“Calm. Clean. Scenic ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Goreme
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Calm. Clean. Scenic ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Great hostel. ideally situated for seeing the local sites. Superb breakfast (for the price of the room -included).

Pretty location.

Friendly and helpful staff.

I would highly recommend budget backpackers staying here.

Ideally situated to

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I chose it because of the price but when I arrived there I really felt welcomed, since the guy at the reception was really nice and helpful, never pushing to sell tours or putting pressure to eat at the pension. I liked the fact he was always asking us how we felt in a very friendly way, that always gave me the impression he was genuinely asking information because he did care. The room was really nice and pleasantly larger than what we needed. We could look at the courtyard with the pool from the windows, enjoying a really nice view of the rocks too. The bathroom was ok and clean. The breakfast was included in our stay and we could choose from a variety of options listed on the board in the living room. I've had muesli and fruits with yogurt and it was a pretty big bowl with fresh fruits and jogurt. I loved it!
The atmosphere was nice, and the location perfect for me, the only thing I'd change is the fact that there were not so many travellers there, just a few people, not really talkative that didn't spend their time there making this place even more full of life, but anyway....
Oh, and i'd like to mention the guide of our walking tour. He was terrible. I tried to speak with him several time, but from the beginning he just seemed to be angry or just bothered by our presence and wouldn't be so friendly. That was the only thing i could complain of.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed 4 nights during a motorcycling holiday. I really can't fault it, the the staff were really friendly and welcoming, I got the impression that they enjoyed being able to help with anything I needed. Ahmet met me on arrival and made me feel very welcome. The hotel itself was very clean and had plenty of places to relax including a very welcome swimming pool.
I'll certainly stay here again when I return to Cappadocia, if it suits your budget you should try and stay here before thinking about anywhere else in Goreme.

Room Tip: I had a double en-suite, very nice it was too!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We moved from another hotel in Goreme because we'd heard great things about Rock Valley. The main draw was the pool and the relaxing outside area - surrounded by the famous fairy chimneys and caves. We had a double room which was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great, but it wasn't a buffet which we would have liked, instead you order freshly made eggs/omelet/turkish breakfast/muesli and fruit etc.
The only downside was the unreliable wi-fi but other than that it is a great place :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed at this pension for 5 nights. As soon as I walked in I felt welcomed by the friendly staff. The bathroom and rooms are cleaned daily, breakfast is fine, beds comfy. The pool is great after a days hiking in the sun. There is a table tennis table and heaps of chilled out relaxing areas. Only down side is wifi was a little temperamental. But I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Rock Valley was a great place to stay while in Goreme. Ahmet was really helpful before our stay via email correspondence then on arrival made everything easy. Including help booking balloon tours, the turkish baths and could answer any other questions we had. Was a nice neat and tidy hostel too with a very safe feeling to it.

Great pool and chill out areas out side, just watch out for the bees!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We had 2 rooms next to each other, no aircon but in Cappadocia you don't need it because the night temperature in summer drops to a comfotable level for sleeping.
The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the shower and lavatory were good although there was not enough hot water first thing in the morning, and the instruction not to put used lavatory paper down the toilet but instead into a bin was disgusting and we ignored it and nothing got blocked.
I'd have preferred a buffet breakfast where we chose from options laid out but instead you have to choose set options listed on a board; this leads to waste as you have to leave the bits you don't want, so when we chose the Turkish breakfast I left the black olives and the horrible salty Turkish cheese; while two others in our family left other bits. There is inadequate butter and preserves for the bread provided; BUT I'd still go back there.
It's annoying that you can't pay to use the washing machines yourself - you have to hand in.your washing and they do it and hang if out to dry, however the price of 20TL per load is reasonable. The place would benefit from.a small kitchen area where you could prepare basic food - maybe a few pans, a sink and a couple of hobs - but presumably they feel this would take business away from their restaurant offerings in the pleasant bar area. Their drinks etc. are reasonably priced, and there is plenty of space indoors and out for lounging around in comfort.
The staff are exceptionally helpful and pleasant BUT sorry to mention this but some of them seem not to have heard of deodorant and if you encounter the wrong person in the enclosed office area it honks!
Their suggestions for activities are generally good - eg. their reduced-price voucher for the local hamman BUT avoid the Turkish dance dinner night in Avanos - the food is basic but ok and the free alcohol helps even though Turkish wine is generally vile, however the problem is the atrocious dancing. It's as if they've dragged failed Turkish X-factor fuls off the nearby housing estate. It is excruciatingly bad however drunk you get. The one exception is the belly-dancer who is sheer class.
Despite all this I warmly recommend the pension. Steve Riches, Northampton. UK.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Cappadocia Cave Hotel
Guven Cave Hotel
Guven Cave Hotel
#29 of 68 in Goreme
Diamond of Cappadocia Hotel

Been to Rock Valley Hostel? Share your experiences!