“Excellent Terrace and Great Staff”

Caravanserai Cave Hotel
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Goreme
Portland, Oregon
“Excellent Terrace and Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Highly recommended! The staff was excellent. They helped us organize everything from our hot air balloon ride to our airport transportation. Great breakfast, great view from the rooftop terrace, and in a convenient location. We stayed three nights and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Only stopped one night on a flying visit from Istanbul. Plenty of contact with Serdar before we set off which was reassuring. Lovely quaint hotel, good advice on where to eat. Hot shower, comfy bed and fantastic breakfast, eggs cooked to order. Told where to go for the best of Cappadoccia. Fantastic

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

One of the best Cave hotels for the right place in Goreme. Our room was large, sleeps 4 with 4 good size beds and en suite bathroom and warm and well done. Most important to me is really clean. The Hotel is clean and comfortable and the owners are just wonderful. The breakfast terrace overlooks the town and a small mosque and Cave mosque next to eat. Lots of eating place around the hotel as well. If you call in advance the owners will pick you up and drop you from the bus terminal. They will also arrange side tours if you prefer at no additional cost. Best place to stay in town. Oruc the owner speaks real good english so you will feel at home

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Akil A
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

On the plus side, my room was clean and warm (something I appreciated as it can get cold at night), the breakfast buffet was very good, the staff was friendly, the owners professionally kind, and the location central and very convenient. And of course the views are spectacular!

On the down side, I was disappointed in my room, which was on the ground floor (room 102, I think), thus dark, and a bit noisy as it was near the entrance and right underneath a terrace. I especially asked for a "stone arch" room for the light, rather than a dark cave room, knowing I would be spending time inside. The room I was given might or might not have been a "stone arch" room but looked nothing like the rooms identified as such on the hotel website. I thought this was misleading. When I checked in, I asked if I could perhaps see some other rooms and was told no, because I had already been quoted a particular price. I believe another reviewer said all the rooms were the same price, but this is apparently not correct. In any case, I did not ask for the cheapest possible room and had not negotiated a price. My issue is not really about the money. However, when I booked the room and was quoted a price, I expected it would be in a nicer room--which in fact the hotel does have. I peeked into a few as I was passing and saw some more represented by the photos. The price I ended up paying for the room I stayed in was, in my opinion, about 30-50% more than it was worth. Another problem with this room was that it is located opposite what I think was the chimney for the wood-chip (maybe?) burning furnace. I was grateful for the heat but on the last night I was there, noxious smoke from the chimney was coming straight into the room (even though the windows were closed), leaving my eyes burning and lungs aching. Not pleasant! I understand that things like this come hand-in-hand with the charm of staying in a rustic "cave hotel". But the resulting experience could have been better.

Also, the layout of the hotel is not something which the owners have much control over--it is in the town center so there really isn't a way to expand--but I felt it would have been nicer if the hotel had some places where guests could sit with a bit of privacy, to read, drink wine, converse, whatever. I realize many people go to Cappadocia for an action-packed holiday (and this is what the hotel promotes), but this being my 4th time to the area, on merely a long weekend holiday from Istanbul, I would have loved to have a comfortable spot to sit and read in the sunshine. The hotel does have several large terraces with tables and chairs, but they could be more inviting perhaps.

Room Tip: Best to try to avoid room 102.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We arrived in Goreme, Cappadocia on a bleak rainy day and were welcomed by Sedar and his family. Our room was warm and toasty which was really thoughtful, thank you so much. Cappadocia is mind blowing, full of enchanting natural rock formations and natural beauty you must go there,

Sedar and his father are very knowledgeable about their area and what to do and importantly were able to offer advice about areas outside of Cappadocia due to their extensive guiding experience. We appreciated all their advice on the next stages of our travel.

Our room had a garden view on the ground floor. We didn't feel it was 'superior' as described by the website we booked through but never less it was still good, but noisy because it was at the entrance for all guests (echoed) and we heard people coming and going. Breakfast was tasty and offered rooftop views of Goreme and balloonists. Thank you for the Omelettes!!

Yes we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't ask for the ground flour garden view room😀
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We were 3 girls and had booked 1 room in the hotel for 4 nights.
We arrived really late in the night and were given 2 rooms instead of 1. Why? Coz we were lugging around with 6 suitcases (3 big - 3 cabin) and the staff thought the small rooms will be too cramped up!
Next up, Serder the owner of the hotel! I have never met such a sweet owner who actually just drops us around for dinner or lunch. He even came to check on us when we planned to rent a car to see if everything was ok! It was like having a big brother around!
Goreme has such lovely simple people, it will touch ur heart! Serder's father too was very kind and showed us around and took us to some lovely places to eat.
Breakfast is simple, hotel is lovely! Especially the entrance with pretty flowers and ploughs! Good wi-fi! Great staff! What else do u want!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed in a beautiful single room. Hotel located in the middle of town near the mosque, shops and restaurants. Lots of help from owner to help us find various sites to see in and around Goreme. Steered us to various business that offered discounts. Owner spent much time helping us map out our 3 day weekend. Room prices were very reasonable and the rooms were spotless. Wonderful terrace dining room with great view of Goreme and the balloon lift offs in the morning. Breakfast buffet very substantial. Owner, Serdar and his father speak excellent English.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Divan Cave House
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews
Hotel Cave Konak
Hotel Cave Konak
#2 of 66 in Urgup

Been to Caravanserai Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!