The place is reasonable for budget stays but the owner spoils the mood.
I was traveling with a laptop and camera equipment and naturally asked the owner about how safe it is to keep things in the dorm. Every place is different and on one occasion I was already robbed of over $1000 worth of electronics, so it was natural that I ask this question, since there are no locks in the room.
If he was a reasonable person, he would answer with either one of:
1. Keep things at your own risk, things can disappear
2. No guarantees, but nothing has disappeared in a long time or ever
3. Give me your things for safekeeping
Instead he launched a long tirade about how in his 30-year career nobody has ever asked him that question and went on with a speach implying how insulted he is with the question. I didn't know what to say, so I just kept quiet. But it was strange to hear that, he has no sensitivity or understanding of what's going on in the world around.
Another day I couldn't get bus tickets to leave Goreme, all buses were full. His reply was that he's also full, even though the place was practically empty.
When I asked for advice on hitchhiking in Turkey, since I was out of options at that point, I wanted to know the gestures used in Turkey. Instead he started explaining which gestures not to show, and the consequences of that, including details of what kind of violence I will experience from the Turks when I show those wrong gestures.
I also asked how to get to certain place (a wedding) and got another offended reply in response.
I don't know what issues Ihsan has but not everything is right with him and in Turkey I've never experienced such inhospitable treatment as in Kookaburra.
The breakfast is tiny - whatever you get for breakfast fits on one quarter of the plate if he didn't spread it around.
In general the place looks OK but the experience of staying there is totally spoiled by the owner.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Kookaburra Pension reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kookaburra Pension Hotel Goreme
- Kookaburra Pension Goreme, Cappadocia, Turkey