“LOVED this place and the hosts!”

Kemal's Guest House
Ranked #34 of 75 Goreme B&B and Inns
Newport, Washington
“LOVED this place and the hosts!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this very sweet cave house. Barbara and Kemal welcomed us like friends. Barbara made all of the arrangements for our stay for airport transports, a balloon ride, a hike with a personal guide and another day trip to see the underground city. They cooked a most wonderful dinner for us that we ate in their beautiful garden covered in grape vines, plants and flowers. My friend fell asleep one day on a couch in this lovely garden. The location could not have been better, we were able to walk to the open air museum and the many restaurant and shopping options. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We opted for a cave room that was cool, quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was planning on travelling to Cappadocia and got told that if I wanted to see the places tourists don´t usually get to see I should contact Barbara at Kemals Guesthouse, so I did.
Ended up staying there for about a week and a half and had an amazing time. Barbara really knows all the "secret" little spots in and around the beautiful valleys and Kemal is a great host, not to mention an amazing chef. Also really enjoyed just chilling in their garden after a long day of walking, where they helped me with anything I needed. My room was also very nice albeit a bit spartan (I stayed in one of their cave-rooms), that's alright though because you're not supposed to stay in your room when in Goreme, you need to go explore the amazing landscape around the village.

Room Tip: When traveling in a hot period (June/July) a cave room is recommended because they stay nice and coo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bwosz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My review starts from the time of booking- I must have emailed Barbara dozens of times with room questions/changes and then tour questions etc. She was very polites & helpful. I arranged transfers to & from the airport as well as 4 tours which were all seamless. There wasn't enough people staying at the time, so I didn't get to try the dinners.I had no problems aside from the rooster next door that would not stop making noise (I'm vegetarian but wish that some one would have eaten him), and that I had to pay cash... I was scrambling on my last night to be able to withdraw enough lira to pay my bill.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MadaleineB
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was walking through the Kizilcukur Valley when I came across three of Kemal's guests and Barbara at a fork in the path - a teahouse had intentionally tampered with the waymarks so that people would not walk towards the Red and Rose Valleys but rather towards his teahouse. I am so thankful I happened upon this group as they let me walk through the Valleys with them and were so warm and generous. Barbara has a wealth of knowledge from the plants, birdlife and knows where to go to find the churches - which I would of completely missed had I not been with her. Afterward, Barbara arranged a lift back into Goreme and I spent the afternoon in the beautiful garden at Kemal's with Barbara and the other 3 guests, not to mention Cotton, the gorgeous fluffy purramedic.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank quirky22blonde
kemal barbara d, Owner at Kemal's Guest House, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Quirky22blonde,
it was very nice tha you joined us, we enjoyed your company as well. Hopefully word will get around about the tampering with waymarks. Anyway, glad we were at the same crossroads at the same moment! Barbara
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I don't need much comfort in such places like cappadocia, but i do need some good service like activities and advise. As opposed to what's been promised in their website, service was awful. We couldn't get informed about hotel's activities and advices about what to see. Additionally, we weren't welcome at all. I do not reccomend this hotel. As there are countless opportunities for outdoor activity in cappadocia, it shouldn't be a problem to find a better hostel where they welcome, advise and help you to organize trekking, trips etc.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mococo1982
kemal barbara d, Owner at Kemal's Guest House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
We think you mixed up our guesthouse with some other place...we know our guests and their names. We think you did not stay with us, because we give info and maps for free on arrival here. We give tea on arrival for free. We do no push our guest to go on excursions, but if guests want we're there to help them find best spots in the area....Barbara and Kemal
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Kemal's Guest House is a hands-on, personal, quality experience -- it's shocking we paid so little for such a quality experience. Upon arrival, Kemal immediately gathers info on what you want to do with your stay and assists with phone calls (in Turkish) and recommendations. Barbara knows everything about the hiking (major part of your stay here should be hiking). She's cheeky and hilarious. Amin is a young, hip, hands-on associate who we ended up hanging out with in the lobby for a bit one afternoon. They even helped me recover my Kindle that I left on the bus en route to Cappadocia. Staying here is a fantastic way to get local opinion and insight and personality...all three speak excellent English for those who don't speak Turkish (and I think Barbara speaks Dutch. If not Dutch, it's something else...). Pleasant veranda for hanging out on hot afternoons and warm evenings.

TIPS:

The 15 euro dinner is WELL WORTH it. Kemal is a ridiculously good chef and the 5-course dinner they serve was one of the best meals in our three weeks in Turkey. It's a quiet, romantic experience...until they jump in with a few games and twists and jokes! Expect a memorable, delicious meal here. If you choose another hotel, still walk over in the morning and inquire about a reservation.

Not all the rooms are cave rooms. If you care about getting a cave room, ask ahead. The room we had was simple (it's a pension, after all), but perfectly comfortable and functional. Private bathroom.

The complimentary breakfast is very tasty and fresh, light and healthy -- eggs, lots of fruit, cheese, olives, and specialty French toasts/boreks.

Room Tip: If you want a cave room, you should specifically check if one is available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sara M
Manavgat, Turkey
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was many times in this hotel were you can find a very good famyliar atmosphere. Barbara and Kemal became good friends. From arriving you feel yourself "at home". Barbara can give you all information about the whole Kapadokya and Kemal makes very good food.
I'm Always happy when I can go back there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends