“Beautiful Ceramics - Works of Turkish Art”
Review of Sultans Ceramic

Sultans Ceramic
Ranked #1 of 16 Shopping in Avanos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The handicrafts that was started in b.c. 2000 by Hittite Civilization had continued through Iznik designs in 15th century in the Ottoman Empire period so that as the follower of the handicraft traditions, Sultans Ceramic family has introduced the handicrafts by meeting with the art-lovers through its marketing activities in national and international levels and by using its 250 years experience in the area of 4500 m² that was constructed by carving entirely with the hand workmanship in the rock in Avanos in Cappadocia region.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had decided that we wanted to purchase an authentic piece of Turkish ceramic and were referred to this family establishment. Our guide made arrangements as we had limited time so our demonstration was brief but informative and then we got to view the pieces. Magnificent! Three different rooms to view three different qualities. Although we loved the pieces in their best quality, we opted for a purchase of a large plate from their family designs, excellent quality and detailed designs. The first plate we viewed in their family designs, we knew that was the one! Saim was great to deal with, there was no pressure to buy and he was very helpful. I had forgotten to take a picture of the plate which was being shipped to Canada and send Saim an email after returning to our hotel. Saim quickly responded and provided me with a picture. Prior to shipping, I was sent photos of the plate being signed by the ceramic artist and with the plate itself. Once shipped it was delivered within a week in a crate safely packed. I plan to order matching pieces in the future. If you are looking for authentic ceramic art, I certainly recommend Sultans.

AliKasap, Owner at Sultans Ceramic, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2014

Dear Colie,

Thank you for your amazing review ! I am happy for you received your ceramics without any problem. I will tell your review to Saim who is my couisin. We hope to again soon.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"hittite"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was one of the stops from out tour from Gate1 Travel. The studio is inside a cave, quite interesting you see all the skilled maestros working on their pieces. This is a family owned business after a short orinentation you are allowed to explore and take pictures of their ceramics. Since my ballon ride in Capadoccia was cancelled due to the weather I spend my money on a gorgeous Hittite ceramic piece. I negotiated my price which was a little hard, but I bought my piece cash in us currency. The owner was so nice everyone in the group was offered something to drink apple tea or turkish coffee. Very important they do not pressure you to buy anything from them. If you want to buy a piece of ceramic buy one of the high end pieces you will not find them anywhere else!

AliKasap, Owner at Sultans Ceramic, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2014

Dear Vhamnett,

Thank you for your beautiful review ! We hope to again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This family owned business is a beautiful cave full of amazing ceramic pottery. They take you through the steps of a simple piece to putting one together. Never got pushed to buy anything but I definitely got something from there. Their handiwork is extremely skilled and each piece of hand painted. Don't miss their glow in the dark ones with phosphorous.

1  Thank binnyliu

Dear Binnyliu,

Thank you for your beautiful review ! We hope to again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

On a tour, one can be sent into many a sales environment, particularly in Turkey. But by far, one of the most interesting, informative and impressive visits we had on our recent trip was Sultans Ceramic.

Not only did they share technique and history with us, but they also demonstrated a number of different kinds of 'throwing' (raising pottery on a wheel). The guide was a very well spoken young woman who was full of information. Family members from at least three generations were working in the shop.

The colors were rich and vibrant, the welcome was warm.

We were not forced or even cajoled to buy, but i can tell you, if you are looking to purchase a truly gorgeous and historically important piece of ceramic in Turkey this is the place. You will not find anything close to it in quality in the bazaars. We know because we looked!

As a final note, the visit had an adventurous side to it -- they invited one of us in our group to learn how to raise a piece on the wheel, and a young woman in our group agreed. The photos are wonderful, and we all had a great time seeing her try to do it. She did not look silly but we all had a good laugh.

1  Thank CarolTheArtist

Dear CarolTheArtist,

If you know and understand, the difference between our ceramics and bazaar ceramics, we are happy. You knew, how are shaping, drawign, painting, covering with glaze and firing. There are so much workmanship and patience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

As a live long student of design and craftsmanship (textiles in particular but also ceramics) I was very impressed with the expertise showcased at Sultans Ceramics not only in the forming of the works but in the applied designs, both traditional and experimental patterns, the colours, texture and quality of the glazes. That these works are presented to the public in such a happy joyous manner is a bonus. My only regret is that I did not have more time to enjoy these unique showrooms carved out of the volcanic Tuff.
My beautiful work of art arrived 'in the best packaging' the DHL delivery man had ever seen. I will enjoy it for many years to come. It will always bring back happy memories of my visit to Cappadocia.

1  Thank 393Val

Dear 393Val,

Thank you for your beautiful review ! Whenever you want, you can purchase online. We hope to again soon.