“Fantastic place to stay”

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Goreme
Victoria, Australia
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We recently spent four nights here while travelling around Turkey for five weeks. What a sensational place to be able to kick back for a few days and unwind. The location was perfect - far enough from the village to avoid any noise and close enough for an easy walk downtown. The highlight would have to be the organic breakfast at owner Mr Ali's valley hideaway. A tractor and cart ride to the rim of the valley was enjoyed with wonderful stories by Mr Ali about his early years and the history of the area. We then descended into the valley which was just superb and the breakfast was to die for with organic fruits and produce grown all around us. If you are looking for a place to enjoy fantastic service and amenities at a reasonable price this is it!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mungobart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was by far the highlight of my trip to Turkey. This hotel is located up a steep hill at the edge of Goreme, with wonderful rooms built into the caves. All the staff here, from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the hamam were extremely helpful and pleasant. The included breakfast had a huge selection, all of which was tasty. We also ended up having dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was the standard Turkish fare, but very tasty and affordable. The hotel organizes a number of activities--we did a tour of the underground cities, which was run by an excellent guide and well worth the price. The hotel also has a hamam, which we visited at the end of our stay. It was a beautiful setting and very relaxing. The only downside to the hotel is that the wifi is spotty in the rooms due to the thick rock, but I didn't mind sitting in the lounge to use the internet. I highly recommend this hotel -- I truly loved everything about it and would go back again!

Room Tip: We chose room 102, two twin beds with some nice extra amenities.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephen H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I can't believe there was still someone give the rate as "average"!! What are they still requiring for? Everything is perfect, it's not only a hostel but a Museum! My husband's eyes& mouth became so wild when he saw Kelebek. Everything is beyond our imagination, the small& cute garden, the friendly stuff, the perfect location, the charming room,the hearty breakfast and the amazing view...
In the morning, when we opened the window, we're shocked by what we saw!!! So many hot balloons are just outside of our window, what a beautiful dream!!
My 5 years little girl totally enjoyed her staying in Kelebek, she even remembers her friendly "sweety"(sorry I can't remember his name since my girl only called him in this way) till now, she got a warm-hearted hug on every morning & afternoon...and I believed this is the only guy she still remembered in our 2 weeks' journey... thanks for the smiling welcome!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yssy0916
Müllheim, Germany
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Kelebek in Göreme ist a truly special cave hotel. You are wandering around in it as in a three dimensional maze. Don't worry though about getting lost, there is always some friendly staff to put you back on the right track. From wherever you are you have an amazing view over Göreme and the surrounding mountains and caves.

The breakfast and dining room is right at the top of several levels. You can sit outdoors or in a small and cosy room just below the main dining area where you have a choice of table in one of the nooks and crannies. The food is delicious and there is something for all tastes. Nothing is fatty as everything is grilled and nicely flavoured but not too spicy, unless you especially ask for something hot. Very quickly you will get into a conversation with someone from any number of countries. The common language is English. Breakfast is also set up in the restaurant, buffet style, hot and cold dishes. These are mostly Turkish which are now my very favourite. I mainly stuck to my usual breakfast of muesli but added a variety of dried and fresh fruits. What i always added was a large spoon full of the dried mulberry fruit. All the fruit is wonderfully fresh and sweet. You can already tell that I love fruit.

There is also a "Hamam", the Turkish Bath, just down from the lobby. In the middle of a hot and steamy room is a big square stone slab. This accommodates 4 people, 3 side by side and one across, alongside their feet. I was the one at the feet of the other three. Every person has a towel wrapped around their rump and is being soaped and massaged by one of the little Asian girls. After you are finished you will have all that soap washed off. Dripping wet you can then dry yourself and and your dripping wet hair. I promise that you will feel like new. If you also want your feet massaged, which is a very good idea after climbing around those caves and underground cities, a young man will take over. He is kind and considerate no matter what shape your feet are in. I think nobody should leave Turkey without having experienced a Hamam.

What you will have gathered from my description of the Kelebek Cave Hotel is that there are steps everywhere and I mean high steps, like the 40 cm high step from my room up to the shower and toilet area and also down from outside my room. From there more steps up again into the lobby, then outside the building and up once more to the dining area. I would therefore recommend this hotel mainly to reasonably fit people. For me it sadly was not right. After just one night I had to tell the manager that I could not cope with the steps. He was very understanding and told me that there was another hotel from the same owner just down in the town. So I packed up my things and was driven down to the Heybe Hotel which was just perfect for me. This however, is another story. My last question is only, "when are you going there?" If you are flexible with your planning make it May or September."

Room Tip: On their website you will find pictures of all rooms. Make sure though you book early. October, stil...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Eleonore H
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights in November. The property and service were amazing. Upon arrival, we were given an orientation to the area by one of the property managers (Onul.). Lots of great information and he made us feel at home. The hotel is extremely clean and very cool to see. I enjoyed sipping wine and relaxing in their restaurant/lounge and patio. After four days of running around Istanbul, this was a nice contrast. We took daytime tours that were recommended and organized by the hotel, and just enjoyed the hotel in the evenings. The staff anticipated our every need been though not all spoke English well. I really appreciated their willingness to figure out what I needed. The rate was quite reasonable and came with breakfast and wifi in their common areas. I'm picky and could find no faults with this property. Thanks for an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JonathanN378
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We found this hotel to be charming and unique. We admired the attention to detail, and everyone on staff was pleasant and eager to be of assistance. We loved exploring the different vantage points -- there are many places to see the town and the country. (Be sure to wake up early to see the many balloons pass by overhead.) We also enjoyed relaxing in the restaurant area, which is open all day to guests. The breakfasts were outstanding, and we had dinner there once, and it was very good too. And don't miss out on the hotel's Turkish bath -- it was a great way to end the trip, and well worth the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank west54st
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

What an enchanting beauty!! The hotel is decorated expertly to fit its unique surroundings. We enjoyed the hotel restaurant both for breakfast and dinner. I also relished the Turkish Bath. We all enjoyed the hotel tour seeing and experiencing much more than we ever could on our own. The hotel service was way beyond what is hotel norm. It was the hotel who discovered our flight out was cancelled and it was the hotel also who arranged another flight and subsequent very early am airport shuttle for us. Before the shuttle came to pick us up at 4:45 am the night receptionist handed us sandwiches and drinks to take with us. Staff was so gracious despite having to go home late, do extra work or be awake in the early, early morning because of us. We would have been in trouble had you not helped us. Thank you sooo much!

Room Tip: Our room for 4 was enchanting! I don't think one could go wrong with any of the rooms!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jo-anne M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Divan Cave House
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Sultan Cave Suites
Sultan Cave Suites
#15 of 76 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!