“Not all that I hoped”

Ranked #33 of 76 Hotels in Goreme
Jupiter
“Not all that I hoped”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

- Arrived at Kayseri airport on time at 8PM. With some difficulty found driver that we had prearranged with hotel. He escorted us to the van and said he had to meet someone else and he’d be back in 15 minutes. After about 20 minutes I decided I’d better use toilet before drive to Goreme and found we were locked in vehicle. I managed to climb over to front seat and open door. After toilet I located driver, who did not speak much English. Someone translated that he was waiting for 2 other flights. It was after 9:30 PM when we finally left airport. Not what I expected from my reading of hotel arranged pickup.
- After dropping the others off at other hotels, we arrived around 11 PM hungry, tired and a bit annoyed. We were shown to one of the ground floor rooms. I mentioned to the person on duty that we might like a better room, but he did not speak much English so we settled in.
- We walked into town in search of food and found Fat Boys still open. It was an oasis. After a bottle of 25TL wine and some food, we were ready to give Caravanserai a fresh look the following morning.
- Day started off with lukewarm showers. No, letting the water run does not help. Breakfast was unimpressive. Perhaps if meat and cheese were wrapped before putting back in refrigerator, they wouldn’t be so dried out the next morning. Rolls were good. Returning to the room, toilet wouldn’t flush so we used other hotel facilities while it was being “fixed.” In the afternoon it again didn’t work and we were shown how to jiggle the insides, which we did for the next 2 days.
- We had to be shown how to use TV remote; however, when we tried it later, did not seem to work. It could have been us.
- Lots of smiles from management, but we didn’t get the feeling they really cared. Perhaps it was end of season burnout.
- Took 4 hour tour with father that was wonderful. I would recommend. Cannot comment on cost, as we did not shop around, but anyone taking his tour will surely be pleased.
I will be returning to Goreme next year with a family member and on day 2 thought I would probably stay here again, being familiar with it. By day 3, I decided I would not.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelbarb
oserdar, Manager at Caravanserai Cave Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
I am sorry that your stay was not all you hoped for. Unfortunately we have no control over airport transport other then arranging it as a courtesy for guests and there are very few companies in Goreme and sometimes due to flight delays drivers will wait.
I apologize that you did not find your room up to your standards. Sometimes there are issues which we cannot fix immediately and appreciate guests patience while we troubleshoot.
Our breakfast meats, cheeses, fruits and vegetables are all cut and prepared fresh for each breakfast and we store all of our food properly to ensure freshness and health.
I am also sorry that you did not feel truly welcome with us. We pride ourselves on our legendary Turkish hospitality and make every effort to make our guests feel welcome and taken care of on arrival.
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us.
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This was the worst hotel on our two week holiday in Turkey! The cave rooms are damp,musty and tiny with no ventilation! The bed linen had hair on it as if a wet dog had rolled on it!The breakfast was so miserly and poor in its choices that it was better to eat out!I would recommend stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ambinyc
I am sorry you did not find your room to your liking. We pride ourselves on having authentic cave rooms, which is what many people travel to Cappadoccia to experience. Unfortunately caves are damp and musty and dark...They are caves after all. Bed linens are changed and fresh for all new guests and towels are changed daily if left on the floor. Rooms are also cleaned daily.
As for the breakfast buffet we offer it is standard for hotels in the area and for what locals eat daily.
We appreciate your input and thank you for your stay.
Management
Kansas City, USA
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Two couples were in Goreme in March for two nights. Serdar provided us with a personal escort to an excellent restaurant our first night. He wouldn't let me buy his dinner, but joined us for an enjoyable meal and conversation. The next night, the guests chipped in for food prepared by the staff. We brought wine and had a great time with Sedar, his girlfriedn, staff and visiting Japanese students. It's friendly, comfortable and made better by the personal attention. There are probably more luxurious places, but this one was special.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 6 November 2011

we stayed 2 nights with my family.
İ've seen and liked from tripadvisor.
Room was really uncomfortable.Ceiling was so low fresh air was limited and breathing was difficult.There were many water droplets several points, esp at the bathroom, from the upper rooms.
staff were dirty- looking and always smiling
So goreme and cappadoccia is wonderful place but this hotel isn't

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank ayasf
oserdar, Manager at Caravanserai Cave Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear Guest,
"I am sorry your cave style room and happy, smiling staff was not to your liking, we do all we can to try to ensure a pleasant and comfortable visit for our guests. We appreciate your feedback.ok.
Hotel Manager
london
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We spent three nights at the Caravanserai arranged through email with Sedar who was ever keen to please.We were met by his father at the airport who gave us an interesting informative journey to the Hotel.The two of them make the Goreme experience a trip to remember, they arranged the balloon flight with Butterfly Balloons with pilot Mike who gave us a great trip.We also took the green tour on offer from the Hotel, the walk through the Ihlara Valley was memorable if not only for the scenery , lunch taken on a small wooden platform with the river running by your feet.This is one of those places where you have to give yourself over to the surroundings it isnt a five star Hotel and dosen't pretend to be,but you do feel that they could sort any problem that might arise.The accomodation is pretty basic but that is reflected in the room rate,it was clean and warm when needed, this being the back end of the season it was chilly at night.Breakfast consisted of fruit ,cheese, cereal, etc or a very nice lady would make fresh omlette,all in all a great place to explore from.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
nyc
Reviewed 2 November 2011

After staying a disappointing three nights at the Caravanserai cave hotel, I do not recommend it for several reasons.

First, my room had no view of the lovely Goreme/Cappadocia terrain as it was on the ground level and faced the interior courtyard. In a town like Goreme, having a view of Cappadocia from your hotel room would be spectacular and if you are paying higher than the average rate of a hotel room in this town, which I was, then a view should be a standard amenity. Unfortunately, I missed out on that. In fact, I found it strange that they offered me a ground floor room when there were only two other rooms in use at the hotel at the time of my visit. And one night, there were no other occupants in the hotel at all. I certainly could've been offered a more spacious room with a view. Plus, it was very dark in the room, since it had no sunlight coming in being on the ground floor in the courtyard, and a heavy dreariness to it, with a very thick musty air quality (however I suspect many caves would have thick musty air).

There was no decoration to the room whatsoever, which I normally don't care about, but the photos showed some very nice rooms and that is what I expected. Contrary to what you see in the pictures posted by this hotel, any decorative accents were absent from the room and that includes the nicely appointed bedding that appears in the photos, the cultural wall decorations, the window with a view, or any of the artfully constructed rooms that are described by other reviewers.

As for room size, my room was extremely small and, not surprisingly, there was nowhere to set down my luggage. Fortunately, I chose a room with two beds which allowed for the use of the second bed as a storage spot for a suitcase.

There was no phone in the room, and thus no wake up call, so the hotel allowed me to use a cell phone of theirs for the alarm in the morning.

The bedding and towels were of poor quality fabric, which is a surprise in a country like Turkey where the towels are notably of good thickness and absorption.

The bathroom definitely had not been cleaned prior to my arrival (there was residue in the toilet when I arrived) and the bathroom was not maintained during the course of my visit. I know this because the same strands of my hair remained in the sink the entire time. It was obvious that the cleaning staff did nothing more than make the bed and change the used towels.

If the shower water heater had not been turned on at least an hour before taking a shower, then you did not have a hot shower. The front desk had warned me that the hot water might take some time to get going, so I waited about 40 minutes, but still had a luke warm shower.

The tv did not work properly, even though a fellow came in to try to fix it (unsuccessfully).

For breakfast, there were other guests who were offered specially made egg dishes, which were not made available to everyone in the breakfast area while were are all dining together. And to add insult to this fact, the cheese on my plate had hair on it (from the service staff). Another surprise was that there was no drinkable cold water made available at breakfast (or in the room). You had to buy it. I've never before had to buy breakfast (cold) beverages when taking advantage of an included breakfast with my hotel stay.

It was easy to use the internet at this hotel. A computer is in the office and the speed is pretty quick.

In advance of my visit, through email, the hotel was generous to offer to arrange a balloon ride as well as a couple of tours of the area. However, upon further research when I arrived, I went into town and met with some travel agents and discovered that the hotel's rates were extremely high. I wound up going to a travel agent to arrange my balloon ride and tour of the area the day after I got into town and the proprietor was amazed (and visibly disappointed) that I had done this and also seemed amazed that I had managed to negotiate a price that was half of what he was asking. Apparently there is a commission that is paid to the hotel when the hotel's guests book through the hotel.

The hotel proprietor was kind enough to take me to hike for a couple of hours in the Valley and he also introduced me to a tasty neighborhood restaurant run by a friend of his. But ladies, beware, he is definitely interested in finding female companionship, whether it be for a night or two, and he is not shy about expressing his interests or his desires.

As for logisitcs, in advance of my trip, I had contacted the hotel to find out about airport transfers and they informed me that there is a shuttle at the airport upon arriving in Kayseri and it goes to the hotel. I researched and found the phone number in the Lonely Planet guide book for Argeus Tours that enabled me to ask my Istanbul hotel to call to arrange for the shuttle pick up at the airport in Kayseri when I got in at 9pm.

If you require a transfer to the airport to go back to Kayseri, the hotel will call for you but if you have an early morning flight, then you are asked to pay an additional fee of 3 lira.

In sum, there are many cave hotels in Goreme from what I saw in my time there, and what I read in the guide books. Some reportedly have pools, some may have fancy decor according to the books, some might have spacious rooms. I did not see any amenities of this sort at the Caravanserai. My guess is that some hotels must be much better value than the $56 a night I paid at the Caravanserai for what would be a back woods Motel 6 quality room in the USA. Other hotels might even offer you a room with a view and a clean toilet. I suggest trying one of them before the Caravanserai.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank gobluego
oserdar, Manager at Caravanserai Cave Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Dear guest,
When you arrived you were shown 3 different rooms and given your choice of which you wanted. Because of our close proximity to the Mosque you choose the room which would be most quiet which happened to be on the first floor and a cave room but the choice was yours. As for the cleanliness of the room each room is cleaned daily by our staff and I personally inspect their work. Towels are changed daily unless hung up by guest for water conservation and bed is made. Towels and linens are standard quality for the level of hotel we are.
We offer the same services to everyone. Our breakfast is a Turkish style buffet with each guest offered a Turkish omlette with their breakfast. Beverages include unlimited tea, coffee, milk and a variety of juices. You are correct in that no water was placed out on the buffet for consumption but if asked the staff could have provided it for you.
To address you issue regarding the price of tours and balloon ride you were quoted. I work with reputable, safe companies with god records of customer satisfaction. We are a touristic village and so there is great competition for business and many different companies. I always tell customers they can find cheaper prices if they go into town however I cannot vouch for the quality of these companies and the tours they offer. The shuttle transport price is the price the company charges and we make no money off shuttle transport. It is just a courtesy for our guests that we arrange it in advance for them since transports from Kayseri must be made in advance and we do not like our customers to be stuck at the airport or have to pay for taxi transport.
As for your very serious allegations that I am seeking female companionship I am deeply offended. I am Turkish and pride myself on upholding the values of our legendary Turkish hospitality. Each guest is greeted by name and made to feel like family. I apologize if you mistook that as romantic interest. I escorted you on a walk through the valley because I felt, at that time of year and the lack of other hikers in the valley's, it was not safe for a female wondering alone and I guided you free of charge. You were invited to dine with myself and other guests at our hotel on 2 occasions as all guests are invited to frequently do. And when you asked me to walk around town with you I agreed and we went to a coffee shop. If I were interested romantically I probably would have chosen a bar instead. The restaurant you were taken to was the only cave restaurant in town and yes it happened to be run by a friend of mine (we are a small village I have many friends).
I apologize that my friendly nature made you feel uncomfortable and that you feel our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Regards
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We truly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We had a beautiful arch room that was designed with a mix of both traditional and modern elements. Serdar, the proprieter, was a warm and knowledgeable host and helped us make the most of our short 2 day visit to Cappadocia. He made arrangements for our balloon ride (amazing experience with Atmosfer Balloons) and an exceptional full day tour with a local operator, New Goreme Tours. He also recommended local restaurants/cafes that we thoroughly enjoyed. The hotel is conveniently located close to the center of Goreme and within easy walking distance to the Goreme Open Air Museum. We had a wonderful dinner on our last night with Serdar and a few other guests up on the cozy enclosed rooftop terrace.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple