“Rude manager”
Review of Local Cave House

Local Cave House
Ranked #10 of 76 Goreme B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Mehmet is one of the rudest hotel managers I've ever encountered. I should have mentioned that I was writing a book about female solo travelers; perhaps he would have behaved more professionally. There was no heat in my room. The first time I notified the staff, I was told that it would come in a few hours. The second time my room was extremely cold, I went to speak to Mehmet's son -- this was after getting drenched with icy cold water, thanks to a leaky shower head (and hot water that didn't appear after about five minutes of having it run). As I explained the issue with heat and hot water, another traveller also told me that she rarely had hot water, and/or it took a significant amount of time to "appear", and that she didn't have heat in her room. Mehmet's son seemed genuinely concerned. He came to my room, waited until the hot water came, and gave me an extra thick blanket (this was quite dusty; a few moths flew out from its folds). However, the next day, when I AGAIN did not have a warm room, Mehmet started whining (literally). Without so much as glancing up from his computer, to give me the acknowledgement that a customer deserves, no matter what he or she asks for, he complained to ME about having a discussion about the heat/hot water issue with my "friend" (who, I suppose, was the fellow traveler who also communicated her experience with poor delivery of heat and hot water. He also told me I had a "problem with everything, the room!" and suggested that I was trying to instigate something (a guest uprising??) by responding to the other traveler's concern about heat. I suppose Mehmet would have preferred if I had ignored her completely, or disregarded the chilly (literally and figuratively) atmosphere of his hotel. Begrudgingly, he gave me a space heater, which warmed my room very well. Why couldn't he have done this in the first place?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Sonia M
There are newer reviews for Local Cave House

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting Capadoccia for several years and always look forward to my stay at this hotel! Love the cave rooms, the hospitality - it's always like coming home. Harun and Mehmet are welcoming hosts!

The breakfast is good, the pool looks awesome although I've never used it. Please know that there are stairs to get up to the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dianespence
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

It was really magical to sleep in a cave bedroom and swim surrounded by fairy chimneys. Contemporary bathroom, authentic furniture, relaxed peaceful vibe. Awoken only by the sound of 200 hot air balloons overhead every morning, which was an incredible and unforgettable site. Loved every moment.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kknickers
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I read a lot of excellent reviews about this B&B (it is not a hotel anyway) thta I decided to book a suite over there. Nothing bad, relatively clean, Turkish breakfast with limited choice. Nice staff. If you are disabled or an old guy, forget it: steep stairs to reach all rooms. Car to be parked on the street if one of the three available places is free. It is a backpackers venue but if you are looking for a family location you better look to other higher level properties.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank fran07Belgium
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This place feels a lot like being in Fantasy Island. I was greeted at the front of the hotel as I had given them the estimated arrival time. I used a local transfer bus service which was great and I did not need to find the hotel- that is a plus in the area because most caves look like caves. And, most of them are hotels. My room had a pool view, really like the picture you see online. If you wake-up early, you will see the many balloons right before your eyes! I booked a double-room with breakfast; the room was small as they described it and it had a water boiler kettle and bottled-water daily. Also, teas and coffee in case you want to prepare some. The bathroom was very modern and the towels were soft. It works more like a bread and breakfast so bring toiletries. Breakfast was beyond my expectations and it included dry regional fruits, assorted cheeses, olives, breads, tea, juice, yogurt, and more. Front desk and restaurant staff were awesome! Rates unbeatable. Walking to the main street will take you under 3 minutes. And, the hike back to the hotel is not steep at all. Beware that some hotels are in caves up in the top hills; and, you may need a car or great hiking legs. I saw families with children in this hotel, so, I bet the little ones loved the place too. I would not try another hotel after this experience.

Room Tip: Request street level rooms if you cannot climb stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Extraordinarily friendly service. Small cave room, very clean and comfortable with excellent shower. Bottled water and tea in the room.
Wonderful breakfast with many local ingredients -no meat- and nice terrace. You will not be disappointed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had good experience staying at this boutique hotel run by two friendly brothers Mr harpoon and mr. Mehmet
Both of them are very helpful for everything you need to know about Cappadocia.
Mr harpoon even drove us for dinner place since our flight reached late at night and there were only few places open.
The wifi at the hotel works well and the breakfast pretty decent
The housekeeping is ok..
The hotel is close to the Main Street

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Divan Cave House
Grand Cave Suites
Grand Cave Suites
#11 of 78 in Goreme
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia

Been to Local Cave House? Share your experiences!