“Dervis dancers”

Dervis Evi Whirling Dervishes
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was quite amazing to watch the dancers start of slow and then just pick up speed how they do it without getting dizzy is quite something they also have beautiful voices worth a visit

1  Thank helen s

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Is not about the DERVISH dance, but about their religious ceremony , it's interesting only for a while.

1  Thank DEVz18
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Culturally significant no doubt, but attending this overpriced performance is much less informative than reading the Wikipedia entry. Unless you have an interest in this ceremony that is only allowed to be performed as a tourist attraction, spend your money elsewhere.

2  Thank Principaltraveller52
Reviewed 22 May 2014

You are sitting in on a religious ceremony that holds great significance to the participants. I personally found it quite boring and over priced. Watch it on u-tube and save the 35€.

1  Thank JohnH910
Reviewed 19 May 2014

For many years I have had a small statue of a whirling devish sitting close to my writing desk. As an engineer who once had a pair of ballet tights in his brief case I was intrigued with the fluid shape of the dance. A visit to Cappadocia last September brought me to the masoleum of the Mevlana Celaleddin-Ruma who was the founder of Sufism, the wonderfully form of contemplation that gives a peaceful cloak to the religion of Islam. It was not until many kilometers of travel did I find in the vicinity of Urgup and underground cave where I was able to see the Sema,or whirling Devish ceremony. Sema has seven parts and each part symbolizes a stage of the mystic journey to perfection called ascension(Mirac in Turkish).
Th evening begins with pipe, drums and a zither-like instrument. The dancers appear and then they led by a sort of conductor they start to dance, twsiting and flowing with arms slowly rising. They become engaged in an out-of-body experience. As one who has danced and acted and meditated I found myself entranced. My film maker and journalist son Nick has found that the art of meditation in the Sufi tradition has enaabled him to cope with the machinations of our fast changing world. I have always sought to find a way towards peace and to help to counter our headlong rush into crashing our world into total havoc in seeking a balance of man with nature in the world of climatic impacts. The Sema ceremony ends with aprayer for peace of the souls of all Prophets and all believers. To be able to see this ceremony was a very special highlight of an amazing holiday.

3  Thank Kentishtownboy