“Great atmosphere and hospitality”
Review of Kookaburra Pension

and 1 more site!
Kookaburra Pension
Ranked #37 of 74 Goreme B&B and Inns
Cairo, Egypt
“Great atmosphere and hospitality”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great atmosphere, like a hostel with the common lounge/breakfast/rooftop area to hang out and enjoy the company of other travellers, and Isnan the owner with all his stories and local knowledge, so friendly and helpful. Stunning panoramic views of surrounding area, early-morning hot-air balloons and sunsets. We had 4 days here - and loved it, thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 10 October 2013

it's a simple hotel, but good value for the money. A more intimate experience than a regular hotel.The owner was very helpfull. Bathroom could be better, and wifi in common area, but overall it was a good stay.

Stayed October 2013
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights in the Kookabura Pension. We chose the pension just by passing by. The panorama view from the terrace was stunning, the breakfast tasty and the atmosphere cosy. The owner of this place made our stay perfect and unfortgetable. With his friendly and funny attitude he made our days. Thank you very much fo having such a great time at your place, which was definitively one of our best experiences in Göreme. When coming back to Cappadocia than just to Kookabura Pension!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at Kookaburra for three nights at the end of September. On our arrival, the owner Ihsan was very happy to help us out with information about Goreme and plan our days here. He is one of the most helpful and kind owners we have met on our trip. The place and rooms were very clean. Breakfast included was good. Location in town was perfect. We highly recommend to stay here when you visit Goreme.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Ihsan is very good host. Good value for money. perfect location. personal touch is given to every corner of hotel. Good view of rose valley and sunset point. walkable distance from otogar. feels being inside of Goreme national park.

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I loved staying here for three nights - great owner, beautiful decor, convenient location and superb view of Cappadocia from the terrace.

The owner, Ihsan, is genuinely friendly and so helpful. Being a lone female traveller, I got a lot of hustle from Turkish men, but I could feel his real warm hospitality, which made me feel at home.

On top of his character, the hotel's atmosphere is enhanced by beautiful farmers' and normads' antiques and plants in Avanos pots all over communal areas. My room had a few vintage carpets and kilims and I felt like I was staying in a boutique hotel.

A bonus is a view from two terraces. I watched balloons going up at dawn.

Highly recommended!

toronto
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The place is reasonable for budget stays but the owner spoils the mood.
I was traveling with a laptop and camera equipment and naturally asked the owner about how safe it is to keep things in the dorm. Every place is different and on one occasion I was already robbed of over $1000 worth of electronics, so it was natural that I ask this question, since there are no locks in the room.
If he was a reasonable person, he would answer with either one of:
1. Keep things at your own risk, things can disappear
2. No guarantees, but nothing has disappeared in a long time or ever
3. Give me your things for safekeeping

Instead he launched a long tirade about how in his 30-year career nobody has ever asked him that question and went on with a speach implying how insulted he is with the question. I didn't know what to say, so I just kept quiet. But it was strange to hear that, he has no sensitivity or understanding of what's going on in the world around.

Another day I couldn't get bus tickets to leave Goreme, all buses were full. His reply was that he's also full, even though the place was practically empty.

When I asked for advice on hitchhiking in Turkey, since I was out of options at that point, I wanted to know the gestures used in Turkey. Instead he started explaining which gestures not to show, and the consequences of that, including details of what kind of violence I will experience from the Turks when I show those wrong gestures.
I also asked how to get to certain place (a wedding) and got another offended reply in response.

I don't know what issues Ihsan has but not everything is right with him and in Turkey I've never experienced such inhospitable treatment as in Kookaburra.

The breakfast is tiny - whatever you get for breakfast fits on one quarter of the plate if he didn't spread it around.

In general the place looks OK but the experience of staying there is totally spoiled by the owner.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo