“Wonderful place”

Ranked #6 of 69 Hotels in Goreme
Chicago
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Goreme is an impressive place, and the Kelebek is an impressive hotel to take in the town. Its high up on a hill that overlooks Goreme, and the rooms are all wonderful - and mostly dug out from the hill itself. Its a bit pricey compared to what I would usually stay in, but I think it was worth it. The staff is great (the manager was especially a very helpful, friendly guy), and the breakfast spread they had each morning was fantastic. I was here in November, so we couldnt take advantage of the rooftop deck overlooking the city in the evening because of the cold, but in the summer I would think it is wonderful. If you get up at sunrise, you get a nice panorama of the village with dozens of hot air balloons drifting down the valley. We had dinner here one evening and it was quite good... and its one of the few places in Turkey I found that actually served Efes Dark beer. Good stuff.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Goreme, Turkey
Reviewed 6 December 2010

There is nowhere else in the world like Goreme and being there means the opportunity ton sleep in a cave. I chose Kelebek Hotel as my first option and feel I could not have done better. The rooms were very lovely and much care is taken to maintain the property. Also, as a solo traveler the staff was more than helpful. A special thanks to Yasin for his professional, attentive and overall pleasant personality.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Highly recommend the hotel. Great breakfast, free internet access (their computer or w/ wifi), unique rooms, and an amazing view.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sweagle97
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 November 2010

We stayed at Kelebek Hotel for 4 nights in November 2010. It was just fantastic. Firstly they picked us up from the bus station and then filled us up with an excellent extensive buffet breakfast. Secondly, the rooms are very clean, atmospheric and have huge beds. Although the deluxe room (room 2) was a little small, especially the bathroom. The junior suite, however, was spacious and had excellent views (room 15). Thirdly, the staff were always cheerful and ready to assist in anyway. We booked a balloon ride with Butterfly Balloons which was a little more expensive than the travel agents in town, but our basket only contained 13 people (compared to 25+). The whirling dervishes was also a worthwhile excursion and the hotel provides complimentary transport to and from the performance. Overall, Kelebek provided a complete capadoccian experience and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nader83
istanbul
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed Kelebek Hotel for 3 nights and it was perfect. The room was clean and the hotel staff was very helpful and the room had a fireplace:)
You could enjoy the view in the morning while you had your breakfast or at night while you were drinking your wine. Also, I recommend in the morning around 6:30, the balloons were taking off around that area and the sky was full of balloons.
It was a really great experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank quinidines
Arizona
Reviewed 21 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Kelebek Hotel, room 1, for 4 nights. It's one of the cave hotels in Goreme. We liked everything about this little hotel and pension; the room, the food, the service. The breakfasts were fantastic. The location of the Kelebek is perfect for visiting the entire Cappadocia region. We are seasoned travelers. We highly recommend this delightful little hotel.

Arizona, USA

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed in Room 111 (Divanhane Suite) for five nights in early October. The room was pretty awesome - clean, large and spacious, but also cozy, quaint and full of character. It also appeared exactly as it is shown on the hotel's website, so you can feel safe in trusting those pictures. My only complaint with the room was the floor of the shower - it was made of some sort of rocky material and it was uncomfortable to stand on. Additionally, although we at first loved the fact that our room was tucked away down a short flight of stone steps (like our own private hideaway!), we quickly realized the next morning that it was directly beneath one of the hotel's breakfast rooms - so there was definitely some noise each morning as breakfast was being set up. However, there was not a lot of noise during the actual breakfast hours, as this particular breakfast room seemed to not attract most of the hotel's guests, who instead ate up in the main area. So there were not a lot of diners up there making noise. We were told that we would be having our breakfast there, but after a few days of being the only ones eating in that room, we decided to go up to the main breakfast area just to have some company. On the subject of breakfast, it was pretty standard (cereals, dried fruits, breads and spreads, juices) - nothing extraordinarily good or bad. My one final complaint with the room was that it was located right next to the road leading up to the hotel, so there was quite a bit of traffic driving by.

All of that sounds pretty negative, but I just wanted to get it out of the way. The hotel is overall pretty fantastic. The grounds are really lovely, full of roses, canopies, trellises, fairy chimneys, stone arches and traditional Turkish furniture and decor tucked into every nook and cranny. The hotel cats are adorable and entertaining and will gladly come into your room for a snuggle. (I realize that this is not necessarily a positive thing for many people, but for us cat lovers, it was great. We had one rainy day, and we spent it watching movies in our room on our laptop with one of the friendliest hotel cats curled up with us.) It's true that there are lot of steps and passageways and levels to this hotel, and I never did quite get my bearings - I got lost making my way from our room to the main common area several times. But to me, this just added to the overall charm of the place.

The main common area of the hotel, where the small restaurant and office are, is welcoming, warm, cozy, quaint and just plain enjoyable to be in. The problem is that everyone feels this way, so it is often quite crowded with people (and it is a small area to begin with). But that's ok, it all contributes to the convivial atmosphere of this hotel.
Hasan, the general manager, is truly awesome, and is willing to do pretty much anything for his guests. When you check in, he sits you down in his office, offers you tea and tells you pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about the area. He makes everyone feel like his best friend. I realize this is all just part of his business strategy, but he's good at it, so it deserves a mention.

The hotel serves food in its small and cozy (did I mention this place is cozy yet?) dining area, and it was really good. My husband is a huge food snob, and even he enjoyed it. Definitely get the "pumpkin dessert", it's fantastic. We also ate one night at the hotel's related restaurant located nearby (I'm blanking on its name). It was more expensive and not quite as good, although again full of charm.

The hotel's related travel agency, Heritage Travel, seemed to be well-run and organized. We went on the Explore & Hike Tour and also saw the Whirling Dervish ceremony. We enjoyed both, although the Explore & Hike Tour did end with a stop at a carpet factory (ahem, carpet "production center") that was not listed on the itinerary. Apparently this is par for the course on any sort of guided tour in Turkey. It was definitely interesting, but it all felt a little slimy, especially since we were given a grand total of 20 minutes to explore the Selime Monastery, but were at the carpet factory getting pressured by salesmen for well over an hour. I won't go into it too much in this review, because I'm not sure how much the hotel is involved with the tours offered by the travel agency.

As it was too cold to use the pool, I can't review it, but it looked clean. However, both the pool and the overall pool area seemed pretty small, so I can see how it would get really crowded in the summer, and possibly be pretty unenjoyable.

I also did not use the hamam, which I'm bummed about. I just never got around to it. I heard from other guests that it was fantastic.

If you have a rental car, parking was kind of a pain, because the hotel only has 3 or 4 designated spots. If you get back later at night, you won't get a spot. But we were usually able to park on the street with no problems.

Overall, despite a few negatives, I think this really is a great and well-run place. The landscape is spectacular, the staff is friendly, our room was pretty awesome. No, there's no minibar or wifi in the rooms (actually, the no wifi part did kind of suck, as walking up and down all of those flights of stone steps to get to a connected area was a pain, and I was always worried that I was going to trip and drop the laptop), but for our money, this was a really good experience and a very pleasant stay. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jemma64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Goreme Inn Hotel
Aren Cave Hotel
Aren Cave Hotel
#1 of 69 in Goreme
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!