“Unforgettable Cappadocia Experience”
Review of Ufuk Pension

Ufuk Pension
Ranked #13 of 36 Speciality Lodging in Goreme
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I chose to stay at Ufuk Pension because I read beforehand that Orhan, the owner, would help organize my trip. When I arrived, he first sat down with me and helped me plan my time based on my trip priorities. Honestly, my trip to Cappadocia wouldn't have been nearly as rewarding without his help, and I am truly grateful to Orhan for this. He helped me to make the most of my limited time there, and I spent two very packed and memorable days in Cappadocia. Thank you Orhan, you helped to make my trip fantastic. If you want an affordable, clean place to stay in Cappadocia with a friendly owner who will also serve as an excellent concierge, choose Ufuk Pension.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Leland S

Reviewed 24 July 2014

On our first day in Goreme, Orhan the owner took us out to watch the most glorious sunset on a warm July evening. It was such a relaxing evening after the stress of work and was just the right start to our family holiday. Orhan personally fixed a brilliant Guvech for us.

Ours was the cave room with an en suite bath. Although it was quite hot outside the room was cool and very comfortable. The shower was hot, wonderful and relaxing with great water pressure.

The kids enjoyed the company of 'Lazy', Orhan's cat who was a source of great entertainment during our stay.

While we are full of praise for the facilities, the staff (Ahmed and Shaheen, the Mongolian help) and the ambiance, we did have a situation where Orhan seemed to have significantly overcharged us for the balloon ride and when asked about it he got very defensive and hostile.

We thought a lot about this but thought this required mentioning as Orhan wasn't altogether honest and that, I strongly believe left us with a rather bitter experience.

Room Tip: The cave room is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sunil E
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Ufuk Pension is in a good position for the village of Goreme and also for the Open Air Museum. We arrived very early in the morning but we were able to check in and go to our room straight away. The room was clean and it was quite a novelty to be in a cave room. Although our room was en suite, the bathroom for the other rooms was right outside our room and it got a little noisy when people were getting up to go for their early morning balloon flight. The staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all a nice budget option for a stay in Cappadocia.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sparkles1027
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is reasonably centrally located. It is about a 5~10 minute walk from the otogar. Make sure you walk along the Muze Yolu uphills, and check on your right hand side a plaque pointing to the hotel entrance. Its current location in google map (as of May 2014) is WRONG and you might walk all the way to the Open Air museum :-P

Like many other "cave-hotel"s in Goreme, I don't think the walls in your room is really part of the caves, but it is still an interesting experience staying in such a room, very different from the normal hotels we are more used to. The only down sides are the wifi internet signal, which is extremely weak in the room, and to get that you have to sit almost next to the entrance. Also your cellphone may not work in the cave room as well. In the rainy days the room might be a little damp, and since it is a family-run guest house, no housekeeping is provided during your stay (at least for our case). Apart from this, we are happy with our room since it is very spacious and clean. Also the breakfast is ample and you can sit in a nice terrace with excellent view of Cappadocia (AND CATS!)

Like some others have mentioned, the hotel owners are very friendly and they speak good amount of English. They also helped us whenever we have questions, say about the tours, choice of hiking routes, etc. They never insisted selling us tours like many other hotel owners unless we asked, which is quite a relax for us. One thing to keep in mind is that If you make the reservation from booking.com. The hotel actually didn't charge you prior to you arrival, and would rather charge cash in Euros when check-in. But they are very nice in doing the conversion using XE.com to make sure you get the best exchange rate. I would say for its relatively low price, and for all the hospitality from the hotel owners, this is a very good deal in the Goreme area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

As said elsewhere already, location is great- just 2-3 houses down the corner of the short main strip. We had a triple cave room for 2 nights downstairs. It was bigger than we expected and very clean. The bathroom works well, with a spacious shower stall, thought the water needs a little time to warm up at first. Soap was provided.

The bedroom was warm enough for us with the blankets provided. There's no TV and the wifi signal is very weak inside- it would keep dropping out, with the most stable signal gettable right next to the wall facing the reception area. If you look at my photos- there is a fist-sized hole carved into the wall to the right of our room window. Maybe it's for ventilation purposes, but what it did was to let in outside noise which disturbed our sleep at times, though only for a short stretch of time. The first night, we could hear voices outside and then chirping noises. The second night, there was constant knocking on someone's door for several minutes, which we believe was an airport shuttle driver looking for a passenger who didn't show up outside. There's no 24hr reception, so the driver had noone to speak to obviously.

Breakfast was good and included in the price- bread, eggs, jams, turkish tea, coffee, apple tea. You can eat indoor upstairs (right next to the reception area), or outdoors where you'll get a nicer view and meet the cat.

Special mention to the staff who really are very friendly and helpful. We arrived late in the night using the shuttle service they organized and a staff member was there to help carry our luggage up the steep-ish driveway and to our room. They also organized our great balloon flights with Andromeda for our first day, which we didn't have to pay for upfront. Then when we didn't have enough cash (which they preferred to be paid in), they allowed us to pay much later, just before we left. They take Lira or Euro, but will just use that day's XE.com rate to do conversions. When one of our tour driver failed to show up, they also called the company for us and sorted it out. Speaking of which, our Andromeda tour driver was also quite late in picking us up, but since reception was not opened that early, we had no choice but to wait. Luckily, they did show up eventually and the meeting place turned out to be just across the road from Ufuk!

Just a note- Booking.com does not charge the full price of the hotel upon booking, like they normally do. So we were surprised when told the room was not paid for yet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Ufuk is situated near the Goreme Open Air Musuem which is 1 km away. The standard room is pretty good for what it is worth. Breakfast is included and they serve you continental breakfast every morning. Everyone is quite friendly there.

Wished the heater in the room was working though. It was quite cold in the morning and night during early June. One more wall socket would be better.

Other than that, nothing to complain. It was a great place to stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Im a travel agent I used to travel around the world frequently. I stayed at Ufuk hotel pension for three days one week ago approximately and I can say that everything has gone perfect, for sure I will recommend it to my costumers..I recommend the cave room, your stay there will become more interesting and historical. I want to give my congrats to the main Manager Ohran for his Kindness, attention to the details, tasty cay and respect. Greetings from Catania!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends