“Pleasant enough place & good, central location”
Review of Nirvana Cave

Nirvana Cave
Ranked #19 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Goreme
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough place & good, central location”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Liked the central location, minutes from the Otogar (bus station), which is in the centre of town near to shops/cafes/bars/restaurants. For a private room with ensuite, the price was also really reasonable (around the same as we paid for a bed in a dorm room in Istanbul). The buffet breakfast was free, so that was great as it filled us up for the many walks we went on in the area. Bread, cheese, olives, eggs, tomatoes & cucumber seem to be the staples on offer for breakfast in Turkey. The staff were friendly. They offer tours and services (like shuttle to/from airport) but don't push them. We didn't book any tours through them so I can't comment on the quality but the shuttle bus to Kayseri airport was on time (early in fact!) and cost 10 euros. They were even kind enough to loan us a corkscrew and a couple of glasses overnight so we could drink the bottle of wine we bought from the local market! The swimming pool and courtyard area will be nice when it's finished, but at the moment it looks like a bit of a construction site! The showers were hot (although we noticed that after we'd taken a shower one morning, the water got switched off so we had to use bottled water to clean our teeth.) Not sure whether this was something to do with them filling the pool up whilst we were there!? The room was also warm (i've read a few people's comments to suggest otherwise), but we were not really in the room between the hours of 9am-6pm, when I imagine the heating probably gets switched off.

My only complaint is that the photos on the website are a little misleading. They all (apart from one) show rooms and dorms inside a cave, so we thought we'd get to stay in a cave, which I was really looking forward to. However we ended up in room 10, which is definitely not a cave and looks like the room with the wooden beams in the photographs. It was pleasant enough, but I think it should be made clear that not all rooms are cave rooms, and you should be able to request a cave room if you want to.

Room Tip: If you want a cave room, number 10 is not one!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cactuschild

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Olympos, Turkey
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We arrived very tired after the overnight bus from Istanbul. Yasin, the main man at nirvana was very helpful and assisted organise our tours etc. We had a cave room which was a real novelty! Spacious room and a comfortable bed, hot shower too! The place is fairly high up, yet close to town and there is plenty of space which makes for a relaxing vibe. Renovations currently underway, but I think it will be complete come July. Lovely staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jimmy O
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Staff is great, I don't remember the name of the guy at the reception but he was really helpful and he gave me so many tips regarding places to visit near by, he even help me to bargain the price for the Hot Balloon. It's a nice tiny hotel, very well located for the trip in Kapadokya. Breakfast is very nice, and there's always tea and coffee for free. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Diana S
NY
Reviewed 8 February 2013

My short stay here with my 9yr old daughter was very pleasant and uneventful.

Pros:
- Yasin was very prompt in his response to my emails when making arrangements for pick up at airport, rates, etc.
- Turkish breakfast didn't run out - freshly baked bread, hardboiled eggs, jam, cucumbers, cheeses, tomatoes, coffee, tea, juice
- Convenient central location in Goreme. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance.
- Yasin can book tours and rides for you.
- There was always hot water in the shower
- The soda cooler can be used as a fridge for your personal items.

Cons:
- The room we had can be cold at night

- Yasin does charge differently for different people. There is a starting rate but you do need to haggle, which was something I mentally prepared for going into Turkey. That's just a cultural thing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank ed3p0
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Good Location. We stayed in December and the Dorm was not very clean. I had to bundle up the bathroom garbage and it sat there for two days. Bathroom never cleaned while we were there and I suspect the beds were not changed either.
Breakfast was good. Staff were moody (maybe needs a vacation or to get away from service for a bit) but got more friendly on the second day. I am not surprised to read the review that money was not honestly exchanged as I suspect this may have happened to us as well.
Internet got "full" at night and stopped working and was only available in lobby/eating area.
Go through one of the hostel booking sites to get the best deal as I thought I would get what I saw online if I just walked in but was told no. (it was too early in the AM to negotiate for me! as we just got off the overnight bus.
Note: it was nice that he let us climb into a bed way early in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank lamaroon
Ukraine
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Great location and the staff was always super friendly and helpful. We were able to spend a couple days hiking around the nearby valleys thanks to a trail map well-marked up with various landmarks and time frames to help us find our way around (another couple who didn't have this helpful tool said the trails were too confusing and ended up having to ditch their hike halfway through). The dorm room was a bit dank and musty but warm and well-priced. I avoided the indoor bathroom as much as possible and opted for the well-ventilated outdoor option. Also, there weren't any lockers but they did offer to secure electronics for you. Breakfast was the best of the 3 hostels we stayed at in Turkey. I would go back if I were in the same budget range.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank B B
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I really hate to give a bad (or even neutral) review....and seldom do I have to, but this one, I can't get around it. There were a few positives but more negatives for me...and for some friends I met along the way that also stayed here. Which first? hmmm....let me start with the positives:

Positives:
- good location (close to Open Air Museum (just 1km) and the heart of Goreme itself)
- showers decent size
- nice comforter/duvet
- Yasin will help you with your plans while in Cappadocia; will offer to drive you around to a few sites for a small fee
- Yasin, the manager, seems to be nice and trustworthy at first...but...

Negatives:
- I was told I had one of their "cave rooms" but instead i was given one of their regular rooms (not what I wanted while in Cappadocia)

- This regular room had a hole in the bathroom ceiling, which let cold air inside. When I asked Yasin about this, he said it was so the room wouldn't smell. ??? It looked as if someone took a big hammer and knocked a hole into the top of the wall...it wasn't a neat hole or anything like that. No one else had holes to my knowledge. I know my friends didn't.

- Before checking in, I asked him if the rooms were warm. He said "of course or no one would stay in them.' Well, the room was cold, cold, cold. They cut the heater off during the day so don't plan on being in the room at all during the afternoon hours. It was freezing!! But even when room heater was on, it was freezing. I ended up taking mattress off my bed and moving it to right beside the wall heater.

- Yasin short-changed me. Not sure if this was purposeful or not, but I had to call him out on it.

- Yasin overcharged my friend who paid for the balloon by 10 TL. When later confronted, he stated that he had to buy back euros or something like that. My friend didn't feel like she should have to pay for that.

- They charge 90TL for Green Tour. In Pamukkale, they offered it for 70TL. I let Yasin know this and he stated that my friends who booked the 70TL one would not be on the same quality tour. However, yes, they were I later found out. No difference and they got it for 20TL lower. he told me they would not be going to Derinkuyu Underground City but later I saw them there at the same one. :(

- When booking this past summer, I stressed that I needed Wifi in the rooms and was told "yes" there was Wifi in the rooms....but nope!! None!! This applied to the whole hostel. There was only internet in the lobby/office. A few were able to get if they sat close to the cold window in the room but most could not. What a hassle to not have internet in my room!!!!

- power outlets: There was only ONE in the room...and guess where located??? up near the light outlet up high on the wall right when you walk into the room...near the door!!! I had a laptop that only worked while plugged in so this was a major hassle. Other than that, just one! And what a horrible place for a wall outlet!!!!! Everything just dangled from it...if it could be used at all.

-Hot Air Balloon Booking through Urgup Balloons: Yasin charged me 125euros for a SMALL BASKET balloon. He openly confirmed this several times. My friends from the US had booked at Pamukkale for 100 Euro. Yasin said they were going on big basket. I agreed to use Yasin's people as I wanted small basket so fine, I paid 125 euros. On the morning at Urgup, they tell me I am in a big basket!!!!! I was livid at yasin for doing this to me once again! I complained and eventually got on the small basket. On top of this, my Indian friends I met along my journey who were staying here had another lie told them: Yasin charged them 125Euro. To get them to pay (I guess??), he told them that I had only paid 110Euro and was going on bigger basket balloon. ?????? huh?? since when, Yasin? So that is why they booked the 125Euro. Later, when confronted, he just said, "Well, you got on the smaller one didn't you?" I said "yes, but because I complained about you lying about it." He then tried telling me I paid a lesser amount than I did and that I hadn't paid for the green tour (which I had!!!). My friends confronted him about what he told them and again, he made up some excuse. Very frustrating. Watch what this guy tells you is all I am trying to say here! He says so many different things to so many different people.

- One night he walked me to my room and even came INSIDE my room, insinuating I needed a "warm body to keep me warm"....unacceptable. on the first day, this woman pulled me aside as I was waiting to check into my room. She had been saying good things about the hostel but then told me to be careful and not so friendly. She said that Turkish men might take i the wrong way. She also told me to watch out for Yasin as she had seen him be exremely flirtatious with some guests. Who knows!!! I hate to blast anyone like this, but overall, it was just one thing after another. Made a mistake in staying here.

Room Tip: Not room #9 as it has the hole in the bathroom and no chance of internet! Very cold. It does have...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo