“Authentic Kapadokya experience....”
Review of Anatolian Houses

Anatolian Houses
Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Goreme is a beautiful small authentic Turkish village which houses the Kaymakli underground city. This hotel has "seen to be believed" suites carved out in the mountains and caves. I think it is the most expensive cave hotel in Turkey but is a once in a life time experience. General Manager Mr. Tahsin Topuzayak is always on his feet, constantly interacting with guests to understand their needs. They have a beautiful underground spa, so do not miss the opportunity to take a original Turkish "Hamam"!! The crowning glory for me was the brand new Indian restaurant that they have opened, goes by the name of Indian Rasoi.....Chef Vikram was kind enough to make us Khichdii and Pakoda's one evening....

Room Tip: I was lucky to get one of the Presidential suites but all their suites are very high quality.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank DebuSinha
AnatolianHouses_TR, Ön Büro Müdürü at Anatolian Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We're very glad to take these comments.

Hope to welcome you to our hotel again.

With my best regards,

There are newer reviews for Anatolian Houses

Reviewed 8 August 2013

It was an extremely short trip, cut further shot by a delay in flight,,but it was one of the best accomodations in Turkey. My room was atop , opposite the main block in the corner and I had a great view from a couple of chairs placed right next to the door. I had a living room, a bathroom with shower, a jacuzzi and a bedroom - everything was warm and gave a feeling of living inside a cave. The only bummer was that water was not served complimentary .

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is at a higher level, so that you get a great view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. The feedback is very important for us to improve our service. Actually you have a bottle of water free of charge above your minibar on your arrival date. But water in minibar is in charge. Maybe there's a misunderstanding.

Thank you and hope you to come back to our hotel again.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Word on the street was that Anatolian Houses was THE place to stay in Cappadocia. I couldn't have faulted it. Amazing service (they served us breakfast at 4 am so we could go ballooning!) loads of space, in suite spa and sitting rooms. Great food. I was working so needed great wi-fi etc. staff were lovely and not a back-packer in sight.
Underground Hamam is a bargain with real massages! I went back twice in 4 days. Not your usual hotel fodder. The best sleep I'd had my whole trip- it was so cool and calm in the cave house. And walking distance to everything the area has to offer.
I extended my stay (despite my work load) because I didn't want to leave.
It's pretty lush, a great honeymoon/romantic getaway location. It was really very special and a

Room Tip: I took a suite with my boyfriend - but my colleagues seemed to have all the same luxuries (spa, anti...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Annie C
AnatolianHouses_TR, Front Office Manager at Anatolian Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for these excellent review. Taking nice comments makes us really happy.

We hope to welcome you again to our hotel.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The room was okay. It had a cave like atmosphere. The amenities were good. We had a suite with double shower, whirlpool,bath, sitting room and large bedroom.
The breakfast menu was not adequate. Did not enjoy the breakfast. The service was slow. Dinner was not that great either. It is an expensive hotel and not really up to its mark. We had to pay to use the hotel swimming pool.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TaherKarachi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. With these feedbacks we try to improve our service.

We are trying to improve the breakfast. We'd like to welcome you to our hotel again and when you come back, we hope you will be satisfied with the breakfast.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Cappadocia is replete with unusual rock formations and caves carved out of the rock centuries ago. This is a cave hotel with rooms inside the caves. It was spacious and the bathroom was quite modern. It got a bit warm and since there is no air conditioning, we used a fan. The breakfast was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. Goreme is a fun town to walk around, but the highlight of the area is visiting the rock formations, and the open air museum. We had a good guide (Gokhan Yaramis yaramis_gokhan@hotmail.com) who was quite reasonable and very knowledgable about the area and its history, One of us did an early morning balloon ride which is a terrific way to see the valley. However, two days later two ballons collided and several tourists died. Unfortunately, there are a lot of balloon companies sending balloons up at the same time, so in the early morning there are about 100 in the air--very crowded. Unless that gets a bit more regulated with restrictions on the number of balloons that can go up in one area, I would suggest that you think twice before taking the plunge (sorry for the bad choice of words).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlennB650

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We'd like to welcome you again.

With my warm wishes.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed 3 nights in his hotel, occupying 2 rooms.

Our first was a suite, absolutely beautiful cave room with bathroom (large double shower), sitting room/hall and a very large bedroom with whirlpool bath. There is no aircon, but we were not hot at night, and it is fair to say aircon wold have destroyed the aesthetic. Fan was a boon though. The bed was rather hard and my sleep wasn't great - probably having the fan on too loud didn't help.

The second room was a twin, again beautifully done, with a shower etc at h entrance, then up short flights of stairs into the bed room. The metal beds did creak a lot and if one person got up, the other was usually woken - these were the two light sleepers of our party though. No fan sadly.

The configuration of the common parts is a bit confusing, and there are several possible eating areas including a nice terrace with good views over the town of Goreme, and a cave restaurant. There is a tunnel under the road to the rest of the spa and other rooms I think, and another restaurant. Getting service on the terrace wasn't always easy, and herein was the biggest problem - some of the staff just didn't get the idea, and you sit for some time feeling rather stranded and actually have to come looking for someone. My wife sat for 20min at the bar, and nobody came to ask if she wanted anything... Indeed when we arrived all the staff were just sitting in one place chatting near the restaurant, and whilst they got us some food, you just weren't initially sure if they were open or not. One night there was a large group also up on the terrace, and our service suffered and there was just a hint of surliness about it. Others amongst the staff simply could not do enough - the same guy mentioned I think in another report was very helpful to us, but he couldn't be everywhere.

The pool is pretty, but small, and very cold. We were uncertain at first what we could use - there we ads for the spa $48 for one hour of pool, Turkish bath and something else, which looked expensive - perhaps I read it wrong.

It may sound trivial but the single thing that annoyed me the most was water. We were told on arrival it was free, and to simply ask for more - so I did, and was charged TL5 for a 500ml bottle. No larger bottles were available. I don't really mind paying for water, but this was excessive and misleading. Still at the shop down the road I bought 4L for TL6...

The food was pretty good, we ate a couple evening meals at the restaurant, but better food is available a 100m down the road at a third of the cost - we went to Local restaurant which, whilst onimously empty was actually excellent.

It may not sound like it but I liked this hotel. it really is very nicely done and some of the staff were brilliant, it is just they seemed understaffed, and a few of the staff were undertrained or clueless. Checking out the night before we left the next morning (at 5.30am) we were offered a breakfast box - without asking, (Thank you) which was a very large sandwich and apple which helped with hunger pangs later. The high spot was actually that morning when we were treated to a display of hundreds of balloons over Cappadocia.

We loved Cappadocia - it is really worth a visit, and the Anatolian houses hotel is a picturesque and characterful place to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SimonBlahBlah

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. The feedback is very important for us to improve our service.

But if you'd informed us during your stay, we could have a chance to fix these problems. We fixed the bed and there is no problem now. Thank you.

About the staff at restaurant we're really sorry and want to apologise from you. We warned them. Also they will get a training programme next week about the guest relation and service. Thank you for feedback.

Above the minibar every guest receive a bottle of water, some coffee and teabags free of charge on theri arrival. But inside the minibar is in charge. We gave this information on arrival to evert guest.

We'd like to welcome you again to our hotel and i'm sure that you can see that most of the issues will be solved. That's because of feedbacks.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My family and I recently stayed at Anatolian Houses when we visited Goreme for four days. We had a wonderful experience - the staff was very helpful, great facilities (especially the spa!), and a beautiful view. Staff member Kerim Aydogolu made our experience all the better. Make sure you get to know him. He was very dedicated to helping guests and he made us feel very comfortable in a professional manner.

We had no problems, except the heat in our room. Perhaps the cooling system could be better. Everything else was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Seven64

Dear Guest,

We really thank you for your nice comments. Taking these positive feedbacks, make us really happy. About the heat of the room, we use fan inside the room to make it cooler. We don't wanna use aircondition not to spoil the atmosphere of the cave.

We'd like to welcome you again to our hotel.
With my warm wishes.