“You couldn't get any better!”

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Goreme
Calgary, Canada
“You couldn't get any better!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband, mother and I spent two days and three nights at Kelebek Hotel. It was the most amazing place to stay and we do a great deal of travelling. Every single staff member was exceptionally helpful. The breakfast was fantastic and the setting perfect. They provided us with a drive into the main centre and pick up when my mother injured her foot, without hestitation. Our morning departure flight was very early and they provided us with a bag lunch since we would miss breakfast. The Turkish massage at the hotel was one of a kind and it shouldn't be missed. Although the massage was for 70 minutes, we stayed for 2 hours. You must stay here if you visit!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had seen on TripAdvisor that this hotel was ranked number 1, so decided to book. It certainly lived up to its reputation....and more! Stunning location, above the town, easy walking distance. Quite hilly and quite a few steps, but worth it! For the slightly older visitor, easy to walk down....you might want to take a taxi back up. Beautiful, well equipped rooms and really sumptuous bathrooms. The staff are so helpful and friendly. They booked our Balloon ride with Butterfly Balloons! Not to be missed! The hotel has a great swimming pool, and we had the most divine Turkish Bath in their beautiful therapy area. Lovely breakfast on a balcony, overlooking the town. Views of the fairy chimneys. Just perfect. I'm just sorry that we only had 2 nights there. Next time, I'll stay longer to enjoy their amazing hospitality! I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!!!!! If you wake up at 5.45 am , and step outside your room, you will see the sky covered with hot air balloons, quietly soaring above. Spectacular!

Room Tip: Go on the website to choose the room that you want. They are all different. We had room 102, which w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrea C
philadelphia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed in July. We had two rooms - both king suites. They accomodated the kids by adding a bed to one of the rooms. Rooms had sitting areas, beds, and nice bathrooms. The hotel was really cool. There were so many nooks and crannies. My daughter loved sitting in the rose garden on the hammock. We all loved the pool which had a beautiful view of the town. The pool also had a bar.

The owner was incredible. He took the time to go over various tours and help us make wise decisions (such as not going to the Open Air Museum in the middle of the day). He also DROVE US to the museum to avoid the uphill walk. When I requested decaff coffee, they DROVE us to town to find it.

They recommended the best restaurants (Go to Topdeck!) and helped at all times.

Look no further. This is a great hotel! We hope to visit again one day.

Room Tip: Maybe we should have considered a cave room during the summer. We were a little hot (though they pro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Literally, you sleep in a cave. It's the coolest thing. The people who run the hotel are warm and oh-so-friendly. The hotel itself is almost like a resort (without the tacky factor) - it has a pool with a marvelous view (swim at sunset!) and quiet communal areas (with a nice coffee shop/restaurant, comfortable cushioned reading areas, hammocks, etc.) spread out amid the labyrinthian cave structure.
We ended up meeting a lot of great people here - somehow the atmosphere lends itself to both privacy and community. The hotel offers really great tours without any shopping pressures. To book, you have to email them - rates are only available on their website, but very reasonably priced. The breakfast is amazing. Location is great - you can walk into the town and to the Open Air Museum quite easily. For other sites, book the tours - the guides are easygoing and tourists are very, very well-treated. Goreme is one of those places where everyone knows everyone, and they really aim to please their visitors.

Room Tip: All the rooms have individual touches; in very hot months, ask for a fan - since you're sleeping...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Kelebek is the most unique hotel I've ever stayed at. Some of the rooms are cave rooms, while others are newer manmade structures. I booked back in September 2013 for my July 2014 stay, and all rooms were available at that point. You can pick your room, and each room has a description on the website. Before booking, I e-mailed the hotel...this was our e-mail exchange:

Me: Do you have availability from 7/22/2014 - 7/25/2014 for a Deluxe room?

I am looking for the best room available with A/C and a window/view of the town.

Hotel: All of our rooms are available for the dates you have requested.

Me: Which of the deluxe rooms has the best view? Do they all have a/c?

Hotel: Rooms 20 and 3 have the best view.

Me: Great, thanks. We'll take room 20.

This may be totally my fault, but I assumed that room 20 had a/c based on the lack of response regarding the matter. When we got there, I found out room 20 did not have a/c and temperatures were reaching 95 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. We decided to tough it out since there was quite a lovely breeze the first day, and I was able to take an early afternoon nap without a problem.

By nighttime, the breeze had vanished, but we still slept with the windows open for ventilation and hopes of a breeze. That was problematic because there was a loud barking dog all night - I had to use my ear plugs!

In the morning, we decided to pay the difference for a room with a/c for the next 2 nights. We were given room 107 for night 2 and room 111 for night 3. Room 107 was certainly larger than our original room, but it was dark and dungeon-like. The most disappointing part of it all was that the a/c didn't work, so we had to go another night without it.

As a kind gesture, the owner/manager upgraded us to their nicest room for night 3 (room 21), which DID have working a/c. I rarely expect exceptional customer service in foreign countries...I feel like that is a very American thing, but the hotel went above and beyond to make us happy at the end of the day, and for that, they get 5 stars.

Getting back to the hotel itself:

-The check-in process is lovely. The owner recommends activities and provides insider tips, which was very helpful. I do believe they will also book affiliate tours for you (Butterfly Balloons is their sister company).
-The grounds are gorgeous with multiple outdoor sitting/lounge areas by the pool, garden, reception area, and restaurant. Most of the time, you will see guests sitting outside as it is hard to get wifi inside many of the rooms.
-There is complimentary breakfast from 7:30 - 10:30 at the hotel with the option to participate in their complimentary daily organic breakfast at 8:30 in the valley. You get picked up by a wagon and driven 15 minutes into the valley. You do have to walk down some sandy steps, so I would recommend wearing sneakers.
-Every one of the staff members is friendly and helpful.
-The pool terrace is the perfect place to view the hot air balloons at sunrise.

If you are considering a stay in Cappadocia, I highly recommend staying at Kelebek. Just make sure you realize most rooms do not have a/c, so if that is what you want, double check with the hotel. Also, the hotel is hard to find, but if you can locate Butterfly Balloons on one of the main roads, you will see signs on the building direction you to Kelebek.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank WorldTraveler275
South Africa
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Kelebek was recommended to us by different people and we can now understand why. Our stay was excellent and with coffee and tea on the house, we just had to visit the outside sitting area often - and it was so special. Especially to watch the sun set over the magical valley. Breakfast was excellent. They organised the balloon flight for us and were also extremely helpful to help us with renting a car to explore Cappadoccia.They picked us up and dropped us at the Kayseri airport. Everything worked out as scheduled. It was lovely to have a drink at the swimming pool in the late afternoons and mingle with other guests. We will now also recommend Kelebek Cave Hotel.
If I may, I'd like to also give some constructive criticism: We stayed in Room 12 and the people getting up early for the balloon flights as well as people coming and going from the restaurant had to pass our room. The woke us up many times. Although the breakfast served at the hotel is stunning, the bun they give you when you go to the airport before breakfast (which you pay for) is absolutely without taste - no butter, a piece of tomato and a green leaf and that is all. I'm sure Kelebek could improve on that!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wannagoplaces2
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful hotel for 3 nights. I loved my "fairy chimney" room and the views from the hotel are magical, especially around sunrise when you can watch the hot air balloons floating by. There is a beautiful garden and a very nice swimming pool too. One of the reasons I booked this hotel is because of their option to visit the family farm for an organic breakfast and a bit of history and I thoroughly enjoyed that excursion and the delicious breakfast. The food on the hotel premises at their restaurant was also delicious. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are lovely, quiet, comfortable, clean & beautifully decorated. Having been a professional massage therapist for over 20 years I must mention the excellent reflexology treatment I received at their heavenly Hamam. The airport transfers they offer are very convenient as well. Cappadocia is a very unique and special place and Goreme itself has a lot to offer. I highly recommend going on a hot air balloon ride. That was so much fun and wow...the views are spectacular. I hope to return to the Kelebek Hotel and bring my husband with me. He'd love it too.

Room Tip: I loved the fairy chimney room. I imagine all the rooms are nice though. It's a lovely hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tracey S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Divan Cave House
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Sultan Cave Suites
Sultan Cave Suites
#12 of 72 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!