“Amazing Cave Room in Goreme!”
Review of Dervish Cave House

Dervish Cave House
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed in Room 4, which is on the ground floor, and the room was indeed very spacious! Partly because there were only myself and husband, and we had a double bed and 2 single beds!

The jacuzzi spabath was a most welcome sight; although the bathroom is a bit dark.
Living in a cave hotel is quite exciting but the lighting was inadequate.

The breakfast was good, and they make their own jams from the blackberry tree inthe garden.
The view from the garden is spectacular, and it was wonderful having breakfast in the morning with the hot air balloons rising from the horizon.

The location of the hotel is great, except that it is quite a steep climb from the bottom of the hill to the hotel, each time you get to the village centre. Hotel is very near all the eateries and restaurants and convenience stores.

Other tips on sightseeing in Goreme
They will try to sell you the various green and red tours, and in my opinion, these trips are a bit expensive. You can easily do the green tour (which includes the visit to the Underground city) on your own.
Just at the Bus Station, there is a dolmus which leaves for Neveshir every half-hour of the clock, and when you arrive in Neveshir about 20 min later, you can actually catch another dolmus to the 2 underground cities of Kaymakli and Derinkuyu. Kaymakli is much nearer (only another 30 min after Neveshir) as compared to Derinkuyu.

Locals advise me that the 2 are similar, except that Derinkuyu is much deeper (8 levels), and Kaymakli is bigger.

Once you are underground, honestly, they all look the same, so you might as well save your time travelling and go to the nearer one!

The last thing, if you can, do the Hot Air Balloon thingy! It's really worth the price, and the views are spectacular. There are apparently different sizes of baskets, and do ask for the smaller baskets so that there are fewer people up in the air, and you can see better!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mao2
There are newer reviews for Dervish Cave House

Reviewed 8 September 2012

We had room 1 and loved everything about it - so cosy! The bed was comfy and relaxing in the spabath (jacuzzi) after a day of touring was just what we needed. The hotel is in an excellent location and has great views. Do go hot air ballooning if you get time - it's fantastic!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We staying at the Devish Cave House for two nights on 13 and 14 August. I can't fault the location of the hotel, and the accomodation was very good. Although the lighting in the room was inadequate and the TV did not work, our room was more spacious than expected and the hot tub was a nice surprise. However, the service we received was disappointing. On both mornings, breakfast was served by a male staff member. He was surly and most unfriendly (and not just towards us). I am certain that we would not have been served anything from the cooked menu or been offered tea or coffee had we not approached him and placed an order. He appeared resentful that he had to serve us. On our last morning, I asked him if it would be alright if we checked out of the hotel at 12.00pm (instead of 11.00am) - the hotel did not seem busy at all. I received a flat "No". I then asked him where we could leave our luggage as our flight did not leave until later that day. He told me that the Manager would be back in our hour and I could ask him then. I told him that I was not willing to wait around for an hour as we had planned to go to the Open Air Museum that morning so he got the Manager on the phone for me. I took the opportunity to ask the Manager (who was not Cemal - he was apparently on holiday) if we could check out an hour later and said it would be no problem.

However, our experience with the Manager was not entirely smooth. I booked our airport transfer through him. He advised me that it could take an hour to get to Neveshir airport and so he booked a shuttle for us at 5.00pm (our flight left at 7.40pm). He told us that sometimes the shuttle turned up early and so we should be ready to leave at 4.45pm which we were. At 5.10pm, the shuttle had not arrived. The Manager was lying asleep in the dining room (we saw him doing this alot) and so I woke him up to tell him. He rang the shuttle company and then informed me that the shuttle was running about 40 minutes later. He didn't apologise for the fact that we had to sit in the stifling heat for an hour waiting for the shuttle, and offered us a drink just five minutes before the shuttle was due to arrive.

One other gripe. I realised the day after we checked out that I had left my makeup bag in the hotel room. I would be very surprised if the room had not been cleaned sometime between 11.30am (when we checked out) and 5.50pm (when we left). However, it was never handed back to me.

There are a lot of cave hotels in Goreme. For the foregoing reasons, I would recommend looking at other hotels before booking a room at the Dervish Cave House.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Victoria1807
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We booked our hotel also via internet(Booking.com). It was Dervish Cave House Hotel in Goreme. We spent two nights there and I can’t really complain. It is very stylish. See photos. The room we had was carved in the soft tufa stone; a truly unique experience. It was rather sparsely furnished. The bathroom was fitted with a medium size jacuzzi bath tub. It would have been great had it not been for the fact that they had failed to maintain it properly i.e.: purge the tubing after each guests with a disinfectant. Otherwise you get all the dirt into your bath, which frankly is disgusting and off putting. The hotel is only a little B&B but quite charming with a small garden and lawn to seep your tea(chay) on in the last rays of the sun setting over Goreme. Fantastic! Miniscule courtyard is overshadowed by an ancient mulberry tree. In poor weather you can have your breakfast inside with great views through panoramic windows over the village and tufa chimneys. Staff there is friendly and helpful; some speak reasonably good English. We had our dinners at an Old Cappadocia Restaurant(more comfortable) and Meeting Point Café(nice view from the upper balcony). Both nice but in a different way. Try local specialties

Room Tip: go for a superior room but do not use jacuzzi mode! :-)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We spent two nights at the Dervish Cave House last week - and found that in terms of location, price and overall charm - the hotel exceeded our already very high expectations.

We had arrived extremely early in the morning, and were able to find the hotel after some brief rambling around Goreme. The room was a welcome sight after a 15 hour bus journey from Kalkan! Aside from the overall charm of the room, the bath/jacuzzi and television were also much appreciated.

I loved waking up at 6am and being able to stroll out from the room and see the hot air balloons floating above Goreme. Furthermore, the proximity of the sunset point - a mere 3 minute walk up the hill was also highly convenient.

Our only gripe was the unfriendly (bordering on downright hostile) welcome we received on arrival, and the fact we were berated for booking our balloon trip with another company. I realise that my comment is in direct conflict with the vast majority of reviews on here - and can only conclude that we must have caught staff at a very bad time.

Negatives aside, the Dervish Cave House is a special place - and room rates are exceptionally good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kovachall
Reviewed 8 July 2012

nice large rooms with each room having a hot tub... walking distance from the city centre. Decent breakfast.. No lunch or dinner available though.
Friendly staff who'll guide you around Goreme and sights in other towns too.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here while we were in Cappadocia. Cemal and his hotel made our stay very excellent. The hotel is nice and cozy and you can get the feel of living ala flintstones. It has a great location just a short walk to the Goreme city center and to a amazing overlooking view point. They arranged our airport pickups, turkish night and tours also. Book your hot airballoon tour from here too and Cemal was our pilot who is well experienced.

If you're planning to stay in Goreme, Dervish Cave House is the best option and great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple