“Terrible Service, Terrible Sleep Quality, Terrible Place”
Review of Gultekin Motel

Gultekin Motel
Ranked #67 of 78 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Gultekin Motel surprised me with its sheer failure given its resoundingly good reviews. Gultekin confirmed an online reservation through hotels.com, but declined to respond to emails prior to arrival, and on arrival denied that any reservation existed. Gultekin placed us in a dormitory room instead of a private room as a result, shared with other guests who had also made confirmed reservations, only to be told no reservation existed, and no room was available. The manager refused to apologize for this error, and seemed neither surprised nor caring about his mistake. Hotels.Com later confirmed that a reservation had been made, and that the Gultekin had confirmed receipt of the reservation (accepting my credit card information).

The Gultekin staff was thoroughly unhelpful and disinterested including the manager. Gultekin's room did not have air conditioning as promised, and instead had a heater that would not turn off. Worse yet, the windows did not open, leaving the room extremely hot. The walls were very thing, so we could hear everything in the hotel, and we could hear absolutely everything occurring out on the street (a particularly loud and lengthy cat fight truly completed our experience). Gultekin provided only one key to the dormitory (even though multiple unconnected guests shared it), and refused to lock the door when guests without a key left (saying "there are security cameras, it will be fine.") The internet at the hotel was horrific, reminiscent of dial-up, and the breakfast was limited with too little seating.

Neither my girlfriend nor I got much of any sleep at this hotel, significantly dampening our experience in Cappadocia. It was cheap and well-located, and clean, I will admit -- but I would highly recommend finding alternative lodging. There are plenty of options in Goreme, all nearby, and every tour will pick you up from your hotel, so location really isn't even important.

Room Tip: Do not make online reservation through any third-party service.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This property is on a very nice location. Every thing seems good except internet connection. Only you can use wifi in the common area connote use in the room. Also not good signal as it should be. I had to come to the reception for internet because it is the best place for wifi signal. But staff won't let you stay their in the late evening time because he sleep their also after breakfast they will close for cleaning. If you need good internet connection this place is not ideal for you.
The other things are good as many people already mention.

Room Tip: Not sure if any room has wifi signal. But you should ask from staff at the reception.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Nice location. Near the market, bus station and tourist shop. include buffet Turkey breakfast on terrace

on the terrace you can see many balloon up to the sky in the morning. so beautiful

You can walk around in the city to buy souvenir and fruits or meal , many shop you can choose.

Stayed: February 2557, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PhotoNTravel
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed at the Gultekin for 4 nights and really liked the location which was very central and also the lovely terrace. The room was large and spacious - there was a double and a single bed. The only gripe I had about it was the toilet was tiny and the shower not screened off, so the whole toilet would be wet after we used the shower. Otherwise, we were happy with the room we got which was a lovely stone arch room. Not sure much housekeeping was done while we were there besides making the bed and emptying the bins, though the room seemed clean. The rooms face a courtyard so it can be a bit noisy, like when some people arrived in the middle of the night and were chattering among themselves. Considering that most tourist attractions in Cappadocia were open at 8am, it was a bit frustrating that breakfast was only served from 8am - would have been nice if it was offered a earlier. Breakfast was OK - the standard fare as well as random offerings such as chips and sausages (which were nice!) There was a nice view from the terrace and it was a lovely place to have breakfast when the weather was nice - you could also see hot air balloons in the air when they were in flight! When we were there, we only met one person handling the bookings and he was helpful enough, though once he questioned whether my husband was staying there and my husband had to show him the room key to 'prove' that he did. The balloon flight was arranged for me with Butterfly Balloons and there were no problems, everything was seamless, so that was great. There is no real parking, just a small street behind the hotel next to what looks like a construction site, so we just parked on the roads nearby. All in all, we were very happy at Gultekin - we got a large room for a reasonable price and the location was really good, with easy access to the town and to the Sunset View Hill. Wouldn't hesitate to return to Gultekin if we visit Goreme again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed there four nights, and it was really good.
I cannot forget the view from the rooftop terrace. It's fantastic!!
The breakfast was superb, maybe the best I've ever had in Turkey.
Also, they cleaned up my room everyday. I was so surprised. :)
There is a shower booth, so it's very convenient.

The staff were kind and nice. Even though he's not good at speaking English, he seemed to understand what I said.
Every time I ask something, he directly contacted the Korean manager of Traveler's cave pension by phone. Talking to him was a lot of fun!!

I did the balloon tour with the boss of the Gultekin. lol
He speaks English fluently and has lots of information of Cappadocia.
Because he was a balloon pilot, tour guide now he's an owner of the hotel and a restaurant.
You will see his cafe next to the hotel which is called "Antik".
The atmosphere of there is really good, You should go there.
I really appreciate what he did for me. Such a good boss!!
He knew about Koreans much better than me, and he knows how to please customers.
That's why I had really good time there.
It sounds like I'm a staff of the hotel,,lol Don't get me wrong!! I'm not...lol

I love Cappadocia and I miss everything there.

If you stay in this hotel, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank yschung
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perfect location, clean and nice room, very good breakfast and nice staff. Transfer from and to airport (make sure it is confirmed in advance. I had to call the hotel when I got to the airport)and all assistance to baloon trip and other attractions. Price is ok too. I recommend.

Room Tip: Is possible to see the balloons early in the morning if you choose a room located on terrace side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandra A
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Gultekin Motel is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are gorgeously decorated, and the included breakfast is better than other breakfasts I've had at other hotels.

It is in a good location and a close walk to the viewpoint to see the balloons fly early in the morning.

I'm glad I chose to stay at Gultekin.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends