“Disappointed”

Ranked #69 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
turkey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

The room was lovely and simple cave room, so a dissappointment when we order and pay for a delux room and it smells like sewage from the bathroom.. So strong that we opted to leave the window open than secure our room during the day. And lit strong candles to hide the smell when bathing. We stayed a week and had a tiny waldrobe with two coat hangers. Breakfast was barely there. Could be cleaner tider in general. Wouldnt pay the extra for a dulux room again. And wouldnt hold your expectations high. Def. Not how it is advitised on website. But we did have a bed to sleep in and free coffee and tea all day.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My travel agency (Volare Travel Agency) booked me in this hotel when i bought a 2day1night package to Cappadocia while I was in Istanbul.

I stayed for a night at Lalezar Cave Hotel. As advertised, it was a room furnished out of a cave-hole, so it was very authentic.

Inside the room, there was a flat screen TV, mainly Turkish channels but there was an MTV channel playing english pop songs. There was also a dressing table with mirror with short stool, standing shower with hair-dryer/hot water, a phone and a heater. Small bottles of shampoo and soap were also provided. The bathroom sink tap was leaking a little so I was careful not to turn it on too much/hard. My room had no windows but it was ok for me.

One of the 3 lamps in the room was not working but again, it was ok because i didn't think the 3rd lamp would have made the room any brighter.

No complimentary water, nor was there a hot-kettle, provided but a 1.5 litre of mineral water can be bought for 1 lira at a grocery/snack shop 5-10mins down the slope from where the hotel was located.

The bedsheets looked worn but felt clean.

Dinner was not served at the hotel when I went to enquire at 8plus pm. There were a few restaurants down the slope and next to where the grocery shop is located where i got my dinner so it was alright. The hotel was not too expensive so I wasn't expecting a lot.

Wifi was very weak inside the rooms so I didn’t manage to log on in my room. However, you will be able to log on near the reception area.

Apart from the other cave hotels, there was a few small grocery/snack shops, several restaurants and a few souvenir shops in the 10-15min walking vicinity of the hotel (I did not venture too far out by myself).

Because i only stayed for one night and took the early morning hot air balloon the next day, i did not try out the breakfast so had no comments about it.

I have never stayed at a cave-hotel and am not too sure what to expect of staying in Cappadocia, which seemed still a relatively rustic and un-commercialized area.

The only slight complaint I have was that because I am a solo female traveller, my hotel room did not have a peep-hole and there was no bolts/latch to manually secure the door from inside. The door locks automatically when I close it though. But anyone with a key can open it from outside. Further, the hotel compounds were not gated so any strangers can roam inside.

Hotel staff was generally helpful and looked young. They managed to get my hot air balloon ride* and airport transfer sorted out in the end, so I have no complaints.

* When I enquired about the hot air balloon the day before, one of the youths at the reception told me that it will start 5am to 530am. He kept saying they “will get back to me” when I tried to ask exactly what time I should get ready and how they will get back to me. No one got back to me eventually, so the next morning, I duly got ready and waited at the reception area at 5am. The reception youth did not turn up till 6.15am and informed that the pick-up will be at 630am-645am as they were still checking for the weather. No apologies given but I was so tired from waking up so early and just grateful that we were proceeding with the hot air balloon, that I decided not to make a big fuss out of it.

For the amenities and the very affordable price, I would rate this hotel 4 out of 5 stars. I was just very glad that there was hot water to bath with, and i got home in one piece!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 26 January 2014

average rooms, but extremely dusty and could have been maintained way better for a cave suite
no internet, no lunch or breakfast facility, a bit lifeless

Staff were good and helpful

advantages: proximity to the town market which is way more lively

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Our travel agent in Istanbul booked us into a suite in this hotel. It looked good on the website,
The room we were booked into was a suite. According to their website this room is a suite with an extra large king sized bed with a super length of 6.5 feet, and 70 square metres of space.

They put us in a very small standard room (25 square metres which they claim in their advertising to be 40 square metres) for the first night claiming they did not know we had booked a suite. -The price we paid for the room would have told them that - $552 AUD for the 4 night stay. The next day they changed us to a "suite". We waited on the street for 45 minutes for access to the suite room after arriving back from a tour at 3:30pm. (Check in is 2pm, the room was empty before we left in the morning - all that had to be done was to clean it for our stay)

The bed was a normal queen sized bed.
The bathroom was appalling - it was dirty, leaking and virtually unuseable. The shower head holder was broken off, the taps were leaking, there was mould and filth around the shower. The single sink was covered in mould, the toilet seat was too small for the toilet, and the radiator was constantly leaking water over the bathroom floor.
There were no glasses provided for drinking water.
As a suite room, you would expect there to be a fridge. There was none.
The TV which was very old technology and very small, did not work at all, nor were instructions provided on how to use this.
The included breakfast was the worst we have encountered here in Turkey.We had to buy our own breakfast.

In summary - this hotel was a backpackers hostel and not a hotel - it was dirty and falling apart. The stay here totally spoilt our trip to Cappadocia which we were really looking forward to.
It was not worth even half the money we paid.

Shame on you for ripping people off!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynette v
1980love, Yönetici at Lalezar Cave Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
reflects the actual facts of his guests.
4 nights camped in our hotel.
Room is a standard error of the first night they were AGENCY.
En-suite rooms have been reserved for them then passed.
Not a standby time of 45 min for the room outside.
Round out a very early hour afternoon tour of their agency.
5:00 or 5:30 for all the agencies as a normal round end of time. 03:00 Back at the hotel, such as daily cleaning of the room made.
They waited for him for more than 10 min.
The hotel was paid $ 552 an agent is not paid in istanbul.
Our hotel rates booking.com see it in.
we do not charge a room so expensive.
Chur, Graubunden, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had booked a suite over the internet. The private terrace and the cave rooms had looked very tempting on the net. When we arrived, we noticed that the pictures on their website and also on booking.com look much better than the reality. We were confronted with carelessness: The private terrasse had not - as suggested on the pics - a hammock (a level lower, there was a rusty arrangement of rods), but only two overaged, shabby chairs. The room smelled musty and was not very clean. The interor was old. Even tough the room called suite was relatively big, there were not cuboards or shelves or something to put the luggage and the cloths in. Puristic would be the positiv term to describe it, shabby is more like it. To top it, the breakfast wasn't worthy to be called that.

The hotel probably was in a better state some years ago. Now, I can honestly not recommend it. Their offer is not convincing. And you get comparable rooms for half the price, as we found out later on. After one night, we moved to another hotel in Göreme - and got a cosy cave room with stunning terrace for about half the price.

A praise for the manager of the hotel, Ramazan, however: He was very understanding and helpful. Thank you for that! It made a bad experience a little better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brigitte K
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The staff were very kind, helpful and hardworking, but the rooms were grubby & needed maintenance. These are not caves but a room dug out of the side of the limestone hill so no natural ventilation and quite gritty, too. All part of the experience, I guess!

Perhaps it was the travel agent in Istanbul but it took two moves before I finally got the room I booked. Altough advertised on the website, the TV, telephone, etc were not in evidence in two of the three rooms I saw. There are no fridges in any of the rooms I saw but staff will provide a bucket of ice if you ask.

There are a lot of stairs and, apart from Koy Evi Restaurant a couple of doors away, the town is a fair hike down a steep hill if you want a meal.

Interesting place to visit but Urgup is nicer.

Room Tip: Very quiet rooms throughout, good views from upper levels but be prepared for stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
binghamton, ny
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I share the opinions of others -- this was a good choice from the standpoint of value and the friendliness of the staff. The rooms themselves could use a bit of updating (could not figure out how to make the ancient tv work) but everything else made up for that. Kapadokya is amazing and this is a good hotel to use as a base....

Room Tip: There are different types of rooms -- some are really cave rooms, others a combo of cave and masonry...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends