We stayed in this hotel 2 nights, May 23 to May 25. Reading other reviews I get the impression that we and other reviewers stayed in different hotels. Yet the address is correct and the owner’s name is indeed Mustafa, although the owner’s name is not a distinctive feature - he himself told us that he once was in a group of 12 Mustafa’s at the same time.
Some other things in recent reviews that we experienced too are:
- The owner and his staff are very friendly and willing to help. They are knowledgeable in Goreme matters and give solid advice.
- Rooms are clean and serviced every day
- The view from the balcony is good, especially at night
- The hotel is air-conditioned.
However, most reviews neglect to mention the rooms and amenities of the hotel. So I’ll start with the least of all problems of this small place which is that it can by no means justify the 2* hotel designation. This little family operation is a B&B inn with no amenities whatsoever. However, I wouldn’t mention this at all if not for other much bigger problem – there is a serious plumbing problem in many (if not all) rooms of the hotel.
We (my wife and I) stayed in 3 rooms in the hotel and our friends stayed in the fourth room. All 4 rooms had common problem but to a different extent – bathroom in all 4 rooms smelled sewage.
Let me explain how in 2 nights we managed to stay in 3 rooms: on the day of our arrival we checked in and were given an OK looking room on the 3rd floor. We noticed that all doors and windows in the room and in the bathroom were open. It was a hot day and air-conditioning was off, so we decided that management tried to save few bucks using natural breeze to cool the rooms. The room looked OK, so we changed, left our luggage and went on with our tour program. Of course we locked/closed all doors and windows. We came back late at night after whirling dervishes show at Sarihani caravanserai. When we opened the door into the room it was heavily stinking sewage. We demanded the room change and were told that it is not possible. The younger Mustafa attending that night told us that he cannot give us another room without owner’s permission and since it was too late, this only could be done in the morning. He opened all windows and doors for about 15 min and then sprinkled air freshener all over. Next morning we demanded a new room, which we were immediately offered. We chose an ensuite cave room and moved. Again doors into the room were open when we moved in. After we took shower we noticed that the bathroom in this room smelled too. Not anywhere near as bad as it was in the other room, but still there was a distinct sewage smell. At that time Mustafa (the owner) came in asking if we were happy with the room which we said we were not, so he offered another room on the 3rd floor. It looked much newer than all other rooms, so we moved again. At that time the room did not smell at all, but then again, doors and windows were open. We did not notice any smell at night when we came back. However, next morning it smelled so very slightly in the bathroom. The smell was not a heavy at all, but it was definitely present.
Our friends told us that they had so very slight sewage smell in their bathroom every morning too. I conclude that something is structurally wrong with the plumbing in the hotel building. The owner is well aware of the problem however he insists that the problem pertains only to one room.
I rarely give hotels low grades, but this time I felt I have to do so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guven Cave Hotel is one of the traditional Cappadician style hotel. The hotel has been hand-crafted with the natural stone of Cappadocia. Goreme Guven Cave Hotel has 9 elegant rooms which includes 3 cave rooms,5 cavestones rooms, and 1 deluxe rooms, as well as a restaurant on top of the hotel on the terrace. All the rooms are beautifully decorated, clean and a cozy place to stay. The restaurant serves turkish style breakfast, lunch and dinner.Visit our restaurant and experience the local Turkish style foods. Our hotel's central heating system allows you to use hot water for 24 hours a day, even in the freezing cold winter! Guven Cave Hotel is located in the central part of Goreme around great restaurants and shopping. We offer an excellent blend of Turkish warmth and hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Guven Cave Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Guven Cave
- Guven Cave Hotel Goreme, Cappadocia, Turkey