“Very Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Goreme
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed in Room 111 (Divanhane Suite) for five nights in early October. The room was pretty awesome - clean, large and spacious, but also cozy, quaint and full of character. It also appeared exactly as it is shown on the hotel's website, so you can feel safe in trusting those pictures. My only complaint with the room was the floor of the shower - it was made of some sort of rocky material and it was uncomfortable to stand on. Additionally, although we at first loved the fact that our room was tucked away down a short flight of stone steps (like our own private hideaway!), we quickly realized the next morning that it was directly beneath one of the hotel's breakfast rooms - so there was definitely some noise each morning as breakfast was being set up. However, there was not a lot of noise during the actual breakfast hours, as this particular breakfast room seemed to not attract most of the hotel's guests, who instead ate up in the main area. So there were not a lot of diners up there making noise. We were told that we would be having our breakfast there, but after a few days of being the only ones eating in that room, we decided to go up to the main breakfast area just to have some company. On the subject of breakfast, it was pretty standard (cereals, dried fruits, breads and spreads, juices) - nothing extraordinarily good or bad. My one final complaint with the room was that it was located right next to the road leading up to the hotel, so there was quite a bit of traffic driving by.

All of that sounds pretty negative, but I just wanted to get it out of the way. The hotel is overall pretty fantastic. The grounds are really lovely, full of roses, canopies, trellises, fairy chimneys, stone arches and traditional Turkish furniture and decor tucked into every nook and cranny. The hotel cats are adorable and entertaining and will gladly come into your room for a snuggle. (I realize that this is not necessarily a positive thing for many people, but for us cat lovers, it was great. We had one rainy day, and we spent it watching movies in our room on our laptop with one of the friendliest hotel cats curled up with us.) It's true that there are lot of steps and passageways and levels to this hotel, and I never did quite get my bearings - I got lost making my way from our room to the main common area several times. But to me, this just added to the overall charm of the place.

The main common area of the hotel, where the small restaurant and office are, is welcoming, warm, cozy, quaint and just plain enjoyable to be in. The problem is that everyone feels this way, so it is often quite crowded with people (and it is a small area to begin with). But that's ok, it all contributes to the convivial atmosphere of this hotel.
Hasan, the general manager, is truly awesome, and is willing to do pretty much anything for his guests. When you check in, he sits you down in his office, offers you tea and tells you pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about the area. He makes everyone feel like his best friend. I realize this is all just part of his business strategy, but he's good at it, so it deserves a mention.

The hotel serves food in its small and cozy (did I mention this place is cozy yet?) dining area, and it was really good. My husband is a huge food snob, and even he enjoyed it. Definitely get the "pumpkin dessert", it's fantastic. We also ate one night at the hotel's related restaurant located nearby (I'm blanking on its name). It was more expensive and not quite as good, although again full of charm.

The hotel's related travel agency, Heritage Travel, seemed to be well-run and organized. We went on the Explore & Hike Tour and also saw the Whirling Dervish ceremony. We enjoyed both, although the Explore & Hike Tour did end with a stop at a carpet factory (ahem, carpet "production center") that was not listed on the itinerary. Apparently this is par for the course on any sort of guided tour in Turkey. It was definitely interesting, but it all felt a little slimy, especially since we were given a grand total of 20 minutes to explore the Selime Monastery, but were at the carpet factory getting pressured by salesmen for well over an hour. I won't go into it too much in this review, because I'm not sure how much the hotel is involved with the tours offered by the travel agency.

As it was too cold to use the pool, I can't review it, but it looked clean. However, both the pool and the overall pool area seemed pretty small, so I can see how it would get really crowded in the summer, and possibly be pretty unenjoyable.

I also did not use the hamam, which I'm bummed about. I just never got around to it. I heard from other guests that it was fantastic.

If you have a rental car, parking was kind of a pain, because the hotel only has 3 or 4 designated spots. If you get back later at night, you won't get a spot. But we were usually able to park on the street with no problems.

Overall, despite a few negatives, I think this really is a great and well-run place. The landscape is spectacular, the staff is friendly, our room was pretty awesome. No, there's no minibar or wifi in the rooms (actually, the no wifi part did kind of suck, as walking up and down all of those flights of stone steps to get to a connected area was a pain, and I was always worried that I was going to trip and drop the laptop), but for our money, this was a really good experience and a very pleasant stay. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jemma64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We were very happy with the Kelebek - the rooms are nice, the food is good, and the location is not as bad as we were led to expect from some of the other reviews. (That hill is not that big! :)) We stayed in room 20 and were very happy, particularly with many of the staff. I ended up getting sick while there with a cold, and my throat was raw and painful. The guys knew this, and made sure I always had a delicious, hot apple tea in my hand (without ever charging me for them.) Being on vacation whilst sick is always awful, but those acts of kindness made me feel so much better.

We enjoyed Cappadoccia, renting a car through Kelebek and taking a balloon ride via them as well (amazing.) My only negative for the hotel was when we arrived - no one helped us with bags, the girl who greeted us was very disinterested, and there was no "tour" or anything of the premises. (I still wonder if they were too interested in the side business of being a tour operator too get every detail right.)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Hotel Kelebek is a charming, hobbit-like hotel that is very cool with some cave rooms. Our room was part cave and part stone with a turkish flare, living room and a large bathroom. The hotel staff is incredibly helpful and very nice and attentive. This hotel also has a great spa that features a turkish bath that is a must!!! The restaurant that is connected to the sister hotel next door is called "Sultan" and is fabulous. The atmosphere, food and staff is outstanding. This is definitely a must-stay in Goerme.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Kelebek for 3 nights in October and had a wonderful time. We only ate in their restaurant one evening and the food was quite good. Breakfast each morning was plentiful with breads and fruit. I became addicted to their local apple tea. There are cats and kittens that scamper around the hotel (and every other hotel or home ... they are everywhere) which I don't mind because I like cats. If one is allergic to cats or does not like them ... I would suggest avoiding Turkey period. :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We arrived in Turkey from Amsterdam and the Kelebek was our first hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff did all that they could to make us feel welcome. We booked one of the smallest cave rooms (and cheapest) and it was fine. On our last night we needed to move to a larger room and it was very nice. The breakfast buffet was excellent; lots of choice and everything was fresh. We chose to eat our other meals in town, but everyone else said that the food was good for lunch and dinner too. The staff was very, very friendly and we enjoyed chatting with them. Great location; a short walk downhill. We spent a "sick day" hanging around the hotel and never felt underfoot. A wonderful place to begin our 4 week Turkish vacation!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 2 November 2010

You could just stay at the hotel's terrace all day and if its getting cold hide in the hammam. Zip a beer or çay at the terrace while watching the singularly beautiful scenery is like being in a fairy tale. Within in minutes from the central Otogar (bus) station overlooking the village it is a perfect basis to explore the area. The rooms vary in size: We stayed in two different rooms. The junior suites are excellent: space, comfort, bed size, with fireplace (which we actually used!). The pool is outdoor so in Summer it must be a delight (we stayed end October). You could book all type of excursions through the hotel directly. Breakfast was very delicious and the one time we had lunch it was good although you should try the village's restaurants. One of the best hotels I ever stayed at.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We enjoyed room 114. This place is fanastic. beautiful sunrise,breakfast bar is great the staff is very helpfull, let them arrange you day trips with their heritage travel. Good view of the town. Great Spa and turkish bath and don't forget the sauna.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Goreme Inn Hotel
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Sultan Cave Suites
Sultan Cave Suites
#13 of 72 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!