“Wonderful time in Goreme”
Review of Sultan Cave Suites

Sultan Cave Suites
Ranked #14 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Friends told me to choose Goreme among the cities that you might stay while travelling to Capadocia. I double checked the hint on TripAdvisor where I had found Sultan Caves Hotel as my hotel destination. And it was true. I choosed the right place to stay.

Goreme is a lovely town. A small village where you find a main street with nice restaurants and shops hosted by the usual welcome turkish people. I was travelling with my wife and family and they made us feel at home.

The owner of the hotel was specialy kind with us and made arrengements to my senior father and wife to do a tour by ourselves, stopping whenever we want to. Unfortunately, is was very warm during the day and my father was not feeling very well to do it. Anyway, the owner was helpful and efficient on what he had provided to our trip.

My parents stayed in a most beautiful room, almost 80 square meters of a charming decoration and a balcony with an amazing view of the morning ballons drawing the sky. My wife and I stayed in a wonderful cave room, also large, with a ceiling window giving a an special lighting during the day.

The hotel is very close to the city center. I really apreciate the idea of walking around a city like Goreme, and the hotel has a perfect location to do that so.

The restaurant is also another high point of the hotel. The food is extremely tasting and the charming patio was like a movie scene place. I deeply recommend the hotel. I haven't found anything to say against the hotel hospitality.

They also did arrangements for our balloon flights. And I also recommend the tour.

Room Tip: Be aware that the hotel has many stairs that might be a chalenge for elderly people.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 26 August 2011

My wife and I had booked our trip to Cappadocia late and were worried about hotel availability. We really wanted to stay in a cave room, but most of the hotels in the area were booked up. I sent a quick email off to Sultan Cave Suites praying for availability, and they replied (I think within about 10 minutes) that they in fact did have a room. Additionally, they arranged airport pick in a nice, air-conditioned van.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the genuinely friendly staff and shown to our room immediately. Wow, what a room. We stayed in room 335. Everything about the room was tasteful, comfortable and romantic. It exceeded all of my expectations. The pictures on the website don't do the rooms justice, these places are amazing!

After marveling at the room for a bit, we went back to reception to check in. Mehmet, the owner, greeted us again and talked to us about our travel. Really a genuinely nice person that runs a great hotel. He gave us advice on the different sites in the area, hiking trails, open air museums etc. He is also the owner of Butterfly Balloons, which likewise has a sterling reputation. We were able to arrange our hot air balloon with him. If you come to Cappadocia, YOU MUST take a hot air balloon ride. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

We also made reservations at the excellent on-site restaurant, Seten. If you have been to Çiya in Istanbul, the food is similar, although I found Seten's food to be more to my taste (nice and spicy). I particularly recommend the muhammara (extra spicy çevizli biber), the circassian chicken and the beans and pastirma. The service was top notch and the prices extremely reasonable for the quality of the food and experience.

The complimentary breakfast at the hotel was really great (I am running out of superlatives to describe this place). All of the standard turkish breakfast items were present, but there was also french toast, fresh honeycomb, borek, every dried fruit you could ever want, proper drip coffee (a rarity in Turkey), and generally something new each day.

I give this hotel my highest recommendation for anyone and everyone, but in particular couples looking to celebrate a honeymoon or anniversary (we were on our 3 year anniversary trip). A unique, high quality experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I simply cannot say enough about our great experience in Sultan Cave Suites. This is also one of those hotels that is just as beautiful (or more) as the pictures. We would sit on the terraces and relax and enjoy the views of Cappadocia at different times of the day and evening. After many hours searching on the internet and researching recommendations from friends, we found Sultan Cave Suites. After we saw the good reviews, we decided to book because the place looked so nice and their prices were very competitive for the amenities and the quality of rooms that they offer. Upon arriving, in fact, we discovered that other hotels that were equally priced online were not even close to as nice in person. In addition to the quality and cleanliness of the rooms and facilities, we were also impressed by how kind and professional all of the staff was. They even take you straight to your room and let you get settled in after your journey before checking in. They are able to offer advice for and book any tour that you might need, but they do not push these things upon you. The tours that they offer were of high quality and very reasonable prices.

There is an amazing Anatolian restaurant on site that has deliscious traditional Turkish food. While Turkish "street food" is cheap and tastes great, this restaurant shows how much more there is to Turkish food. At this hotel, you also have access to a beautiful Hammam and pool in the attached hotel. This hammam is much more relaxing and than the tourist traps in Istanbul. You also have access to a small but beautiful swimming pool.

Breakfast was also wonderful and is included with the hotel in traditional Turkish fasion. They not only had the traditional Turkish breakfast of tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, bread, and olives, they also had pastries, borek, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and cereals. Coffee and Chai were also good. You can also eat out on their terraces overlooking Cappadocia.

It feels odd saying that there were no negative aspects of the hotel . . . but for us, it was true.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, but not all are cave rooms so specify which room you would like in your boo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelteacher84
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We arrived for a six nights stay but ended up staying for nine nights. The King suite (room no. 311) and the Presidential suite were perfect and Mustafa and Mehmet were very helpful in arranging airport transfer and answering questions about Cappadocia. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I spent 6 days in Cappadocia in mid-July, with Sultan Cave Suites as my home base. And I use the word 'Home' deliberately because from the minute I arrived I felt very much at home. Mustafa and Mehmet are relaxed, friendly hosts who are always available to help, chat with and joke with, and they go out of their way to make life easy for their guests. Anything I wanted, they arranged for me - from arrangements for a tour to a last-minute horseback ride in the valley, to rides to & from other villages in the area - no problem!

I was absolutely delighted with my pretty, spacious and cool cave room which provided a welcome respite from the heat outside and the best sleep I had in Turkey. As for the setting - spectacular! I couldn't get enough of the view from the terrace. And the Seten Restaurant more than lived up to its excellent reviews, with delicious food, attentive service, and a thoroughly romantic setting. And in terms of value for money - well, in Canada a completely generic room in a Best Western Hotel or Day's Inn would cost at least 20% more than my charming 'boutique' room at Sultan Cave, and wouldn't include the SC's hospitable perks or the generous & delicious buffet breakfast. So, value? Ohhhh yes!

Cappadocia is a magical place and one that I hope to return to. And when I do, I hope I'll be able to stay at Sultan Cave Suites again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AvrilVancouver
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We went to Sultan Caves for 3 nights and as soon as we got there we had the impression the hotel was still under construction. Many workers and noise, and a lot of dust.
The cave room itself is beatiful, and only that. The service is very poor.
The main problems we found:
- The rooms don't have air conditioner (and summer in Capadocia is VERY hot). In the cave room the temperatures are a little lower than in a regular room, but it was still very hot. They don't have fan/ventilator neither.
- The rooms don't have a safe, to we had to go out everyday carrying all our money.
- The rooms don't have minibar, so you cannot drink anything cold.
- The rooms don't have TV. The electrical part of the rooms seems unfinished, with cables appearing.
- The cave room has only a little window, on the door side, that leads to an internal patio. Everyone that passes there can see your room, and you can see them, unless you close the window (what makes the room hotter). You don't get much privacy.
- From my room we could hear everything people in the room next door were saying, very clearly. That sometimes was very anoying. They probably could hear us too...
- The shower: once you mix the water to the temperature you like and start taking your bath, the temperature goes from very cold to very hot all the time. I complaint about that and the manager just said that the hotel water system was this way, and there was nothing he could do (he said that in a very rude way).
- Internet connection very bad, we could not connect in the wirelless (don't work in the caves) and with the cable it was very instable. We could'n use it.
- The rooms are far from the recepcion. Acctually, some rooms are outside the hotel. Our room leaded to an internal patio with 2 or 3 other rooms, that goes directly to the street. To go to the recepcion or to eat breakfast you have to walk about 200 m in the street and pass another hotel and then go inside Sultan Caves. Very weird. Also have stairs, so it is not easily accesible for older people, young children or people with disabilities.
- Very small bathroom.
- The room has a phone, but it does only room to room calls. If you want to call home or to a restaurant, you have to go to the recepcion. And when I was there the recepcion phone was not working well, so they could not hear what we were saying, and we had to walk to the recepcion outside the hotel to get simple information.
- Service very poor, seems that they just don't care.

We were in a group of 5 people and we used 2 rooms, and nobody was happy with the hotel. That is a shame, because the hotel has a great potential, thet could make it a much better experience, specially considering we were paying very high price for the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask what the room has before booking it.
13  Thank danid0ll
Hasan-Kabalci, Public Relations Manager at Sultan Cave Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

First of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Sultan Cave Suites as your base in Cappadocia. We see that we have not met your expectations, and since 2011 we have made many improvements addressing some of the issues you have mentioned. We had no control over the then-ongoing construction at our neighbor hotel, but that has also been also completed.
We never advertise non-existent amenities in our rooms. All prospective guests can check our website for details of our rooms with a few professional pictures for each room. Since we are a cave hotel, no two rooms are the same, so we feel the need to show each of our rooms to our guests in detail, and that is how our website is organized.
We have A/C in all of our stone rooms and in some of our cave rooms. We only install A/C to cave rooms when the installation process is not too complicated as we have to also think about the preservation of the caves we inhabit. Also, Cappadocia has very cool nights throughout the year as it has a dry climate and a high elevation at 1100 meters. During the day, we have only 30-45 days of heat in all year (at about 35 degrees celsius max.), and cave rooms do not get very hot as a result of natural insulation provided by their thick walls. In most days, a fan to circulate the air is comforting and we certainly provide fans for our guests if we are asked for one.
Please note that all of our room prices are also posted on our website. You complain that the room prices were "very high", and we do not know how much you paid for the rooms as you booked through a travel agency. However, considering all cave hotels in the vicinity, our room rates are not "very high" as you mentioned. We would advise guests to double check our website for rates if booking our rooms through travel agents to see the rates of our rooms. Contacting us directly for rooms is also a good option as we help our guests over emails to choose best fitting rooms for their needs.

We hope to host you again in the near future for a better experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Sultan Cave Suites Team

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were originally booked in the sister hotel, Kelebek. We had a mix up with dates, which was partly our fault. Hussein, the manager is a really class act. He sorted thing out and ensured this problem did not spoil our trip. We ended up getting 2 rooms at the Sultan Caves which was very lucky for us. We could still use the pool and facilities at Kelebek but had 2 terrific rooms and got to meet Mustafa and Memet. They really made the holiday and have a wonderful way to engage. It is not over the top hospitality but they looked after us so well and the kids really warmed to them. Mustafa droppped us to the open air museum at one stage. The free Apple teas were a hit.

The view has been mentioned often. We enjoyed the balloon trip but did not try and go on long tours in the area.

Sultan Caves was the kids favourite hotel in our 5 week trip through Europe.