“The pefect place -- and the best shower in town”
Review of Arch Palace Hotel

Arch Palace Hotel
Ranked #40 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Mexico City, Mexico
“The pefect place -- and the best shower in town”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have stayed at three places in beautiful Göreme over the years: Peri Pension (1998), Kelabek (2009) and now Arch Palace. I like the latter the best because the rooms are lovely and clean, the bathrooms are wonderful, the location is perfect, the views from the terrace are incredible and, most of all, Mustafa, the owner-host, is a great guy. He's helpful yet not overbearing, he has a great sense of humor, he will help you with everything you could possibly need. It's an intimate place with 10 or so rooms and unlike Kelebek, doesn't feel like a "business enterprise". It's more like staying at a friends' place. I would highly recommend this hotel and its owner, Mustafa.

Room Tip: We were in room 101 because my mom recently had knee surgery and it was fine. I suppose I'd choo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed in a family room with our 2 teenage sons and loved this place. The beds are seriously comfortable, the roof terrace perfect and the breakfast delicious but what really makes this place feel like home is the owner, Mustafa. He was a wealth of information, whether you wanted to explore the area with a tour or independently and above all, he was good company; we enjoyed our chats at breakfast. A special mention should also go to Abdullah (Abu) for his friendly service. I can’t think of a better start to the day than having breakfast on Mustafa’s roof terrace overlooking Goreme. There’s also a tented seating area on the roof, which is a nice place to spend a few hours and relax. Arch Palace isn’t a cave hotel, which we weren’t looking for, but it has character, is close to town and has a very friendly vibe. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank howie2507
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Having read through previous reviews I was eager to meet the owner Mustafa! The reviews are spot on. Mustafa is the most dedicated, helpful, pleasant hotel owner I have ever met in all of my travels!!

When we arrived, my boyfriend had been sick for a few days and was feeling quite rough after the journey. Mustafa drove us straight to the chemist, waited for us and brought us back.

As mentioned by the other reviewers, Mustafa was extremely helpful explaining what there was to do in Goreme, without doing a sales pitch! He organised a tour of Goreme for us which was excellent (red tour).

The following day, we decided not to do the green (full day) tour, as we weren't up to full health yet, but Mustafa came to talk to us after breakfast and explained how we could visit the underground city Kaymakli by ourselves. Much cheaper than a tour and we really enjoyed taking the buses with the locals.

The rooms were lovely, comfortable, clean and lovely and cool. The temperatures were almost 40 degrees celsius during the day, and we didn't need air con at all!

Breakfast was nice, and the views from the roof terrace are lovely. I've forgotten the name of the other guy who works with Mustafa, but he was always very helpful and polite too.

The best night our whole holiday was also down to Mustafa. We wanted to see a Whirling Dervish performance. Mustafa organised this for us, drove us to the venue, shook hands with the man at the door and walked us straight up to the best seats in the house. He was waiting outside for us when the performance was over. He had booked dinner for us at the Nostalgia restaurant (as they need a few hours notice to properly cook the clay pot dishes). When we were leaving the hotel, Mustafa suggested that we walk up to sunset point, behind the hotel, before going to dinner. (and gave us directions of course). I'm so glad he suggested this, it was magical! We were pleasantly surprised to find that we could watch the rest of the sunset from the restaurant. The food and service were excellent and reasonably priced.

The next morning we woke up early for our airport transfer to the surreal beautiful sight of a morning sky filled with hot air balloons. If you stay here, make sure you pop your head out the window at about 6 am one of the mornings!

Thank you so much Mustafa!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are quite close to reception and you may be disturbed by people getting up early to go...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I was a little sceptical that anyone could be as professional and as personable as people described Mustafa, but he and his staff really are wonderful. Prices were great and our standard double room had a newly renovated bathroom with plenty of hot water and good pressure. The mattress was comfortable and the air conditioner was new and worked fantastically. Mustafa suggested various activities and we chose the ones we felt met our needs best, but there was no hard sell. I will definitely recommend that everyone, from the budget minded to the tiara- toting, choose this hotel. Places like this are what make traveling such a positive experience!
Bruce and Becky

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becky E
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Like many of the other reviewers, I must praise the Arch Palace's owner Mustafa for his true dedication to patrons of his hotel. He really helped us make the most out of our five days in Cappadocia and went way above and beyond what you would expect from a hotelier - it was like having your favorite uncle there with you!

Upon arrival at the Goreme bus station, I asked the assistant at the tourist information booth where the Arch Palace hotel was so that we could walk there, but he asked us to have a seat and told us Mustafa would come pick us up. He called the hotel immediately and Mustafa was there with his van two minutes later, it was awesome. After we settled in to our room, Mustafa asked if he could give me a little more information about the area and I gladly agreed. We sat down in a comfortable area of the office and he spent about 20 minutes explaining things to me and answering all my questions. I really appreciated that he listened to what my wife and I specifically wanted to experience as travelers in Cappadocia and made helpful suggestions based on that, rather than just tossing out generic ideas. I left the office with lots of great ideas, some helpful maps and a lot of confidence that my stay was going to be outstanding. Later, Mustafa also organized our hot-air ballooning trip for us and suggested a wonderful restaurant when we asked him for his advice one night. He does not push products or services on you and he keeps your individual budget in mind when he makes suggestions.

As for the hotel, our first-floor double room was nice - the walls were stone (the norm for hotels in this region) and there was a window opening onto a quiet street. It was a little darker than your average hotel room, but that didn't bother us. The bathroom was a little small but also clean. The wi-fi worked well, even inside the room with the signal going through all that stone. Note that there is no A/C in the room, but you don't need it (trust me) because the stone keeps everything quite cool. The hotel has a bunch of fans available for people that need it a bit cooler to sleep, but we only grabbed a fan during one particularly warm night (38C during the day) and we were very comfortable. The terrace is very large and has a great view of Goreme; my wife and I came up here multiple times to read a book or have a drink - the hotel stocks a full fridge of water, soft drinks and beer and keeps the prices low (e.g. large beer = 5 TL, large (1.5 L) water = 1 TL).

If you are planning a trip to Cappadocia, I highly recommend that you choose the Arch Palace!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike E
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I just got back from 3 weeks traveling all around Turkey, and this was my favorite hotel of all. I had just a lovely stay at Arch Palace. The hotel itself is wonderful--beautifully decorated, spacious, big comfortable bed, great bathroom, quiet, and includes a generous breakfast on the roof which overlooks Goreme. (And it's shockingly affordable!). Mustafa and his family are just delightful. One of the great pleasures of travelling is meeting local people, and I am so happy to have met Mustafa. He is friendly and funny and sweet and real. He goes out of his way to be helpful, but is never intrusive. He is clearly proud of Goreme and is eager to share his knowledge and advice. And Cappadocia is one of the most magical places on earth. He arranged to pick me up from the airport (without me having to contact him), took me to a great lunch spot, sent me on a wonderful dayhike, recommended a great place for dinner, then set me up with an excellent daylong tour of Cappadocia. In fact, if you stay here, I would hold off on making plans until you speak with Mustafa. Oh, he also helped me get a hotel in the next city I was visiting. Stay here if you get the chance!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Aaron7six
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We recently visited this unique area and stayed at the Arch Palace Hotel. Everything about the hotel was warm and welcoming - the host and staff, furnishings and decor and convivial breakfasts. Our four days were spent exploring the valleys, ancient sites, restaurants and cultural highlights and we were greatly assisted by Mustafa - owner. He organised rental cars when we needed to cover some distance, suggested hiking tracks and good places to eat and even had a staff member escort us so we didn't get lost. His local know-how meant that we were able to fully enjoy our short stay without time-wasting or disappointment. I will certainly stay there if I am ever fortunate enough to have the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family