“OK place but poor hospitality”
Review of Kookaburra Pension

Kookaburra Pension
Ranked #39 of 75 Goreme B&B and Inns
toronto
“OK place but poor hospitality”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The place is reasonable for budget stays but the owner spoils the mood.
I was traveling with a laptop and camera equipment and naturally asked the owner about how safe it is to keep things in the dorm. Every place is different and on one occasion I was already robbed of over $1000 worth of electronics, so it was natural that I ask this question, since there are no locks in the room.
If he was a reasonable person, he would answer with either one of:
1. Keep things at your own risk, things can disappear
2. No guarantees, but nothing has disappeared in a long time or ever
3. Give me your things for safekeeping

Instead he launched a long tirade about how in his 30-year career nobody has ever asked him that question and went on with a speach implying how insulted he is with the question. I didn't know what to say, so I just kept quiet. But it was strange to hear that, he has no sensitivity or understanding of what's going on in the world around.

Another day I couldn't get bus tickets to leave Goreme, all buses were full. His reply was that he's also full, even though the place was practically empty.

When I asked for advice on hitchhiking in Turkey, since I was out of options at that point, I wanted to know the gestures used in Turkey. Instead he started explaining which gestures not to show, and the consequences of that, including details of what kind of violence I will experience from the Turks when I show those wrong gestures.
I also asked how to get to certain place (a wedding) and got another offended reply in response.

I don't know what issues Ihsan has but not everything is right with him and in Turkey I've never experienced such inhospitable treatment as in Kookaburra.

The breakfast is tiny - whatever you get for breakfast fits on one quarter of the plate if he didn't spread it around.

In general the place looks OK but the experience of staying there is totally spoiled by the owner.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank tuborgGold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Goreme, Turkey
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I cannot recommend Kookaburra highly enough. Ihsan is a wonderful host and goes out of his way to make you feel right at home. He makes a wonderful Turkish breakfast every morning and also cooked dinner two of the four nights I was there, one of them just for the two of us. Delicious food and great company with the Turkish music playing all day and night on the terrace overlooking the valley of Göreme. I'll definitely stay here again to play backgammon and drink a few bottles of Efes with Ihsan the next time I am in the region.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 5-bed dorm and had no trouble getting a solid night's rest.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

When I arrived there, I didn't have any information about there. But the guest house's owner told me everything. And he made me feel comfortable like home while i was staying there. I never forgot his kindness.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

the host is very nice person,great help provided throughout my staying.
And the hotel have a wonderful terrace to view the whole valley, just amazing.
The location is also easy to find, close to the center, easy to access

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 days in Goreme and we really enjoied staying at the kookaburra pansion because it is very well located, the terrace has a very nice view on the city and the owner is an amusing turkish man.
The room had a traditional turkish style, cose the building is old but very fascinating.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in this pebsion in the heart of cappadocia. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is kind and helpful: we were welcome by Ihsan with a cup of apple tea, on our arrival.

Taino, Lombardia, Italy
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Wonderful B&B and friendly host. Beautiful location with splendid view over Gömere. Rooms are nice and cosy. The house offers plenty of space with various terraces. Low price for good quality. Thanks a lot and see you there soon again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Erenbey Cave Hotel
#46 of 75 in Goreme
Sun Rise View Hotel
Sun Rise View Hotel
#1 of 8 in Nevsehir

Been to Kookaburra Pension? Share your experiences!