Caravanserai Cave Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe ownerturkeythe bushis sonother guestsballoon rideunderground citytraditional turkish breakfastthe location is perfectbreakfast roomopen air museumtea and coffeebreakfast is servedfairy chimneysserdartoursterrace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Caravanserai Cave Hotel for four nights and cannot recommend it highly enough. Oruc was extremely helpful from the time of booking, and organised a balloon tour along with airport transfers before we arrived. He did not push any particular company which we appreciated. He also helped us plan our days with recommendations even after we had said we did not want to join organised tours. I would recommend the walking tour offered by the hotel - at 35 lira pp it was great value for a four hour guided walk. Only for relatively fit people though! The roof terrace was a great spot to relax and enjoy the breakfast provided or a glass of wine in the evening. I enjoyed the experience of staying in a cave room and appreciated how cool it stayed when it was hot outside. The hotel is also very convenient to the bus station, local mini markets and good restaurants. We were sad when our time in Goreme ended as we had had such a good experience at the hotel. You will not regret staying here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Caravanserai has achieved the “most favorite” status for me and will always be close to my heart. If you are looking for home like comfort, this is just the place for you. Right from the booking experience till the final check out, it makes you a happy traveler. We booked our rooms through hotels.com on recommendation from a friend who had been there before. Just like she had mentioned the owner, Oruc, knows exactly how to make his guests feel welcomed. He started a mail conversation with us right from the moment of booking confirmation, helping us plan our stay at Goreme for the 3 days that we were to be there. We shared with him what we intended to do and he gave us ample options of how to put the plan into action.
We reached the hotel at 3pm and were given a warm welcome by Oruc and his colleague. We were give 2 rooms one of which was a converted naturally formed cave. I recommend you try and get this one since the cave is much cooler than the normal room even if it’s hot outside. Bear in mind that there are no a/cs in the hotels at Goreme. We were provided with a standing fan on request. Both the rooms were well kept with fresh bed and bath linen. You also get to avail free wifi. They provide an unlimited supply of tea and coffee which you can get at the pantry attached to a terrace sit out.
The view from the terrace is amazing. Goreme being a small town is spread over a kilometer’s diameter with most of its caves housing hotels. You can get a good view of the town from the terrace. I managed to make a lot of new traveler friends at the terrace during breakfast and evening tea breaks. Oruc is usually present at breakfast having jolly conversations with the guests. Our booking had breakfast included. The breakfast spread is good and the fruits and vegetables served are as fresh as just-picked. Gukhak, the helper, makes all types of egg preparations as per your choice.
The hotel location is very convenient. Staying here you are just a 5 min walk away from the restaurants, bus station and shopping arcade. Do visit the sunset point, it’s breathtaking. It is a 15 mins climb uphill from the hotel.
Caravanserai is a quaint place, neatly done up and gives you a sense of comfort.
I highly recommend you go by Oruc’s suggestions for the hot air balloons, the green and red tour. Happy stay!

Room Tip: I recommend you try and get this one since the cave is much cooler than the normal room even if it’s hot outside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SaaKu
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We enjoyed 2 nights in Goreme at this hotel. We did not have a cave room as such, but the stone in the bathroom was the same stone that makes up the caves. The ceiling was covered by a turkish throw that had been attached to the ceiling, and added a nice touch. Our room overlooked the garden/courtyard and the first night, we had smoke entering the room. When we mentioned this to Oruc, he offered to move us to another room. Breakfast was good, but they seemed to run out of cay (tea) quickly. Breakfast is served up on the terrace roof and the views overlooking the town & the stone formations held us there for a long time.
Oruc is ready with information on what to see & do in Cappadocia. They also have a laundry service that is not too expensive. The wi-fi was a bit erratic, sometimes being non existent.
It was a relaxing 2 days in a magical location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location is perfect, at the centre of Goreme;
The cave room is so exotic!! Very nice experience, cool during nights;
Terrace is amazing, I can sit there for a whole afternoon, excellent view of the town;
Nice buffet breakfast;
Staffs are very nice with sweet smiles;
Host Oruc is super friendly and helpful, he helped us book the balloon flight, shuttle bus between airport and hotel, renting a car for red/green/blue routes tour; even drove us to the mountain top for sunset views! What surprised me, touched my heart, is, I lost my earring probably in the room that I didn't notice. After I checked out the room, and when I realised I lost one of my earrings which I love so much, I sent an email to Oruc to ask with little hope. But he did look for it and found it for me!!!! Very efficiently he sent the parcel to my friends' house in Istanbul, and when I opened the parcel I nearly cried. He put in such a nice gift box with a gift bag too!! That's sooooooooooooo sweet!! I had no regrets in Cappadocia, it's my favourite during this Turkey trip. Thank you Oruc, thanks so much for your hardwork and kindness!!! Love you!!!!!!! :)

Room Tip: cave room is good experience but bit damp, rooms on 1st floor may be modern and brighter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelleyuxy
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this hotel due to the excellent reviews by travellers. However, we did not enjoy our stay here. The owner was initially very friendly and nice, he even offered to arrange all our tours and hot air balloon ride for us for a good price. However, after speaking to other travellers we found that tours were cheaper and the average price for a hot air balloon ride was 100-120 euros. When the owner found that we hadn't booked through him, he was extremely rude, aggressive and unprofessional. We found our experience very similar to SunnyBhansali's review on trip advisor only a few weeks earlier. Above all this, the bathroom smelt of sewage, our bathroom door leaked and there was no ventilation. If you are considering staying here, we would recommend arranging your own tours and balloon ride in the town. Wifi was slow and unreliable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Anonymous0714
kervans, Manager at Caravanserai Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. However, I feel I must respond to some of the criticisms you made in your review.

If I recall, you arrived very late to our hotel with a number of other guests at the same time. Those other guests were keen to book flights only with Kapadokya Balloons. Kapadokya Balloons has an excellent reputation and is a popular company to fly with. You indicated that you were also happy to book with Kapadokya Balloons so I also booked flights for you. This time of the year is very busy for flights and often are booked out days in advance. I was able to get bookings at the last minute. The price I quoted you was 150Euro as I was able to secure a discount. You can see Kapadokya Balloon's website advertises 175 Euro for a standard flight. Of course I respect a customer's choice as to which company to fly with, and I have no problem with customers changing their minds. However, the problem was that you changed your mind at the last minute, being the evening before the flight, which meant that I would have to pay the deposit for the loss of the Kapadokya Balloon company.

The price for the daily green tour you enjoyed was a standard price of 110 Lira (about 40 Euro).

I am sorry that you had problems with the smell of the bathroom. I don't ever recall another customer complainining that it smelt like sewage, but if you had brought it to our attention when you were here we could have addressed it for you.

Finally, I also wished you told us that you had problems with the wifi connection so that we could have looked into it for you.

I will use your review to improve our service.

Regards,