“Plumbing problem in the hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guven Cave Hotel

Guven Cave Hotel
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Goreme
Chicago
“Plumbing problem in the hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel 2 nights, May 23 to May 25. Reading other reviews I get the impression that we and other reviewers stayed in different hotels. Yet the address is correct and the owner’s name is indeed Mustafa, although the owner’s name is not a distinctive feature - he himself told us that he once was in a group of 12 Mustafa’s at the same time.
Some other things in recent reviews that we experienced too are:
- The owner and his staff are very friendly and willing to help. They are knowledgeable in Goreme matters and give solid advice.
- Rooms are clean and serviced every day
- The view from the balcony is good, especially at night
- The hotel is air-conditioned.
However, most reviews neglect to mention the rooms and amenities of the hotel. So I’ll start with the least of all problems of this small place which is that it can by no means justify the 2* hotel designation. This little family operation is a B&B inn with no amenities whatsoever. However, I wouldn’t mention this at all if not for other much bigger problem – there is a serious plumbing problem in many (if not all) rooms of the hotel.

We (my wife and I) stayed in 3 rooms in the hotel and our friends stayed in the fourth room. All 4 rooms had common problem but to a different extent – bathroom in all 4 rooms smelled sewage.

Let me explain how in 2 nights we managed to stay in 3 rooms: on the day of our arrival we checked in and were given an OK looking room on the 3rd floor. We noticed that all doors and windows in the room and in the bathroom were open. It was a hot day and air-conditioning was off, so we decided that management tried to save few bucks using natural breeze to cool the rooms. The room looked OK, so we changed, left our luggage and went on with our tour program. Of course we locked/closed all doors and windows. We came back late at night after whirling dervishes show at Sarihani caravanserai. When we opened the door into the room it was heavily stinking sewage. We demanded the room change and were told that it is not possible. The younger Mustafa attending that night told us that he cannot give us another room without owner’s permission and since it was too late, this only could be done in the morning. He opened all windows and doors for about 15 min and then sprinkled air freshener all over. Next morning we demanded a new room, which we were immediately offered. We chose an ensuite cave room and moved. Again doors into the room were open when we moved in. After we took shower we noticed that the bathroom in this room smelled too. Not anywhere near as bad as it was in the other room, but still there was a distinct sewage smell. At that time Mustafa (the owner) came in asking if we were happy with the room which we said we were not, so he offered another room on the 3rd floor. It looked much newer than all other rooms, so we moved again. At that time the room did not smell at all, but then again, doors and windows were open. We did not notice any smell at night when we came back. However, next morning it smelled so very slightly in the bathroom. The smell was not a heavy at all, but it was definitely present.
Our friends told us that they had so very slight sewage smell in their bathroom every morning too. I conclude that something is structurally wrong with the plumbing in the hotel building. The owner is well aware of the problem however he insists that the problem pertains only to one room.

I rarely give hotels low grades, but this time I felt I have to do so.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelingWithFriends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. This place was clean and very close to the town. Above all things, The hotel staff is really good people and accommodating with its guests. if you choose to stay the Guven Cave Hotel you will never forget the cappadocia.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Antalya, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

My 2 days of stay in Cappadocia was great! Though it was such a short stay for lots of activities to do, my stay in Guven cave hotel was a big help. It became easier for me because of the help and warm accommodation of the Guven team. They welcomed me like a family and that is just what a first timer like me needed in this magical and wonderful place .... Cappadoccia.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

very good hotel breakfast great landscape and a great.. Thank you ... for everything warm and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

A wonderful hotel in the heart of Goreme. It is run by a fantastic group of people who will go out of their way to ensure you have a comfortable and memorable stay and return with fond memories. Its walking distance from the Ottogar. However if you are coming from the airport you can pre book a shuttle for about 25 TL by confirming your flight details to Isa or Mustafa -partners who run this place.Our check in was quick and smooth. They have cave rooms( one actually feels as if sleeping in a cave) and arch rooms and modern rooms-which come with A/c.Most of the rooms have attached toilets. However check before booking for your choice. The breakfast is lovely-simple Turkish fare of bread/buns, cheese,pickled olives,eggs,salami and various spreads. The Turkish tea is an added advantage.They dont charge for the tea...
The view from the balcony is lovely and you can see lovely rock formations and if you wake up early you can see the wonderful hot air balloons above you.
Another good thing about the hotel is that the partners will also help you in arranging sight seeing tours . Be it a Balloon tour( must do in Cappadocia), Green Tour( wonderful road trip for the day)or local sight seeing Isa and Mustafa will help you out.You can also take tips on local sightseeing and shopping from them and they will be happy to help.
Cappadocia is a lovely place and staying comfortably and having a trip properly planned only adds to the beauty and helps one relax and rejuvenate.
Go to Guven Cave Hotel for a wonderful and lovely stay

Room Tip: Go for a cave room if you are not claustrophobic else you can choose a modern room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Prasun M
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Guven Cave last week when I visited the magical land of Cappadocia. I have to salute Mustafa, Isa, and Ali for running a hotel committed to customer satisfaction. They put their heart and soul into providng incredible service and for ensuring that you take away nothing but the most postive of memories. I was given lots of valuable advice as to how to maximise my three days in Goreme. The hotel itself is quaint, very clean and located just a five minute walk to the centre of Goreme. I absolutely loved my room (terrace room) and waking up to the sublime view out my window was awesome. I appreciated the little extras, such as the quality of the soap and the mouthwatering, home made orange marmelade served at breakfast. Three days is absolutely not enough if you are a nature buff and avid photographer. I am a seasoned traveller having roughed it in Nepal and having stayed at many 5 star resorts worldwide. My stay at Guven Cave, during my three days in Goreme, ranks in my top 3 travel adventures. A big thank you to the team at Guven Cave for making my Cappadocian adventure a memory that will last for a life time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a fantastic time. The staff were really friendly and so helpful! They sat us down and ran through the things to do and were also great for a chat. They also organised our bus tickets for no cost, and let us wait until our 10pm bus in the common room and have showers. The rooms were also very clean, warm and large. We stayed in a cave room, but in hindsite, I'd probably stay in a modern room, as they had awesome views! Oh and the breakfast was amazing! Great place to stay - really!

Room Tip: I'd probably stay in a modern room, as they had awesome views compared to the cave rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple