“Really enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Really enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Hotel is charming, offering wonderful views, located on a hillside above Goreme, a town situated inside a national park in Cappadocia. Rooms are less expensive and smaller than the sister hotel next door, but even tho my room (114) was small-ish, it was nicely furnished with local textiles and rugs. It had a private terrace as well. All rooms are unique.
One note: the bathroom (modern, spotlessly clean, well designed) was down an interior stair case on a separate level - must confirm with the hotel in advance if you cannot handle this kind of situation. Breakfast was fine out on the lovely terrace all three sunny mornings I stayed. The day-long tours were arranged by the in-house Heritage Travel agency and there is a turkish bath/spa on premises as well. One guide in particular was excellent - Cihad (not sure of the spelling). Had a delicious dinner at the Kelebek restaurant one evening (try the tandoor lamb!), and ate at the more up-market restaurant at the hotel next door as well which was good too. Great red Cappadocian wine not to be missed! Kelebek had lots of sitting areas both indoors and out, where you could relax and read if you had the time, which we didn't.
Staff was friendly, ready to help when needed, such as carrying luggage up steps, handling billing/check out, etc. I'd go back for sure. Only small criticism was that they could have used more lighting in the backroom, given that it did not have a window.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a valley view and be sure to clarify (if you cannot handle a stairway to the bat...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed here twice in the same month to bring back friends. I was recommended this place by another friend and I'm so glad we followed her advice. When I went at the end of February it was snowing and it let up quite a bit when I went again in March. It was amazing to sleep in cave rooms that are modernized. The first weekend we were upgraded to room 116 - cozy room with a mini balcony and great view. I ended up sleeping on a mattress in front of the fireplace because there were 3 of us. There was a bit of a draft because it was snowing outside, but I was fine. A little thing I appreciated was the warm towel rack in the bathroom. The next time I went I stayed in room 13 which was quit big as it had a little seating area and fireplace. There's really no view, but my friend who gets claustrophobic had no problem. The air felt a little stuffy to me (perhaps because we had tried to light a fire without help), but my friend had no problem. Our other friends stayed in 3 other rooms and they were all great. The stone room suite of 110 was incredible with high ceilings. The group of 8 of us ended up meeting there sometimes. Also the breakfast we good with a view of the small town. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JPKtravels
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

The hotel , staff is excellent .Good room, restaurant and breakfast I recommend .

Stayed April 2012
MASS
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights in April 2012.

The staff was great -- welcoming, solicitous, knowlegeable, helpful, friendly.

The location is great, not too far from the center of Goreme, but up high enough for beautiful views.

The rooms are charming (and clean), with lots of interesting details.

The breakfasts are delicious and abundant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We travelled in the off season of end March. Therefore the hotel was not fully functional. Even then the hotel is quite lovely.

The room was lovely and huge. It had a nice fireplace which was really essential as the night temperature was -2 degrees. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast area was quite simple and very simple cold food laid out. They could have been better by getting some omelets or at least some hot food.

Room Tip: Try to choose a higher leveled room as it will give a great view right from your room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed four nights in Room 1 and enjoyed an excellent stay. Hassan gave us the induction and was most helpful. We took his advice and booked with Butterfly Ballons for a terrific ride and used the Kelebek hamam. The breakfasts, food, atmosphere, communal spaces and complementary apple tea and coffee all day and into the late night make it easy to fall for the charm of Kelebek and Goreme. A little weird I know, but the hotel accounts are the most informative and accurate ones i've ever seen. Thanks Hassan and to all the staff for a perfect visit.

Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My elementary aged son and I had a very fun time here. The hotel was a as pictured on the website.

We used Turkish Heritage Travel, the Hotel Kelebek travel affiliated agency, to book the flight to Kayseri from Istanbul and back, airport transfers, the Hotel Kelebek for one night, and two days of tours. I did this via email before leaving the states. The Kelebek rooms were as pictured, the water in the shower was hot with sufficient pressure, and the beds were fine. (I did speak to someone later on different tour who did not get hot water in his hotel--a different one--and since this is important to me I appreciated not having a problem with this.)

The hotel is located in Goreme and is a short doable walk uphill from the town for a reasonably fit person of any age during reasonably good weather. The town itself is charming and clearly relies on tourists to support its economy. At the end of the tours, I enjoyed shopping in the shops (which normally I don't) and felt the negotiated prices were at least what I could have gotten on ebay with the added benefit of being purchased in a small town in Turkey--I purchased a piece of silver jewelry and got a fair price as I walked out of the shop. I probably would have spent more (as in bought more simple silver jewelry), in retrospect, after viewing what was available later in other places.

The tours themselves were interesting and fun, and the guide--Ciat-- was young but very knowledgeable, pleasant and good. The lunches on the tours were terrific. My son was able to get a camel ride on one of the tours for some nominal sum (around 15 Turkish lira--around $8.47 at the time), and I wish I had taken one too. The region of Cappadocia turned out to be a good place to take children (old enough to walk around) to because they could move around and run ahead a little on the tours.

Internet wireless was available at the Kelebek although I didn't see a computer in the lobby. There was no TV in the room we booked. The breakfast had a large selection including good bread and tea. We enjoyed it.

I would definitely recommend going to this part of Turkey, and the Hotel Kelebek worked out fine. There are balloon rides available for an extra fee--we didn't take them but the sight of them in the morning sun was beautiful.

Room Tip: What does it matter as long as the water is hot?
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Aydinli Cave Hotel
#17 of 77 in Goreme
Goreme Inn Hotel
Goreme Inn Hotel
#3 of 77 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!