“A little let down......”
Review of Star Cave Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Goreme
Star Cave Hotel
Ranked #28 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Toronto, Canada
“A little let down......”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I have to agree with ArleneandBenj.....the "hotel" needs work, maybe not aesthetically, but in professionalism and good solid management skills. Upon arrival, there was no record of us being booked in to one of the rooms. I specifically asked for either rm 104 or 105 a month previous to our arrival which was 60ytl per night including breakfast....it got sorted since rm 104 was empty anyway so after waiting for it to be cleaned, we moved in. The room was cute, newly renovated and the bathroom quite nice. We too faced the 'hot water' issue since we had a great hot shower the first night, but the morning after and another after that was freezing cold. I also used the provided hairdryer and shorted the electricity EVERYTIME I used it. There was also one night when the lights went on and out again for a good 15 minutes or so. Our bed was also horrible - we could feel the springs in the mattress underneath us and woke up with sore sides each morning. The breakfast was however, delicious (probably the best part) but a little lack in urgency as we felt it cut into our time in the mornings waiting for coffee to be put out for guests or waiting for cups, etc. The owners/management are nice enough - owner, father and a cousin - who run the place and to be honest, it seems like more of a hostel environment than a hotel. Actually to best describe it; its a hostel with hotel rooms and prices.
OH! I almost forgot; the hotel offers internet access in the 'common area' which I had to use to book our final hotel in Istanbul so I was online booking a room when the father saunters over and watches over my shoulder as to what I'm doing on the computer....um, can I have a little privacy, please?? I asked if he needed to use the computer (in a snarky way I might add), he said 'no' and continued standing there for another minute or so and I just ended up logging out and walking away....ok, maybe he was being nosy or maybe trying to learn how to use the "internet" that so many folks are talkin' about these days - either way, a little annoying.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I have just returned from an amazing trip to Turkey and while I was impressed with the service everywhere, Starcave stood out as the best place we stayed by far.

Star Cave is really centrally located so it's easy to get out and about from there. It's a family run business and everyone is super friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

We stayed in a dorm which had a really good ensuite bathroom, bedding and was also centrally heated so the temperature was always really comfortable. The breakfasts were also great, with something different each morning and always delicious.

Though the whole place was great for us it really was the staff who made it, they were fun, helpful and obviously enjoyed having people to stay. I celebrated my 30th birthday while there and the staff definitely made it a day I will never forget.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I felt compelled to write a rebuff to another review on this site, because I have been a recent guest at Star Cave and I could not recognize this hotel in that review.

I have traveled for years as a solo woman and have a new found passion for Turkey. Indeed, have made several trips there, and the hotels, pansyons and hostels that I have stayed at, have been at the very least, satisfactory, But I find Star Cave Hotel to be a gem amoungst them all.

The location is gorgeous, tranquil and captivating, with interesting views and vignettes. It is an easy stroll to the centrum of the wonderful Goreme village.

The owner had recently completed renovations and additions (carving cave rooms out of the hillside!) and showed me around, allowing me to choose my room. Each of the rooms that I saw where so charming, beautifully decorated and unique. With lovely marble bathrooms, nice beds, kilms and special touches to each. I was surprised that there is quite a range of room styles and price points, appealling to the budget traveller as well to the traveller who wants more luxury.

It was such fun to stay in a cave hotel. Trust me, these are no holes in the wall, they are gorgeous rooms and typically evocative of the local cave dwelling designs back hundreds of years.

I felt that with the lovely rooms, hot showers in such nice bathrooms and the very nice breakfast, that this hotel was more than worth the reasonable room rates.

As well I found that the owner and staff were very attentive to my requests and needs as well as attentive and helpful to the other guests who, by the way I did not know and was not travelling with.

Ramzan, the owner ,is a local and has a good knowledge of all of the activities avaliable in the region and is willing to spend alot of time with guests assisting them in travel plans ,upon request.

To address the water and staffing issues, it is very obvious that much of the hot water heating in Turkey is via solar heating and thus in the cloudy winter in Cappedocia it would make sense that hot water heating is a special challenge? I know that the back up systems use coal, which I know has become extremly expensive this year. And to the staffing, well, the previous reviewer's comments were not my experience anywhere in Turkey, let alone at Star Cave. In Star Cave defense, it is off season and the best help is very likely away at University. Dispite worldwide unemployment issues it is a universal issue that good help is hard to find, and I am certain that the owners will correct these issues.

I do not know the background behind the poor review or the events, however I do really like this particular hotel, it stands out in my mind as a very charming place where I was well taken care of and where I would not hesitate to send friends and recommend.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo