“Delicious pottery kebab”

Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I wanted to try an authentic pottery kebab on our trip to Turkey and were saving it for Cappadocia as it's the home of pottery making. On our first day in Goreme, we asked one of the staff members at our hotel, Salim, to recommend a good restaurant in the city center for authentic Turkish food and he said that if we were interested in trying pottery kebab, Dibek was the place to go and we happily agreed to try the suggestion. Salim made the reservation for us and placed an order for the beef pottery kebab. At Dibek, you must order and reserve your pottery kebab approx 4 hours in advance as they prepare it so that it comes out of the oven and straight onto your plate at the perfect time; no under/over cooked meat which is common in restaurants in Istanbul!

We arrived a little earlier than our 9 o clock reservation and were taken to a platform with a lower seating arrangement with comfortable cushions and a low table in the center. We decided to try the wine which is made in house (I opted for the white while my husband chose red). Both were lighter than we expected and surprisingly very good. Definitely recommend trying a glass! For starters, I had spiced lentil soup which was quite nice but a little lukewarm and we were served bread (great for mopping up the soup!) and pickled vegetables which were delicious.

We decided to share the beef pottery kebab (which we’d ordered in advance) and a minced chicken dish (Sactava) served with rice. Both mains were absolutely delicious, the meat was perfectly cooked and extremely tender. Although both dishes were a little bland, however, the table has an assortment of local spices which can be added to the meal to achieve the desired taste (our server was very happy to guide us through the various spices) and the meat was the real standout. We ended the meal with Aside, which is a local dessert, which wasn’t something which blew either of us away.

Overall, we were a little apprehensive about the restaurant after reading tripadvisor reviews but were very happy with the meal and glad for the recommendation. We also found eating out in Goreme to be much cheaper than Istanbul so were pleasantly surprised with the bill. Definitely recommend going for the lovely ambience and delicious, authentic food!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

As of August 2014 this restaurant does not take credit cards and were really rude when we asked for an explanation. Normally, I'd let it go but one of the wait staff (a balding Turkish man in his mid 30s) was so rude all evening that I was very put off.

The food and ambiance are great and as long as you don't mind semi-poor service (the other waiter was great) and paying with cash then you are good to go.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We loved getting to try the Clay pot chicken at Dibek. Very traditional cuisine and local wine. Maybe a bit expensive for what you get, but still worth a visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our hotel, Grand Cave Suites, recommended us this restaurant for dinner and we were not disappointed. The restaurant itself is really neat - everyone sits around on pillows with their shoes off. For dinner, my boyfriend and I shared a pottery kebab (beef) so we could try another dish - the okra. The food was, by far, the best I've had in my week and a half in Turkey. It was fresh and incredibly tasty. We also had a bottle of wine from the Cappadocia region, which was also great. It's a little more expensive than the other restaurants around (although all together with two dishes, a bottle of wine, two other drinks, and dessert we only spent 50 euros), but was definitely worth it! I would HIGHLY recommend trying it for a nice dinner. The wait staff was friendly and attentive, but it seemed that they were really busy, so I'd advise making a reservation earlier on in the day as they were turning down people at the door. I'll definitely come back here again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good & tradition facilities, amicable staff, yummy food.
The price is little bit expensive comparing with the others but it's reasonable!