“Mixed Views”
Review of Tusan Beach Resort

Tusan Beach Resort
Ranked #26 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We have just returned from holiday
from the tusan beach resort kusadasi, after reading the
reviews we booked this hotel with our friends staying for 10 nights all inclusive. first of all the animation team worked very hard keeping the hotel going 100% top class. the usual sunbed senario all taken with towels, my bigest problem was we paid £5 each for a towel card rufundable at the end of our holiday, it took nearly three hours on first day of our holiday to get a towel to use which was very poor quality and old. we had to keep our towel at times for at least a couple of days due to the laundering service ineficient staff who were not helpful at all. the rooms were basic but clean and had recently been recarpeted. snack bar food excellent all freshly made, buffet repetative most days and nights, alacarte restaurant a waste of time only serving fish or kababs. bar service and drinks were good value for money, disco on till 2am only a limited choice of drinks served. also the disco was full of young teenages and at times some children even though its states on the door min age 18 by law.
any way once again well done to the animation team who kept us going throughout our stay.
we will not return to this hotel
mr arnold & party

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 May 2009

First Holiday to Turkey and the Tusan beach resort. Excellent hotel. The staff were wonderful. Food great Could not find any faults at all. Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I went to the Tusan Beach for a weeks AI stay with my boyfriend. I have to say a lot of the reviews here seem unfair, the hotel may not be up to 5 star standard but it's a turkish hotel, that equals turkish staff and turkish food! Don't go on holiday abroad and complain that the food isn't British!

Room- The room was a pretty good size. We booked a double and ended up with a double bed and a single bed. The air conditioning worked fine in our room, sometimes i woke up the night because i was too cold! The spare bed came in useful for holding our suitcases. We didn't bother unpacking into the wardrobe so can't comment on that. The balcony was also fine but only really used for drying towels and swim wear. The bathroom was clean and there was plenty of space around the sink for toiletries etc. Our room was cleaned and given fresh towels daily. Only slight problem was that the bathroom door didn't actually close, it was always open an inch or two. The mattress and pillows were also pretty hard but didn't stop me sleeping.

Food- Overall the food was good. We only went to breakfast once or twice but there seemed to be enough to choose from, bread, sausages, potatoes, eggs and cheese etc. Lunch at the proper buffet in the restaurant offered plenty of choice with lots of dishes and salads followed by fresh fruits and cake. Dinner was also served in the same restaurant and was generally a larger selection of what was on offer at lunch, plenty of salads, bread, roasted peppers, cheese, along with dishes such as chicken in sauce, beef in sauce etc. There was also a barbecue thing that had fresh cooked meat and a chef was cooking fresh breads filled with meat, cheese etc. I believe there was also a pasta station but i didn't ever use it. And for the those who aren't adventurous or for kids there was usually chips and chicken nuggets. Snacks were available all the time or so it seemed, with burgers, chips, sandwiches, hotdogs, pizza, pasta, turkish meatballs and breads. There was also an A la carte restaurant where you're entitled to 1 meal per stay but we didn't take advantage of ours.

Drinks- AI included soft drinks such as pepsi, lemonade etc, juices, tea, coffee, apple tea, beer, wine and a large selection of local spirits. The bar staff also made up cocktails for you if asked, based on tastes that you said you liked. As far as i can remember there were at least 4 bars serving a variety of drinks, although all were open at different times. We also found out about 2 days before coming home that we needn't have been buying bottled water as the water in their dispensers is mineral water. The measures of alcohol were also huge freepour measures!

Staff- The staff we're all great. We had no use for reception really, but staff seemed efficient and friendly enough. Our cleaner was also friendly although she didn't speak english. Bar staff and restaurant staff were both great. In the week we were there I had one moment were i was slightly uncomfortable with attention from a male barman but i just sent my boyfriend to the bar after that. Our tour operator rep was also pretty good although after booking a trip to ephesus we weren't told that there'd be stops in factories on the way back where we were quite pressured to buy and it wasn't cheap stuff!!

Overall- The hotel was okay, the location wasn't fantastic as it was quite far out of town and the beach wasn't too good in my opinion, i didn't go on it the whole week we were there. The main pool was pretty noisy with music and the entertainment team were quite (overly) keen to get you involved but generally once you said no a couple of times you were left alone. There was also a smaller pool which was nice and quiet and relaxing. Generally we didn't have too many problems getting sunbeds although a lot of the time people did reserve them early. The trip to Adaland waterpark was great, although it's not cheap once you're there and you have to preload money onto a card, can't use cash.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamolly
Reviewed 12 November 2008

My vacation in Kusadasi was in September 2008. Along with some friends, I stayed in Tusan Beach Hotel for one week.

Having heard so many good things about Turkey beaches and services, my expectations were pretty high. That’s why the disappointment I felt when arriving to the hotel was quite significant.

Firstly, the beach seemed wide and well kept on Tusan Hotel website, but, as I discovered it was almost a patch with barriers on both sides from rocks, so an evening stroll along the beach was impossible. Also, during our stay we discovered that the sand was rarely cleaned, probably once a year or something, because one could find cigarettes ends, pieces of plastic and even glass.

The room we were distributed in, the first time, smelled badly (from moist and God knows what) and the windows were looking to the pool and disco. During the day the entertainment team made a lot of noise with loud music, shouting and screaming, and during the evening, until 2, 3 in the morning, the noise came from the disco.
Fortunately, we asked for another room immediately and specifically requested the windows to look over the sea.

The second room was smaller, with two single beds, but at least it didn’t have the smell. Or so we thought. It turned out that the hotel, which is the first one build in Kusadasi - and that was in the 60’s - had a power and heat station working with fuel oil, emanating the whole day a thick, unbearable smoke that entered every day in our room. Unfortunately the smoke was also present from time to time, depending on the wind, also on the beach, at the sea and in the restaurants (actually terraces outside). Each evening, before going to dinner, we had to close all the windows, to prevent the smoke coming in and had to turn on the air conditioning, actually a ventilating system that was as old as the hotel and barely working.

Speaking about the room, have to mention the curtains that were the filthiest ones I have ever seen in my life, and I felt sick every time I had to handle them when going on the balcony. The towels supplied were stained and unusable, the bathroom floor filled with water every time you showered and the toilet basin made a loud noise when filling.

Other problems encountered:
- the “all inclusive” services that were provided like kayaking, pedal boats usage, tennis were also a disappointment;
- there were only 4 or 5 kayaks, but not all had enough rowing sticks;
- if you wanted to play tennis, you had to chase the entertainment team around the hotel and also if you wanted to play in the evening, after dinner, when it was getting dark, you had to pay 30 liras or something…
- the pedal boats, or should I say pedal boat, as it was only one, was also very old and you could only use it for 15 minutes…. And I could go on and on…

But I guess you can get the picture. I wouldn’t recommend this 4 stars (???!!!!) hotel for anyone… ever!

4  Thank imawanderer1
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I went in Kusadasi at the beginning of September with my boyfriend and some friends.

The hotel was the oldest from the resort. The rooms furnished from 1960 when the hotel was opened.
The air conditioning that you would expect to be functioning ,given the fact that Turkey is a "hot" country was an old ventilating installation that didn't help against the heat.
The bathroom was approximately clean and the tub was turning into a "pool" each time you had a shower because the water did not drain properly.

The personnel was not very helpful and they spoke a horrible English. (if you ask for something, assuming they understood you, they would help you if they remember on when they consider it fit)
The beach was very small and not cleaned fully or timely.

In conclusion don't go there because it's not worth it.

2  Thank Catrinel17
Reviewed 30 October 2008

I picked also this hotel through TripAdvisor when it was on the 18th place on Kusadasi Top Hotels, and I found that it wasn’t what some people wrote about.

We went there 6 friends in September 2008 and I must admit I had the chance to sleep in the caves of Cappadocia and I spent more fun there that this 4* (2* by me) stars hotel. To be brief, no excuse for a 4* hotel were:
- was the first hotel erected in this region (around 1960), no argue about this, but I think that most of the things there were from that times (eg. floor carpets, furniture, elevators, etc)
- we had “the pleasure” to negotiate our rooms, even the hotel had plenty off free rooms available, the covering sheet was some kind of towel for that continuous asked the receptionist to send somebody to change it with something else (eg. another bed sheet)
- bathrooms lack hygiene, the bathroom get filled with water every time you showered
- the AC in the room was not working, in fact when started made a lot of noise and air currents but no chill (probably the 1960’s chiller broken)
- noise from time to time (including the AC and some outside pipe installation)
- The meals: breakfast no so great (the same food every day ), the juices made from powder like the famous Tang – deplorable (I think that is filled with Es), their “national” alcoholic drinks – execrable – it I had an alembic I’ve prepared them much better, even some of us hard-bitten drinkers cannot drink these odd substances.
- The beach – small and nice but not cleaned from debris, I’ve found a really nasty broken glace in the sand – and I was lucky to cut myself, the sports equipment that you can use in All Inclusive package was after the WWII, we were lucky not to sunk in the Aegean Sea with the fishes.
- The staff and services – no so great, the schedule in the brochure not respected and even not present.
Conclusion: Cheap hotel – cheap services. I give it 2 starts tops

3  Thank Nalexion
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My husband and I picked this hotel through TripAdvisor and by that, I mean that I read each and every review for Tusan but frankly, the reviewers are far too tolerant to express truthfully the reality. I really don't understand how this hotel could have reached the remarkable 20th place in Kusadasi Top Hotels.
We are not really picky and are easily satisfied and this review does not come out of a whim but of objective perception of reality: the hotel is old and dirty (the carpet has lost its color and is inexcusably stained in many large spots, bathrooms lack hygiene although there is everywhere a persistent odor of chlorine - it solves only the surface cleanliness - stained towels, stained bedspreads, you get the picture). We were put in a room on the fifth floor with a twin bed and one single although we were only two, the A/C was not working but at its 20% of its power, the room looked as it was devastated recently by drunken tourists and was only cleaned afterward, and it might just be true since the hotel is swarming with Russians that get drunk and disorderly everyday (please note that I mean everyday not every night). They are constantly banging doors, shouting, listening to TV in high volume, coming late at night in the rooms and not giving one thought to the others - again shouting and banging.
Secondly, the staff are far from friendly but more likely obnoxious and downright unconcerned about you. I know that maybe I am the single contradicting voice among others who are so pleased with the Turk staff but I will be telling you just one example and I think it's enough: we made reservation for the a la carte restaurant in due time (with three days in advance) at the reception and we went as planned to have dinner there only to find it closed. When asked, the staff at the reception claimed that first, the restaurant was open only on Tuesday. When I protested and explained that I personally made the reservation in a day that was okay-ed by them, the claim that followed was that we had been notified that the restaurant was closed for the day because of bad weather. Not true, of course. Anyway, during all this conversation, which by the way was difficult as English is a language that is known to few, they kept us minutes in front of them without acknowledging we were there and had a problem, kept talking to themselves in Turkish and turned their back to us until I had to literally say "Hellooo, we are still here and you haven't solved the problem yet". Come on, who does that when being nice and helpful to the tourists is your job? I must mention Mr. Rufat as being the one who gets the first prize in the rudeness contest.
However, I must do justice to the following: beautiful pools, nice beach, wonderful garden and restaurant/terrace by the sea, life saving snack bar with the only nice staff. The food is ok but the breakfast is a major disappointment.
Will never go there again. 3* hotel actually.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple