“Great stay..”

and 1 more site!
Spelunca Cave Suites
Ranked #43 of 76 Goreme B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a fantastic time in Goreme and really enjoyed our stay at Spelunca Hotel. We stayed two nights and had a quiet and lovely room with a spacious and clean bathroom. The hotel had great breakfast with new selections each day. You can eat inside or outside in the garden for breakfast depending on your preference. The hotel didnt have dinner facility so they arranged our dinner at near by restaurant . The hotel is at short walk to local shops and cafes, and there is a panoramic location nearby to the hotel for great photos. we had great time there . The staff were very helpful, and assisted us well. All tours picked us up and returned us to the hotel so we just relaxed in the sunny courtyard while we waited. We watched world cup final with other guests . The owner of the hotel is a french lady. Very friendly and warm. Had great time there. Highly reccomend but if you have knee problem pls avoid it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pinki9

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 days and loved being here. The property is nice and the staff is very friendly and we received a very warm welcome from the owners which made our stay even better! I thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would like to recommend it to everyone! Cheers...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jasneet_Narula
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When we checked-in, the room was dirty and not ready at all. Toilet was dirty as well. Our check in time was 1 pm but still we came late to hotel as we were having lunch outside. Than upon arrival in this hotel Room was not ready. Which is a bad service. Plus the Toilet is really bad. All the dirty stuff were coming back from the Toilet. Flash was not working at all. The Manager is really useless, does not understand what we were saying. Always negative. And the morning breakfast, also dull. Nothing special. very limited options. To me this a bad hotel with bad service. Will never come back here again.

Room Tip: Should focus on guest service and room cleanliness first
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dilshad1986
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stay ther for two nights.Staff was friendly and the breakfast was awesome with lots of choices.Original Turkish Breakfast being serve.

House keeper done a great job upkeet the room.As for the locatikn it is just nice at the heart of Goreme

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I feel bad doing this review because the owner of the hotel (a French woman) was very nice with us, but I need to tell my story because what happened to us in that hotel must never happen again to other travelers, and they have to pay for that manager's (I believe he would be the owner's brother in law) lack of honesty.

When I traveled throughout Turkey, I sometimes took the initiative of booking with the hotel directly instead of going through an online booking website such as booking.com, so the hotel wouldn't have to pay a 15% commission. My way of being nice with Turkish people and encouraging their business.

When I went to Spelunca hotel looking for a room, it was very late, maybe 11PM. The hotel had a room left for us and the manager proposed me 120 TL for the night. I had checked the price previously on booking.com and it was announced at 130 TL, so his offer made sense since it was very late and there were very little chances for him to book the room with another customer, on top of the fact he wasn't paying any commission. I went with him to visit the room. The manager told me it was his last room and proposed I could move to a deluxe room for the same price the next day if I wanted. I could guess he was proposing this because his last room available was actually for 3 people and not 2, and he was hoping maybe 3 people would rent that room the next day instead of just 2, so they would pay a higher price for the same room.

So we spent the night in the room. It felt quite humid in there, so in the morning I went to visit neighboring rooms as they were being cleaned by their staff. They did not feel as humid, so I asked the management if I could change to one of those rooms just liked the manager had proposed the night before. They accepted and moved us to a room for 2 people, but to one of those at the upmost floor of the hotel. While the room quality seemed better at first, it later became just as humid as the first room. We figured it was maybe because since the rooms were carved in ash rock, it was a usual thing. So we dealt with it. There were other small problems but nothing major. The shower was broken among other things. They fixed it the same day. We did not complain about anything else.

We spent 2 more nights in that room on the last floor, for a total of 3 nights in the hotel.

When came the moment to check out, I was expecting to pay 120 TL per night, for a total of 360 TL. To my astonishment, the very same manager was now asking 200 TL per night, pretending we had a misunderstanding about the pricing 3 days before. Without thinking, I just payed 600 TL right away. Going back to my car, it just did not feel right so I went checking the price again on booking.com, and the price nothing near 200 TL, not even for the most expensive room they had. An equivalent room was bookable for 130 TL just like it was before our first night, so I went back to the front desk and challenged him about the price. They pretended they had just lowered the price from 200 TL to 130 TL on the website, so the normal price of 200 TL applied to us. They also pretended we had moved to a deluxe room for the last 2 nights, so it was more expensive. But then why was 200 TL was applied for the 3 nights and not just the last 2? It did not make sense.

I was outraged because I tried to be nice to avoid them 15% commission on booking.com. but he took advantage of the situation by scamming me on the agreed price. As I continued to challenge him, he suddenly was not understanding English anymore and could not even look at me in the eyes.

Luckily I could speak in French with the owner of the place. She was very receptive about my situation. But unfortunately she did not seem in very good control of her hotel (and told me herself how she felt frustrated of despite having a master degree in management, se did not master Turkish language well enough to manage that hotel properly). They discussed the issue for a good 20 minutes before they agreed to refund me 200 TL of the 600 TL I had paid them. I did not feel like fighting for an extra 10 TL refund, so I just left.

So in the end I paid 400 TL for a room I would have paid 390 TL if I had booked it on booking.com. I tried to be nice by saving them 15% commission. But instead of returning the favor, the manager did the exact opposite by trying to scam me and make me pay more than the price we had agreed verbally.

This is a situation no traveler should ever live. So if you ever go to Spelunca hotel, book it through an online website. That way no scam from that manager will ever be possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank SurfingSly
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

There are PLENTY of cave hotels in Cappadocia. And not a SINGLE reason to stay in this hotel. I mean, the rooms are alright - basic, clean, decent. The location- alright. The food- alright. The behavior? Atrocious. I haven't seen their manager around yet. The guy who spoke to us at the various occasions - well,if that rowdy ill mannered Turk was their manager, then the hotel is in worse shape than deemed salvageable. . Ask him about dinner, and he says that there's no dinner. Ask him again, he says come at nine. Then he says come at seven. Then he says don't bother to come beyond eight,that one hour is sufficient for dinner and we better make there in time. I I thought two hours was the standard dinner serving time at all hotels? And since it was a meal we were paying for, he had no business talking to us the way he did. The staff here need a serious lesson in politeness and hospitality. For all self respecting prospective Cappadocia tourists, save yourself the grief and book one of the warmer cave hotels around Gerome.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank noopur a
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We selected this hotel for its location and because you can select a specific room on their website - we stayed in Room 206, a 'cave room'.
The room was generally great - very interesting and roomy with a huge bathroom including a spa bath. The sitting area had a fantastic view over the Valley. The standard of finishes wasn't high and it was a little musty, but it was a 'cave room' so that was to be expected.

Room Tip: We had the hotel arrange a transfer to the airport. Unfortunately, it didn't work out too well a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Azure Cave Suites
#37 of 77 in Goreme
Grand Cave Suites
Grand Cave Suites
#13 of 77 in Goreme

Been to Spelunca Cave Suites? Share your experiences!