“Good budget option in Goreme”
Review of Ufuk Pension

Ufuk Pension
Ranked #11 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Goreme
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is reasonably centrally located. It is about a 5~10 minute walk from the otogar. Make sure you walk along the Muze Yolu uphills, and check on your right hand side a plaque pointing to the hotel entrance. Its current location in google map (as of May 2014) is WRONG and you might walk all the way to the Open Air museum :-P

Like many other "cave-hotel"s in Goreme, I don't think the walls in your room is really part of the caves, but it is still an interesting experience staying in such a room, very different from the normal hotels we are more used to. The only down sides are the wifi internet signal, which is extremely weak in the room, and to get that you have to sit almost next to the entrance. Also your cellphone may not work in the cave room as well. In the rainy days the room might be a little damp, and since it is a family-run guest house, no housekeeping is provided during your stay (at least for our case). Apart from this, we are happy with our room since it is very spacious and clean. Also the breakfast is ample and you can sit in a nice terrace with excellent view of Cappadocia (AND CATS!)

Like some others have mentioned, the hotel owners are very friendly and they speak good amount of English. They also helped us whenever we have questions, say about the tours, choice of hiking routes, etc. They never insisted selling us tours like many other hotel owners unless we asked, which is quite a relax for us. One thing to keep in mind is that If you make the reservation from booking.com. The hotel actually didn't charge you prior to you arrival, and would rather charge cash in Euros when check-in. But they are very nice in doing the conversion using XE.com to make sure you get the best exchange rate. I would say for its relatively low price, and for all the hospitality from the hotel owners, this is a very good deal in the Goreme area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ufuk Pension

Reviewed 22 June 2014

As said elsewhere already, location is great- just 2-3 houses down the corner of the short main strip. We had a triple cave room for 2 nights downstairs. It was bigger than we expected and very clean. The bathroom works well, with a spacious shower stall, thought the water needs a little time to warm up at first. Soap was provided.

The bedroom was warm enough for us with the blankets provided. There's no TV and the wifi signal is very weak inside- it would keep dropping out, with the most stable signal gettable right next to the wall facing the reception area. If you look at my photos- there is a fist-sized hole carved into the wall to the right of our room window. Maybe it's for ventilation purposes, but what it did was to let in outside noise which disturbed our sleep at times, though only for a short stretch of time. The first night, we could hear voices outside and then chirping noises. The second night, there was constant knocking on someone's door for several minutes, which we believe was an airport shuttle driver looking for a passenger who didn't show up outside. There's no 24hr reception, so the driver had noone to speak to obviously.

Breakfast was good and included in the price- bread, eggs, jams, turkish tea, coffee, apple tea. You can eat indoor upstairs (right next to the reception area), or outdoors where you'll get a nicer view and meet the cat.

Special mention to the staff who really are very friendly and helpful. We arrived late in the night using the shuttle service they organized and a staff member was there to help carry our luggage up the steep-ish driveway and to our room. They also organized our great balloon flights with Andromeda for our first day, which we didn't have to pay for upfront. Then when we didn't have enough cash (which they preferred to be paid in), they allowed us to pay much later, just before we left. They take Lira or Euro, but will just use that day's XE.com rate to do conversions. When one of our tour driver failed to show up, they also called the company for us and sorted it out. Speaking of which, our Andromeda tour driver was also quite late in picking us up, but since reception was not opened that early, we had no choice but to wait. Luckily, they did show up eventually and the meeting place turned out to be just across the road from Ufuk!

Just a note- Booking.com does not charge the full price of the hotel upon booking, like they normally do. So we were surprised when told the room was not paid for yet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Ufuk is situated near the Goreme Open Air Musuem which is 1 km away. The standard room is pretty good for what it is worth. Breakfast is included and they serve you continental breakfast every morning. Everyone is quite friendly there.

Wished the heater in the room was working though. It was quite cold in the morning and night during early June. One more wall socket would be better.

Other than that, nothing to complain. It was a great place to stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Im a travel agent I used to travel around the world frequently. I stayed at Ufuk hotel pension for three days one week ago approximately and I can say that everything has gone perfect, for sure I will recommend it to my costumers..I recommend the cave room, your stay there will become more interesting and historical. I want to give my congrats to the main Manager Ohran for his Kindness, attention to the details, tasty cay and respect. Greetings from Catania!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Ufuk guesthouse is basic but for around 15 € for a single it is value for money.
Orhan and Furkan go over the top to be friendly and helpful to their guests. And I loved to have a cat, just like at home.
I arrived late and it was a freaking cold night -10C. The small room upstairs was like a freezer, my feet froze to the floor of the tiny bathroom. I went to ask for a solution, another room maybe? Yes, that was possible. I got a bigger room downstairs with a slightly larger bathroom that felt slightly warmer. Still I slept with socks and sweater on. Luckily, the next 2 nights it wasn't so cold. During the day the weather was great, plenty of sunshine.
Orhan drove me to the openair museum and offered me a ride to the Sarihan. My driver was
Sefa. The nephew with a taxi who also drove me around for a full day for a decent price. He is good company and we had a nice day. I must say I enjoyed my brief stay a lot.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann254
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Le camere e il bagno sono frugali e abbastanza pulite, ma il vero asso nella manica di questo posto è la terrazza, con una vista incredibile sui Camini delle Fate, davvero piacevole per consumare l'abbondante colazione al mattino o bere qualche drink al tramonto. La posizione non potrebbe essere più comoda: a 10 minuti a piedi dall'Open Air Museum e dall'imbocco di almeno tre sentieri che permettono di esplorare le valli da soli e senza acquistare tour organizzati. L'unico inconveniente è successo all'arrivo: l'autista del transfer dall'aeroporto ci ha lasciato senza spiegazioni in un altro hotel, dove il guardiano di notte non parlava una parola di inglese. Abbiamo poi scoperto che per quella notte la pensione era piena e il gestore ci aveva trasferito d'ufficio in un altro hotel: la camera sostitutiva era molto più lussuosa di quella per cui avevamo pagato, ma le difficoltà di comunicazione (il guardiano non era in grado nemmeno di darci una cartina per capire dove eravamo) e lo stress dello spostamento il giorno dopo hanno un po' guastato l'atmosfera.

The room and bathroom (at least the cheaper ones) are nothing fancy, but the terrace of Ufuk Pension is spectacular: it offers, I think, one of the best views in Goreme, because the Fairy Chimneys are right there under your eyes (it is worth waking up at dawn to see the hot-air balloons rising in the sky). Breakfast is good and rich. The staff is nice. The location is perfect: a 10 minutes stroll takes you to the Open Air Museum (it is a good idea to go there as early as possible) and to the start of some hiking trails (highly recommended: the landscape is really unique).
The only downside: we arrived in the night, after having booked some months in advance, and the shuttle driver dropped us off to another hotel, without explanation. The person in charge of that hotel couldn't speak a word (and I mean a word) of English. After some very embarrassing effort to understand each other, I was able to speak to the Ufuk manager on the phone and I discovered that the Pension was full for that night. He promised to come and fetch us first thing the morning after, and this is what he did, so the problem was soon solved. The room of the other hotel was actually much nicer and expensive than the one we had paid for, but the impossibility to communicate was really frustrating and the unpleasant surprise partly ruined the mood of our arrival.
I would suggest to manage these problems in a different way in the future (it would be enough just to send a e-mail to explain the situation or putting an English-speaking person to welcome the guests), but I still recommend Ufuk Pension: it's a charming place to enjoy the magic of Cappadocia.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had hoped to stay in a dorm room but these don't exist anymore so we took a double room. The room was small but cozy with good heating and plenty of hot water which you need in March. There is a nice spot where you eat the decent breakfast or hang out in the evening. Staff were polite and welcoming. Good location in the village.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple