“Divan Cave House review”
Review of Divan Cave House

Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My daughter and I arrived at Divan Cave Hotel without a booking and they were able to accommodate us for 4 nights. The rooms, service, breakfast and price is very good, as well as the location to explore Cappadocia. Hanife and staff were incredibly helpful and we loved the sunrise hot air balloon ride, the pottery and Turkish carpet visits, as well as the open air museum.
Lovely little restaurants on the way into the village, which the hotel will tell you about. A magic place!

6  Thank TrishPichulik
DivanGoreme, Ön Büro Müdürü at Divan Cave House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us at Divan Cave House. We are very glad to hear the positive comments for our property.We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Divan Cave House

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hanife was very helpful before we even arrived, and her helpfulness and that of the rest of the staff continued throughout our 4-night stay. We speak only English and had no communication problems. Our suite was spacious - I mean really spacious - compared to most European and Asian hotel rooms we have stayed in. Like many, there are no screens. I recall that one fly did enter our suite while we were there, but it did not spoil our vacation. I saw no other insects. I never saw a single fly in the breakfast room. The breakfast spread included the freshest and tastiest locally grown watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers and Casaba melon; a selection of breads and cakes; cereal; and a large selection of dried fruits; plus other things I didn't bother with mostly because the fresh fruit and vegetables were so delicious. You could order omelettes and other eggs. There was milk, Turkish coffee, filtered coffee, tea and juices. It was very hot (38 degrees) when we were there, but our children and I slept comfortably the whole time. (My husband, who keeps our house very cold, found it too warm). Every morning I woke up to the scent of a sweet breeze blowing through our suite. I was expecting the cave to be damp and a little musty, but it wasn't - the climate is very dry. I did not notice any unpleasant odors. The suite was very clean. We got clean towels every day. We were offered free rides whenever we wanted to go somewhere, and the free hike to Rose Valley was very nice. All the activities the hotel recommended turned out to be excellent - the Butterfly balloon ride, the Green Tour (we didn't have time for the others), and the ATV tour. We loved our stay in Goreme. The town is charming and so is the Divan Cave House. I don't know what Hanife and the rest of the staff could have done to make it better.

6  Thank Mary H

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It's my first time living in a cave hotel,and i really enjoy myself here!The room is really comfortable and the service is good as well.the host is handsome and the hostess is beautiful.there is a cute kitten here:) the hotel can also send you to anywhere in the town for free.

5  Thank Zhang H

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at Divan Cave House for one night while visiting Turkey this year. Our room was fine -- it was towards the back of the hotel with a swing outside and a lovely view of Goreme. The bathroom, however, was a bit dirty, and we could feel some dust underfoot. Maybe this is to be expected in a mountainous area like Cappadocia?
However, what makes Divan Cave House truly special is the people -- both Hanife and Ali were greata. They booked our tours, dropped us to the open air museum, kept our bags and let us sit around for hours while we waited for our ride to the airport.
Turkish hospitality is absolutely awesome, and Divan Cave House is no exception!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Riddhi_Shah
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I am sitting on the terrace outside our cave suite sipping wine and marvelling at the fairyland view in front of me. During the day, this is the famed Cappadoccia landscape but at night it transforms, and there is no better position than Divan Cave house to enjoy this.

Having read the last review, I am not sure we stayed in the same place. Our suite 349 is lovely and very clean. Of course, it is a cave and so there is no ac and floors are at odd levels, but that is the charm of this hotel. The bathroom is small but adequate. There are no flies or mosquitoes, and we have remarked on the serenity at night.

The staff are fabulous and could not be more helpful. Breakfast, after a magical hot air balloon flight, was very good and not a fly in sight. The recommended tours were excellent and very prompt in pickup.

This has been a bucket list experience for us. If you want a pristine 5 star hotel experience,, this is not for you. If you want the cave hotel experience enhanced by delightful staff, I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Suite 349 has a terrace opposite it which is fantastic to sit out on at night, feel the cooling bree...
3  Thank KateMSydney
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'll try to make this quick because it's a long list of problems.
We stayed at this hotel for three nights because it was highly rated. Now I question the veracity of those reviews and I will not be using TripAdvisor anymore.
First cave room #355 was full of buzzing flies that kept us awake. I had an ice cold shower at midnight. Every time someone flushed a nearby toilet, sewage smell wafted through our room for 20 minutes. No AC. The room was located down the street and around a corner from reception and, oddly, we could not call reception from the room phone. Cute room, but bedspread not too clean, bathroom had mildew and sewage smell, and the small windows look out on a trash-filled parking lot.
I was told the next day that flies are everywhere in Goreme and given a can of bug spray. Also I was assured the hotel "has hot water 24 hours a day." Later told by another hotel employee, "We occasionally run out of hot water because it's solar-heated," and then he said I should have called reception immediately to tell them the problem, even though he also told me the phone in that room does not even connect to reception, so I would have had to get out of the shower wet and half shampooed, walk a half block to reception at midnight to tell him the shower was cold. Helpful, very helpful.
Changed rooms to #341 (I think that was the number). More flies. And now, add to that, constant pounding of a nearby construction site - even on Sunday - starting at 8 a.m. Toilet runs constantly and never fills enough to flush it. Bathroom is moldy and dirty, even for a cave. Although this room is 10 steps from reception, the phone in this room can call reception, which was helpful. Breakfast, not surprisingly, covered in flies - no effort by staff to cover food at all. I ate four olives I dug from the bottom of a fly-topped pyramid and never went back.
My husband got very sick (unrelated to this hotel). To their credit, twice the hotel provided free and immediate transportation to the pharmacy and physician - about a five-minute drive into town, but a long hot walk up a steep hill without sidewalks by foot. The first time, I went alone and was badgered by the driver the entire way there and back to take a nighttime hike to drink wine, even after I explained my husband was too sick to even get out of bed. This may have been merely hospitality or trying to sell excursions, but he was not taking no for an answer and it was uncomfortable. I tried to avoid this person after that so I would not be badgered again, but he lingered on the terrace outside our room smoking all night as he is the nighttime desk person.
While my husband was sick in bed for nearly three days, I would have liked to leave the room because of the CONSTANT hammering, sawing and grinding construction on an adjacent property. But there was no shaded outside area of the hotel at all. I was either inside with the flies and pounding of construction and running toilet, or outside in the blazing heat and sun and, of course, the flies.
Both rooms are dimly lit, which I don't mind, but both had bulbs out or lights not working at all.
Again, to the hotel's credit, they did allow us to switch rooms and they did send someone stop the running toilet on our last day there. Also, if we turned on the AC high enough, the flies tended to not dive bomb us as much. The staff often told us to let them know of any problems, but there were so many problems with both rooms, I felt I had to complain about the big issues and leave the many little ones slide. And I don't think a guest should have to tell them to put in working light bulbs, wash the bedspreads, clean the black hairs out of the shower. At the same time, they were helpful with my husband's illness.
One last thing. The hotel arranged a transport for us from Divan Cave House to a hotel in Kayseri via an airport shuttle van. This should not have taken more than 45 minutes. The driver picked us up, then collected the other passengers going to the airport, but then he stopped to get a drink and pickup some friends, which took about 15 minutes, while an entire van of us sat in the heat waiting for him and wondering where he was. Finally on the road, we dropped the other passengers at the airport, but then he claimed and seemed to know nothing about the arrangement to drop us off at a hotel. After speaking with Divan Cave House by phone, he said he would take us to our hotel, but first we'd have to wait "five minutes" for new passengers coming in by plane. We waited nearly an hour in the blazing sun (again) and with my husband sick as a dog. And even after we got the new passengers, our driver stopped AGAIN to buy drinks before taking us to our hotel. I don't know whose fault it was that a 45-minute ride took us three hours, but beware when arrangements are made by the hotel staff. Once you're away from the hotel, you're just some chump who paid and is now along for the crappy ride some driver wants to take you on.
Oh, and for all the people who wrote, "Look at all the rooms and pick..." Yea, no, there was none of that. I asked when we got there to see the rooms and was told, "We already picked a nice room for you." End of discussion.
I did hear two other parties complain about the flies and/or other issues related to their rooms. And they did try to accommodate those people as they did us, but the basics are a problem from the start at Divan Cave House. Still, I think they meant well - they just need to spend less time hard-selling excursions and more time doing the basics of hotel-keeping.

Room Tip: We were not permitted to see any rooms but the two we stayed in, #355 and I think #341. Both #355 an...
16  Thank SLindt_12
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On the first night we arrived very late and I was tired and a bit grumpy when Ali at the reception was trying to give us tourism information (Sorry Ali ;p) He has been a really warm, friendly and helpful friend along our stay there. Hotel room is spacious, clean and nicely refurbished, I love the curved ceilings, vintage lights and the beddings - really elegant; It is also well facilitated with wifi and everything I need. Breakfast is fresh and tasty, you can have freshly done eggs and omelets from the kitchen, and Ali is always around (with his nice smile) to chat and provide useful information! We booked hot air balloon flight and Green tour with the hotel, all very good and we enjoyed free airport shuttle bus. After the green tour I paid 100 euros instead of Lira by mistake! But before I realised, Ali called from the reception and the guy from travel agents had come to the hotel and gave it back to me - local people are so nice! We had shower in the hotel even after we checked-out, and Ali helped me to send postcard, they gave us a free ride to open air museum, we got discount in the local restaurant "fat boy"... We felt been looked after really well ;) Thank you!!!
- Chloe & Gabriel