“Rude and outright nasty”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of By Karaaslan Inn

By Karaaslan Inn
Ranked #42 of 154 Hotels in Kusadasi
“Rude and outright nasty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

I consider myself a laid back kind of guy but I do value my money. I was in Turkey helping to teach a class abroad and as a man used to sleeping on hostel roofs a night in a "4" star hotel payed for by my employers is a rare treat. The rooms weren't bad and the location was great and low and behold I had a free dinner. However this is where my stinginess got me in trouble. 5 lira is a lot to ask for a drink soafe a trip to a local convenience store to by drinks and snacks for the following day. I decided to enjoy a Pepsi during dinner but the upset the waiter something fierce and he took my drink right away. I don't ble him, with a free meal the most I can do is buy a drink from the guy so I left a tip equal to the price of a drink and left with the rest of my snacks in a bag. "No No, Forbid!" a man yelled at me on my way to the stairs "no drinks allowed, now give your bag to the front desk". This man was furious with my possession of kola and chip contraband I had purchased for my sel and my students. Well there went 20 lira not to much but enough to get me turning red. What really did it was the reasoning. "Due to hygiene no food or drinks are allowed. Bar is open 24 hours". Extortion is the only word I can think of when a 5 lira mini bar coke is good but a 2 lira coke is unhygienic.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Hewmam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

The hotel is located right near the water and has a good view of the beach and sunset, but that is about all it has going for it.

After eating at the restaurant I developed a severe stomach infection and was hospitalized, although I suppose that's another thing the hotel has going for it - the hospital is right across the road so when you need it, and you will if you eat there, it's very convenient for you to crawl your sorry self across the road and receive the medical attention you desperately need.

In fact, you will find the hospital a better place to stay at then the hotel. The hospital has ocean view rooms with huge comfy beds, you don't even have to drink any water because they hook you up to a bag full of it and they bring you three delicious square meals a day. Tell them I sent you, they'll hook you up.

There are a lot of other hotels in Kusadasi, so choose one of them and avoid the Ozcelik at all costs. Your travel insurer and your small intestine will thank you.

For more information on Turkey visit: http://littlegreybox.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/touring-turkey/

Room Tip: Here's a tip - choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank littlegreybox

Travellers are raving about these Kusadasi hotels

Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I don't know how to explain all the negative reviews here, but our room was very nice, obviously recently remodeled (5th floor), with a balcony facing on the ocean. The room and bathroom were Marriot quality (though smaller) and perfectly clean. Perhaps we were given a remodeled room since we were part of a tour group the hotel favored (?)

Another review here states that there are many lights burnt out in the halls--they aren't, they're on motion sensors. The breakfast and dinner, which come with the rooms (they don't even check your key when you go the buffet since ALL rooms are half board), are typical to Turkish hotels, which means they can get boring quite soon. But here they are quite complete with a lot of choices. Dinner includes a lot of first courses and appetizers in addition to the entrees. The salad ingedients are fresh and inviting. (If only Turkish hotels had more that ONE salad dressing!) There were six or seven dessert choices including eclairs, pies, saturated cakes, and fresh fruit.

However, like many Turkish hotels, drinks OF ANY KIND are not free. They do NOT bring you water. You have to pay for it from the bar attached to the restaurant. We were so pissed off about this that we brought our own water and wine to dinner after the first night. For breakfast, coffee, tea, and juices (Tang) were included with the meal.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mstrasburger
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

Our tour agency booked us in this hotel, which was supposed to be a four-star. As others have noted, it is not. In a small tourist town away from big city we expect to make concessions, but within minutes of arrival we concluded the Ozcelik was simply unacceptable. Many lights in lobby and guest floor hallways were out. The white shower floor was dirty, as was the carpet. It is not permitted to flush toilet paper. It was clear the hotel had several copies of our room key floating around without accountability or knowing how many. Street noise in the lobby and pool areas and rooms with sea view is very loud. The hotel is right on the street - a car accident could practically injure people swimming in the pool or sitting at the bar. We are two experienced female travelers who have hit some pretty odd spots, but we didn't feel safe there. Staff was bored and unconcerned. I don't see how this hotel could have earned four stars based on the facilities when it was new, and now it is long overdue for renovations and refresh. Only positive is location near other hotels, bars, and restaurants in Kusadasi.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank N A
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2011 and got a very good deal on the place. It was not quite the busy season so there was maybe 25% capacity, but the service was fine. Breakfast was typical for Turkey, a bit short of variety but got you through the morning. If good coffee is important you will want to get that elsewhere, but that is also typical Turkey. Dinner was pretty good though, a decent variety and plenty of food. The rooms were spartan and not that clean I suppose, for two guys travelling around it was fine and we were only paying for 2 or 3 stars anyway. The pool was just getting going as we left, but the weather wasn't good enough anyway.

Location was good in the centre of town, good view of the ocean and mountains to the north. We arranged for a rental car for a day to go to the ruins in the south and they dropped off and picked up the car right at the hotel. We also caught the local bus to Ephesus right at the hotel with one transfer to the site.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Not sure who's responsible for rating hotels around here, but clearly not reliable!
One comment to trip advisor before I start - when I booked this hotel, for some reason only positive reviews came up (I booked some time early this month) and I find now that a lot of negative reviews have been added since august of last year. Not quite sure why that would be, as if I had seen these negative reviews I would definitely not have booked this place!

We arrived here 30 mins ago and here's a list of things I already found wrong:
1. The porter didn't help us with our bags. Not like he refused, or was rude.. He just didn't move.
2. Most of the hotel smells of something foul, though I can't quite identify what. Fortunately our room doesnt.
3. The carpet on our floor looks like it hasn't been swept or vacuumed in about a year.
4. Our bathroom floor was wet and the shower area has clearly not been cleaned diligently, resulting in it looking rather grimy.

Did I mention we checked in about 30 minutes ago?

More on this place later!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Newtraveller32012
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

We didn´t choose this hotel, it was included in a tour package and to be honest the service was bad. Nobody helped us with our suitcases and the hotel was old and the rooms were very cold.
I would´t recomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family