“Excellent experience”

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The hotel , staff is excellent .Good room, restaurant and breakfast I recommend .

Stayed: April 2012
There are newer reviews for Kelebek Special Cave Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights in April 2012.

The staff was great -- welcoming, solicitous, knowlegeable, helpful, friendly.

The location is great, not too far from the center of Goreme, but up high enough for beautiful views.

The rooms are charming (and clean), with lots of interesting details.

The breakfasts are delicious and abundant.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We travelled in the off season of end March. Therefore the hotel was not fully functional. Even then the hotel is quite lovely.

The room was lovely and huge. It had a nice fireplace which was really essential as the night temperature was -2 degrees. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast area was quite simple and very simple cold food laid out. They could have been better by getting some omelets or at least some hot food.

Room Tip: Try to choose a higher leveled room as it will give a great view right from your room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed four nights in Room 1 and enjoyed an excellent stay. Hassan gave us the induction and was most helpful. We took his advice and booked with Butterfly Ballons for a terrific ride and used the Kelebek hamam. The breakfasts, food, atmosphere, communal spaces and complementary apple tea and coffee all day and into the late night make it easy to fall for the charm of Kelebek and Goreme. A little weird I know, but the hotel accounts are the most informative and accurate ones i've ever seen. Thanks Hassan and to all the staff for a perfect visit.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My elementary aged son and I had a very fun time here. The hotel was a as pictured on the website.

We used Turkish Heritage Travel, the Hotel Kelebek travel affiliated agency, to book the flight to Kayseri from Istanbul and back, airport transfers, the Hotel Kelebek for one night, and two days of tours. I did this via email before leaving the states. The Kelebek rooms were as pictured, the water in the shower was hot with sufficient pressure, and the beds were fine. (I did speak to someone later on different tour who did not get hot water in his hotel--a different one--and since this is important to me I appreciated not having a problem with this.)

The hotel is located in Goreme and is a short doable walk uphill from the town for a reasonably fit person of any age during reasonably good weather. The town itself is charming and clearly relies on tourists to support its economy. At the end of the tours, I enjoyed shopping in the shops (which normally I don't) and felt the negotiated prices were at least what I could have gotten on ebay with the added benefit of being purchased in a small town in Turkey--I purchased a piece of silver jewelry and got a fair price as I walked out of the shop. I probably would have spent more (as in bought more simple silver jewelry), in retrospect, after viewing what was available later in other places.

The tours themselves were interesting and fun, and the guide--Ciat-- was young but very knowledgeable, pleasant and good. The lunches on the tours were terrific. My son was able to get a camel ride on one of the tours for some nominal sum (around 15 Turkish lira--around $8.47 at the time), and I wish I had taken one too. The region of Cappadocia turned out to be a good place to take children (old enough to walk around) to because they could move around and run ahead a little on the tours.

Internet wireless was available at the Kelebek although I didn't see a computer in the lobby. There was no TV in the room we booked. The breakfast had a large selection including good bread and tea. We enjoyed it.

I would definitely recommend going to this part of Turkey, and the Hotel Kelebek worked out fine. There are balloon rides available for an extra fee--we didn't take them but the sight of them in the morning sun was beautiful.

Room Tip: What does it matter as long as the water is hot?
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great hotel with great service. Hassan took care of everything who is a friendly and helpful chap.

Stayed in one of the presidential suites and got free wine, fruits and Turkish delights.

Would not hesitate to come back should I stay in Goreme again.

Breakfast could have more variety though.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is more of an upscale couples retreat, but we still very much enjoyed ourselves. I was backpacking around Turkey w/ another girl (her 30th bday celebration) and we picked this as our splurge hotel. The rooms were gorgeous - we stayed in #13. Kelebek even provided a CD player so we could rock out to our new Tarkan CD we'd purchased earlier in the day at the market. I don't know if I'd go back, but it was definately worth it one time for the luxury cave experience. My only complaint would be with the food. The breakfast buffet was very plain and even the nice restaurant next door at their sister establishment Seten left something to be desired (I know others feel differently, but I was not impressed...good wine though). Also of note, we saw more americans here than anywhere else we went. Lots of couples from Vermont and the like in their 50s.
Definately take a balloon ride!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Aydinli Cave Hotel
#16 of 78 in Goreme
Grand Cave Suites
Grand Cave Suites
#11 of 78 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!