“Hit or Miss” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 68 Hotels in Goreme
Bourne, Massachusetts
“Hit or Miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

I enjoy traveling to Turkey very much and I hate to give this hotel a bad recommendation but a member of my travelling party picked this hotel for its uniqueness. I found the hotel to be dusty and damp with threadbare sheets and towels. Hit = location, breakfast, hospitality. Miss = catching the maid taking a nap on my bed and the room being constantly damp even with the heat on. There are many more options for accommodations in Goreme.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

I really wanted to love this place. The website is beautiful. And, there are some nice things about this hotel, but it hardly lives up to the website, so be prepared. Unfortunately, I had problems from the beginning. I was promised an airport pick up, but no one showed up, so I found my own way to the hotel. When I got there, the very apathetic manager was unable to find my reservation. He actually had me sit at his computer to find my emails so he could find my booking. I finally got my room, but there was no apology for the missed airport pick up, and it was a cold welcome at best. The whole process was uncomfortable. I wasn’t given any information about the hotel or the area.

A morning later, I was leaving the hotel for a tour, when the manager told me that he needed my room. He told me that he was going to put me in a different, but better room, and asked that I pack up my things to move. I wondered what was going on, so I asked him several times why he needed my room, but he didn’t give me any explanation, and he got increasingly irritated with me for asking. I just wanted to know why I was being moved, and wondered if I’d be moved several times during my stay. I also worried that I’d be charged extra money for the change. I left for the day, and when I returned, one of the staff gave me my new room key. I asked the woman why I was being moved, and she called the manager over to talk to me. The manager became extremely angry and yelled at me for continuing to ask questions. I was stunned and walked away, but he kept yelling. He was irate. It was unbelievable. I finally went up to the room, which was very nice and larger than my original room, but I was so shaken and upset by the whole encounter, it was hard to enjoy it.

Some nice things about the hotel: They provide a good breakfast in the morning and the terraces offer lovely views. The hotel is well situated - an easy walk to many restaurants and shops. The hotel is fairly quiet, except for the early morning call to prayer coming from the nearby mosque.

I never did see the “library” mentioned on the website and it wasn’t clear to me which computer was available for guest use, though there is one in the reception area.

The room I was moved to was quite nice, and I was not charged extra for the upgrade. A complimentary bottle of wine was also included. On the downside, I had thought the room seemed fairly clean, but the night before I left, I checked under the bed for anything I might have dropped, and found that the area (under the bed) hadn’t seen a dust mop in ages. There were some bunched up night clothes from a prior guest, along with some old batteries, pills, etc. It was pretty grimy. The bathroom was nice, but the hot water ran out fast.

I loved Goreme, but next time I will stay in another hotel. I am at a loss to explain the behavior of this hotel manager. I talked to other guests and got mixed feedback about their experiences. Some of them described the same surly, offensive behavior I encountered, and some had better things to say. My advice would be to stay elsewhere. I spent some time at the Kelebek, which was beautiful and friendly. The restaurant was great and the staff was very helpful. I would suggest taking a look at the Kelebek or another hotel in Goreme before staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Anabanana
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

we have rented a basic room on the higher level (202 or 203 I think). picture of our room on their website had a view of the chimney; well our room in real life didn't...
I found it overpriced for what it is. First impression of the hotel is small and old looking. As soon as you enter your room you will find that it smells very humid and there is no light coming into your room unlike the picutres on the website.
location is not much better than if you were to stay in Urgup or Nevsehir, where more choices of hotels available...we also had problems with hot water one morning... bed sheets and towels were really old however very clean... there were not enough supplies in the bathroom; "very" small bar oh olive oil soap and two little bottles of shampoo, nothing else...
Family who ran the hotel was nice and friendly and helpful but I think with small improvments here and there they can deserve the money they charge...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
istanbul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

Me and my wife took note of the good ratings of this hotel in Tripadvisor and booked a standard room for four days. However, the room provided to us had nothing to do with the photograph in the catalogue. The photo in the picuture showed a nicely lit room with a wonderful view of the fairy chimneys, whereas the room we had was without a window. It was a very small and dark room in the basement. When we complained about the situation, we encountered a very rude attitude by the hotel staff. The hotel administration later apoligized for this treatment and promised us that we would be given a suit room for two days and a delux room for the last day. However, they did not keep this promise. We noticed that our luggage were transfered to another standard room the second day. We were quite upset about this treatment. Moreover, during our stay, each morning, we were voken up by the morning prayer at about 5 o'clock as the hotel was quite clause to the local Göreme Mosque. As a result, we decided to leave the hotel one day early. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are many more much nicer and cheaper hotels out there in Göreme. Don't waste your money for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tokuzlu
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

Beautiful little family run in right in the center of Goreme, Cappadocia. Our room was very large, clean, and comfortable for European standards and the service was great. Only about 5-10 minute walk to the restaurants/attractions in Goreme and 30 minute walk to the Open Air Museum. The family was very accommodating, always offering us tea or coffee. They were more than happy to help us with our activities planned for each day. Their English was great, and they appeared to be very conversational in other languages as well. We didn't have laptops with us, and they offered to let us use their personal computer to check email. Their courtyard is beautiful for relaxing on a hot afternoon, and the view from their terrace at breakfast is stunning! For the price this inn has much to offer compared to the other lodging options in Goreme. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

This was a charming family-run business that gave us great value for our money. I particularly liked the family-run aspect of it because we could sit there in the afternoon, after a long (and hot) day of sightseeing and chit-chat with the owners. There is a mulberry tree in the main courtyard and the owners picked a bunch of the berries and gave us a plate to eat. The breakfast was delicious too - the jam is all homemade and delicious. So delicious that the bees love to come and hang out with you as you eat!

I thought the rooms were decent - they weren't too busy so they gave us the adjacent room for free, which was nice. Since we had four people, every extra bathroom helped. It was REALLY hot in the rooms though, even with the windows open. We borrowed a fan from reception but it didn't really help at all.

They were supposed to have free WiFi but I couldn't get it to work. And since I was on vacation I didn't bother to ask for help...

Overall, I would definitely stay in Goreme House again - it was a fantastic experience with great people. The owner's sister even helped me mail my postcards since I didn't have time to get the stamps. I gave her some money and she took them to the post office herself. Fantastic - only a family-run business would do that for me.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Exton, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

We recently stayed at Goreme House Hotel for couple of nights. The hotel is located couple of minutes from the center of the town. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel owners did a great job with our accommodations. The breakfast made by the owner's sister was excellent. My wife and I really enjoyed the view from the hotel terrace. The room prices are a little expensive compared to some other hotels but this place was recommended in our Turkey tour book.

The people of Turkey are great at hosting including the people running the Goreme House.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Ottoman Cave Suites
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews
Cappadocia Cave Suites
Cappadocia Cave Suites
#17 of 68 in Goreme

Been to Goreme House? Share your experiences!