“Magical Experience!”

Ranked #34 of 72 Hotels in Goreme
brisbane
“Magical Experience!”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Dervish Cave exceeded our expectations in all areas! Beautiful rooms and conveniently located. Hosts are very welcoming and helpfull, they organised some great activities for us (hiking, horse riding, quad bike adventure, hot air balloon). Action packed but also extremely relaxing. Yummy breakfast as well. We will be visiting this lovely part of the world again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The hotel is very well located in Göreme. The owner of the place and the staff is very helpful friendly. This is really magic to wake up in the morning with the Hot Ail Ballon sound flying over our head early in the morning. I stronlgy recommand the place if you wish to relax and enjoy your holiday in this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Fonthill
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We had a great time at Dervish Cave House. We spent 4 nights in room 8 (by far the best cave room in the hotel). The staff was excellent and helps make all your tours.
We did the hot air balloon ride which was awesome. We also did the green tour which was very nice but be warned, you should wear good hiking shoes and there is a lot of walking and climbing. We also rented a scooter to tour the area and Dervish called ahead to the company to ensure they would give us a good price.
Overall, a great hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I have travelled to Goreme a few times and stayed in diffrent places but the cave house was without dout the best. The rooms are great, loads of room yet really cosy. the jet bath is also a special treat. Dervish is a very plesent hoast and is very helpfull if you want to arrange anything in the local area.

Its a great place to experience a great Goreme welcome.

Many thanks Dervish, ill definately be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank George R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We spent 3 nights at the Dervish Cave House. We had one cave room (no air con) and one non cave room (air con) The cave room was reasonably cool during the nights but we did leave the windows open and the noise of the Call to Prayer, and the drums for Ramadan were pretty loud. We slept okay though as our daily activities ensured we were nice and tired.

The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were good.

The breakfast was okay - the usual Turkish breakfast offerings and it was nice to sit out on the garden terrace to have breakfast each day.

The location of the hotel is good - it's just a 5 min walk into town.

We took Cemal's advice for most of our activities and he was able to tailor a tour to suit us.
(I mention these activities on this hotel review as they are all promoted by the hotel manager. )

THE GOOD/GREAT
- We did a half day tailor-made tour of the main sights we wanted to see with Cemal driving us around.
- We went to the Whirling Dervish Ceremony at the caravanserai and I found it mesmerising - a highlight of our trip.
- We did the Kappadokya balloon ride - 1.5 hour deluxe flight. It was great despite the winds being light we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our pilot Graham managed to land us in some obscure location that took the crew ages to find us and come and get us! Part of the fun, I guess.
- My son and I hired quad bikes for 2 hours and we had a ball. After a few minutes on the training track we headed off with guides - it was much more demanding than I'd expected but enjoyed the experience. My son (22) and the two guides took off and did the full course and had a load of fun, while I opted to stay on safer ground and just rode around more sedately. A great experience - and well worth the money.

THE BAD
- We ate at the SOS restaurant at Cemal's suggestion but it was appalling - the service was pathetic and the food barely edible (almost invariably the food in Turkey had been great) I would not recommend the SOS resturant at all.
- We booked a 2 hour horse riding session for the three of us - all beginners. The horse riding company picked us up and took us to the "ranch". We were promptly put on hores with NO instruction at all, and my horse was fidgetting around and within 5 minutes I decided not to proceed. Another man from our group of 5 horses had already abandoned his ride!
Within 10 minutes my partner also returned - concerned with the erratic behaviour of his horse.

So out of the 5 horses that set off, only 2 continued for the 2 hours. My son, perservered with his horse - despite it kicking and bucking and the other horse had a man and his little daughter on it - and that horse behaved itself. We were very disappointed that we were given horses that were clearly not suitable for beginners - and no offer of a refund or a discount was made. Our money was just wasted. I would not recommend Rainbow Ranch unless you are a competent rider.

THE ANNOYING
The beautiful old mulberry tree in the courtyard at the hotel was dropping its fruit in great quantities and two pieces of my clothing were ruined / stained by the fruit as I had to brush up against the tree to get up the stairs to my room. I felt the branches should have been cut back from the stairs. I asked the hotel staff if they could get the stain out of my khaki pants (the second clothing to be stained) and they did remove the stain - with bleach! So now the pants have a bleach mark....

Overall, I'd recommend the Dervish cave house hotel - but just watch the mulberries!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank EagerDingo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Great place for a vacation. Dervish Cave House is located in the heart for Gerome, 5 minutes walk from the shopping and eating parts of the town. Also, if you want to enjoy a panoramic view of the Goreme, just walk up the hill from the hotel for 5 minutes and there is the entire valley open in front of you leading to some good hiking trails with caves and fairy chimneys. The hotel is family owned with nice big comfortable airconditioned rooms with private en-suite bathrooms. To add to the charm, the rooms are in a natural cave. My room had a flat screen TV and a fireplace. My bathroom had a standup shower as well as a jetted tub, something you see in high end hotels.
Internet is complementary and for those of us who travel without a laptop, there is a computer at the reception which is for the guests to use.
Breakfast is complementary with traditional Turkish breakfast as well as hot breakfast including eggs served in a variety of forms as well as French toast (all made fresh when you ask for them), along with tea and coffee. You can have breakfast in the dining room or the lawn that has a great view of the town and the caves.
Cemal (pronounced Jemal in English) is the owner of the place and happens to be an excellent hot air balloon pilot as well. Very cordial and a true gentleman, he was a great resource for me. Rest of the hotel staff is very friendly and accomodating as well. They arranged the shuttle to and from Kayseri airport for me along with the hot air balloon ride and a sightseeing tour, all with pick up and drop off at the hotel. Cemal drove myself and some other hotel guests to the Whirling Dervish ceremony and waited outside for an hour for us to get done before driving us back - you don't get that kind of personal attention at a lot of places.
For me, all I had to do was reach Kayseri and from there onwards I was pampered till my flight back.
I had a great time during my stay at Dervish Cave House and would definitely stay there the next time I go to Goreme. I recommend Dervish Cave House with all the confidence that your stay will be as pleasant as mine.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank irtazakhan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed in a spacious triple room which was tastefully decorated with a chimney in the corner overlooking the rose garden. We enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi after a long day walking. The breakfast had a good selection including home made mulberry jam made from the 250 years old mulberry tree in the courtyard. The garden itself is an oasis, colourful flowers in front of the 'fairy chimney' and overlooking the Goreme village.

The manager was a good host and personable. He gave us a good tip of a nearby sunset spot and organised the hot air balloon ride and airport transfer for us. The staff are friendly and cooked delicious made to order breakfast such as french toasts and cheese omelette.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family