“From tense to total reaxing, total service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of SOS Cave Hotel

SOS Cave Hotel
Ranked #14 of 69 Hotels in Goreme
Terlingua, Texas
“From tense to total reaxing, total service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Goreme came at a time in a summer trip over three countries when we needed to experience calmness, real culture and a small hotel with a clear understanding of what guest means.
When we arrived at the hotel we were met by a staff and for the next five days he never failed to make sure all our needs were met. It seemed no matter what time we got up or came in, Vulcan was there and knew what we needed.
When they recommended a place to eat, it was always local, delicious and gave us the true flavor of this region of Turkey,
The room was a 'cave room". It was spacious, quiet, comfortable without the noise of A/C. Whatever the temperature outside, the cave was always the same. Sheets crisp and clean, beds super comfortable.
Breakfast was local cuisine to rival any 5 star hotel kitchen anywhere.
Excellent accommodations.
The real excellence of SOS is not the rooms, or the view (Amazing!!!) but the people. We felt like family, were treated like family.
They were perfect in their arrangements for travel. events, hiking whatever.
When I return to this area, I will always stay here. I will be sure all my traveling friends experience this quiet jewel.

Room Tip: Ask for a cave room. Just remember, it really is a cave. You must like very quiet rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I can't begin to describe my experience in Goreme, in particular, this hotel. It is not a hotel it is more like a home, with such warm, good hearted people. The moment you step in you're welcomed like a old friend.
When I initially arrived I had a terrible time getting here (my fault I tried to arrange for transportation on my own). In the process, I lost my camera with all my photos from istanbul. I told one of the managers (Volkan) and he immediately started making calls, for almost half an hour, place to place. I could not believe how much he cared about a stranger and my experience. That won me over right there. They then invited me to share their lunch at their own table! I met the rest of the family and the owners Musa and Sinan, all of whom made me feel so welcomed. Nothing is ever a problem for them, willing to help and go above and beyond in everywhere. I have travelled all over europe dozens of hotels, bed and breakfasts, nothing comes close to this place. Okay as for the physical hotel:

Patio: incredible view at breakfast probably the best in all of Goreme. Breakfast included freshly made fresh, gozleme (traditional stuffed crepe), honey, fresh fruits, eggs, fresh baked bread, olives, and cereals, cakes for those who are home sick. I even was invited to make my own gozleme, no where else will you get this kind of atmosphere/opportunity.

Room: Extremely clean, housekeeping/towels changed daily,my room had a terrace balcony attached to it. When you wake up at around 5:30am-6am you can see the hot air balloons, pretty much can touch them, they are that close.

They also arrange everything for you in terms of tours, activities, recommend and even take you to their favourite restaurants. We're talking the real turkey, not just the typical tourist fare.

If you're in Goreme, this is the only place worth staying at. I already have planned my next trip back. Yes, the area is beautiful but it's the culture, how I was treated by the people that is why I am coming back to Goreme, to SOS Hotel :) Thank you soo much Musa, Volkan, Sinan, Kemal and Taner. You are such amazing people and I hope to see you very soon.

Amira

Room Tip: Room 304 was incredible view but almost all the rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

The stay was above anything that could be expected. The staff was friendly from beginning to end and drove us to the bus stop at the end of our stay. The breakfast was delicious and the recommendation for dinner was perfect. The sunset was as good as you will get in Cappadoccia. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay. Rooms were clean only negative was we only stayed one night. Definately recommend.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew B
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our stay at S.O.S. hotel was just great. All staff was very nıce and helpful and always willing to provide good service. Breakfast was unbeatable and view from the terrace stunning. In the morning you can even watch balloons flying over your head.
Overall we can really recommend staying at S.O.S. cave hotel for your holiday. We had great time there and would definitely come back again. There was no problem at all. Thank you, Volkan and others:-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbora-Sandra
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Great stay at a very nice and affordable hotel!! The cave rooms are very nice and a good Temperature out of the sun. The patio is an amazing setting for an afternoon/evening drink in the sun. Volakn is extremely helpful and helped us out with the hot air ballooning and other things, including dropping us around Goreme. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MathewClose
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Our stay in July was memorable for many reasons, Some quick opening examples of the fine service we enjoyed is as follows -
We arrived on the day of our daugters birthday - SOS staff without anything other than a casual mention of it by us, arranged a magnificent, nicely decorated cake complete with piped "Happy Birthday" & her name.

I left my Ereader on the bus when we arrived in Goreme, staff happily rang & arranged it's return from the bus company when the bus next returned to Goreme in 3 days time (after my ereader visited the Black Sea without me!)

Unbelieveably this coincided with me later the same day of it's return, leaving it again on a bus as we departed for Istanbul, Musa the owner/ Manager then arranged for it to be found, & sent on to our hotel in Istanbul for me to happily & greatfully pay the freight of upon receipt!!.He also rung us to ensure it was received OK.

SOS review generally-

I was mildy wondering how we would occupy ourselves for 4-5 days on our intial arrival in Goreme, a bit of sightseeing, balloon trip & then what??

We settled into the SOS "bus lagged" on our arrival after a friendly welcome from all staff we encountered, happy with the facilities of the cave room, then sat and enjoyed the awesome 270plus degree view from the terrace of the "Fairy Chimney's" and I pondered the above.

The staff & Musa in paticular were happy to sit & chat with us for as long as we wished, whilst keeping an attentive eye on any other guest needs that arose.

We indicated to Musa that a balloon trip was on our wishlist & were happily reccomended to use Atmosfer baloons with an additional discount for SOS guests - the trip with Atmosfer was awesome - complete with a pinpoint landing of our basket upon the trailer - no lifting & loading required!!!

As we also explained our wish to absorb in greater detail sights & life in & around Cappadocia other then the stock tours, Musa offered himself to us as a private guide for a day trip, we encountered many "off the beaten track" sights & experiences. A cave home still fitted out with furnishings as in everyday life with a small shop & balcony to sit & enjoy a drink or food upon.

A village where the ladies (6 of them) were doing the weekly bread bake on a massive wood oven that we watched, bought some of the lovely bread & enjoyed with our Turkish lunch at a nearby restaraunt with awesome fresh lentil soup, kebabs, casserole,olives, cheeses, tomatoe etc.
A ceramics factory guided tour, Mulberry picking, Apricot tasting where ever we went as Musa grew up on an apricot farm & was keenly interested in apricot comparisons to his own that he is marketing dried. Carpet purchasing direct from a local wholesaler, out of the way cave churches & a recently discovered (30 yrs!) small Roman City with amazing intact mosaics that is under archealogical dig at the moment still.

A home cooked BBQ on our last night there with staff that was very very nice.

The staff in our opinion went above & beyond our expectations, treated us more like family, chatted like friends for as long as we wished, respected our privacy if we were tired, it felt more like a homestay or pension type hospitality than a typical hotel.

We were mildy surprised during on our arrival, that there is no official evening or lunch sevice promoted or on offer in the hotel, however as we found out if you were to arrive late in the evening, ask for, or just hanging around staff would happily share their own self cooked dinner meal with you or as upon our last night be invited to share an evening terrace BBQ instead of a 5-8 minute walk down the street to a restaraunt.

Our stay in SOS cave hotel was fantastic, we woud happily return anytime & would reccomend it to anyone as it caters very well to the varied types of guest they host from all over the world as staff have a host of languages they are either proficient in or learning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bbear1964
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

The SOS Cave Hotel has everything I needed for a wonderful visit to the Cappadocia region. The entire village of Goreme is walkable from the hotel, but it is on the peaceful and quiet edge of town. It takes 2 minutes to get to the Pigeon Valley trail, and the Open Air Museum is also close. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The view from the terrace where breakfast is served is gorgeous, and you can sit on the terrace any time to enjoy a book or the company of other travelers. Musa, Sinan, and Vulcan take very good care of their guests, providing wise recommendations for tours, food, and activities in the area. They clearly wanted us to see how wonderful the region is and to make sure our stay was comfortable. Breakfast is served and was delicious every day. One afternoon while I was on the terrace, they served us baklava and ice cream just to show the wonderful food and hospitality that Turkey has to offer. I will definitely stay there again when I visit Turkey.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo