“Beautiful hotel with the very best staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Kismet Cave House
Ranked #35 of 66 Hotels in Goreme
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel with the very best staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed three nights here. Goreme itself is very pretty with all the fairy chimneys, and at Kismet Cave, as with many other hotels there, the rooms are hewn from the rocks. This renders them lovely cool havens from the heat (but fire places for the winter), and all attractively but simply furnished. There is a terrace upstairs where breakfast is also served. It is relaxed and friendly, a couple of minutes' walk from the centre of Goreme.

The greatest plus point though is the staff. Faruk and co were always friendly yet unobtrusive. Nothing was too much trouble. For me this included the after care when I stupidly left several favourite items of clothing in the wardrobe. We didn't have enough time left in Turkey from them to be posted to us, nor time to go back for them. I rang Faruk, he asked me to email where we'd be staying for the next few days, and then later he rang me back having sorted it all. My dresses arrived the next day on a coach. A little thing maybe, but it meant a lot to me and Faruk understood that and fixed it all with no fuss at all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

This is a beautiful hotel with a wonderfully friendly staff. At one point the owner drove us in his car to the open air museum. It’s a fairly easy walk from the hotel but it was hot and he was more than happy to do it. The location of the hotel is very close to many restaurants, bars, and shops.

One thing… if you book here make sure you request a “cave room” NOT an “arch room” we paid extra for a “deluxe” room but as I can far as I can tell we ended up with the worst room in the place. This hotel, like many in Goreme, do not have air con which is fine if you’re staying in a cave but the arch rooms are not cave rooms so our room was like an oven. The bed they used prevented the swinging windows from opening all the way so it never really cooled off. Lastly, the arch rooms face the street so what little bit you can open the window allows the frequent roars of motorcycles, cars, and buses that pass by. The owner did offer to change us to a cave room when we questioned him about our room being “deluxe” but it was right when we arrived before we knew about the heat, the non-opening windows, and the noise. In hindsight we should have taken him up on his offer.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank izbraun
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

It's not difficult to understand why The Kismet Cave Hotel is #1 on Tripadvisor. There are probably more beautiful places to stay; hotels that are more pristine, more quiet, have more amenities, but I doubt that any could offer the special welcome and warm attention given by Faruk, the Kismet's charismatic owner.
Things did not start well. Expedia had not communicated a change in our arrival date and the hotel did not have any available rooms until the next night. It was late in the day and I was traveling with a friend and my son and his wife, who was 5 months pregnant. Needless to say, I was very concerned about finding a suitable alternative for our party. Expedia wasn't able to resolve the problem, but Faruk loaded us and our considerable amount of luggage into his van and drove around Goreme until he found a hotel that we were happy with. The next day, while we were sightseeing, he picked up our luggage and brought it back to our rooms at the Kismet.
The hotel is intimate, rustic and charming. Our rooms were large and cool; the beds, very comfortable. The bathrooms were also large, well-appointed with jacuzzi tubs. My son and daughter-in-law's room was right next to the office on the courtyard and tended to be a little noisy, as the table in front of their door was sometimes a gathering place for guests. If you are a light sleeper, you might want a room upstairs or a little further from the hotel entrance.
Attention? Here's an example. When I said that I wanted to dim the light outside our room, Faruk got up on a ladder and took out the bulb.
Breakfast on the rooftop terrace was THE BEST: yogurt, fruits, vegetables and eggs from Faruk's family's farm, raw honey, homemade jams, clotted cream, peasant bread ... everything local and fresh. Were that not enough, there is a small refrigerator near the rooms where guests are encouraged to keep food and beverages We wanted to stay and eat all day, but there is beautiful country to explore and balloon rides to enjoy.
Faruk is a great resource. He knows his community and the region. Don't hesitate to ask for his recommendations for restaurants, travel agencies, balloon rides, rug buying, shopping, sight-seeing. When he realized that my son and I were a little overwhelmed by so many tourists, he directed us to a nearby church cave that we could explore on our own ... when we couldn't find it, he led us to the spot on his motorcycle. Above all, he is just wonderful company and a great ambassador for Turkey. Sukru, his helper, is a bit more reserved, but always available to help out in whatever way is needed. We enjoyed getting to know him over a friendly game of Phase 10.
Kismet Cave is located within walking distance of downtown, so restaurants are nearby.
Faruk, his wife and youngest son, joined us for dinner one evening.
Every afternoon in the neighborhood, just to the left of the hotel, there are a horse and dog that play together. Check it out.
Don't pass up the hot air balloon ride; it's GREAT!
Because of our failed Expedia experience and because I think you will get a better rate, I recommend making reservations directly with the hotel.
It has been two weeks since we returned from Turkey. As I look back over our travels, I have to say that our time at the Kismet feels more like a visit with friends than a hotel stay.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank sfrench3
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

The best place to stay is the "Kismet Cafe" in Goreme. The service is beyond excellence, makes you feel at home. Faruk introduced us to good shopping, restaurants and even took us to a Turkish Bath. His family is very friendly, and they made us feel home away from home. Thank you Faruk & family for your hospitality, I should have written this note a long time ago. Will definetley visit your 'cafe' again. Love from all of us.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank dafferscute
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Was just what I was looking for. I wanted to sleep in a cave, be in a central location, have a fresh local breakfast, transport to and from airport, and have friendly service. All were beyond expectations.
Faruk is a proud native of the area, and provides a personal tour should you so desire. You are best off to let him book tours and attractions for you. Sure he gets a kick-back out of it, but it is in his interest to ensure you are happy (or I'd be giving a crap review right now...). Great guy, and great value. Thanks Faruk, and hope to meet you again - I'll bring the wifey next time. Mike from Toronto.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank mpdman
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

Our stay of 2 nites in Cappadocia,Goreme in Kismet Cave with Faruk was amazing.
It is a magical place,beautiful valleys,rock formations and wonderful hospitality.
This was an experience of a lifetime and where you are drawn back with memory.
The warmth and friendship by Faruk and staff opens heart and mind,will always remember his compassion for guests and a few valuable conversations.

Thank you my good friend,will return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mialope
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

I was traveling for 4 weeks through Europe and the Middle East, staying at mostly 4 and 5 star hotels. Kismet was however the BEST hotel that I stayed at during my entire trip.
Not only was the hotel beautiful and the rooms great, but the people who work there and the owner Faruk were fantastic. They treated us like we were family, showed us around, took us shopping (and he even bargained for us!!!), and took us out to dinner (and would not let us pay!). I have heard that Turks and people in the Middle East are extremely friendly and generous, but this was more than I could have hoped for.
I hope to go back, and when I do I will 100% stay with them!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends