“Loved It!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Goreme
Houston, Canada
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Sultan Caves was our first of ten Turkish hotels and our best breakfast by far! The hotel itself is quite beautiful with the terraces and "still life" artistic arrangements in nooks and crannies - a picture at every turn. We were met with sincere hospitality. We were booked for 3 nights, with another 3 at a location further up the valley. Turns out that Google Earth or something had the location wrong - our second location was Koza Caves - right next door! We had booked a larger room at Koza but it was a fair bit more expensive and the breakfast was a couple of levels below the Sultan Caves. The terraces at Sultan mostly face east and those at Koza mostly west, if that might make a difference for you. As we were always walking by, the Sultan staff continued to recognize us and saying hello and they made it clear that we were welcome at their establishment - once you are our guest, you are always our guest - not exactly the quote but close.
Also - best towels - anywhere - and a towel warmer!
As for whether to "do the cave"? Do it. I was hooked with the feeling of snugness, hard but womblike(?), and solid. Fun, funky, great.

Room Tip: We had a small room with a big terrace at the far end and it was fine. The towel warmer was a wee bi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HungryHill72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have to say this is the best place in cappadocia. We went with a group of 16 americans and all wanted to stay in the Sultan Cave suites, unfortunately it was all booked but they helped us book other local places in the area. We were scatted in Mitra (next door), Sultan Cave Suites, Kelebek Cave suites. The staff went ABOVE and beyond anything you would expect from ANY hotel staff. Not to sound pretentious or snobby but I've stayed at hotels from motel 6 to the ritz carlton, four seasons, and etc and the staff at Sultan Cave Suites outperformed any hotel staff I have ever encountered. The Four Season and the Ritz Carlton have nothing on the staff at the Sultan Cave Suites. They helped us book EVERY single excursion, recommended great places to dine, exchanged money, and more. I cant rave how amazing these people were. We definitely caused them a lot of headaches and were extremely demanding/obnoxious americans but they handled it with ease and patience.

Mehmet and Mustafa were the best. We promised them beers but never got a chance to hang out with them. I highly encourage everyone to take a chance to get to know these amazing owners. They speak english extremely well and are the nicest people on this earth. Thanks again for the hospitality and great memories. I will always and forever recommend Sultan Cave Suites.

I highly recommend staying at the Kelebek and Mitra (i think owned by Sultan too but i maybe wrong)

The breakfast was unbeatable!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I could not believe our room when we got there- it was absolutely wonderful. The cave like feel of the rooms, the huge bathroom with hamam, shower, and jacuzzi were amazing. The design of the place was beautifully simple. Amazing views from our room!! Excellent customer service (booked all of our tours with them), and delicious restaurant. Loved this place, would only stay here or their sister hotel (Kelebek) if we went back. The prices for these rooms are unbeatable- and the biggest, most amazing breakfast I have ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

İstanbul can be, well, too tightly wrapped. Driving in Turkey at times is like skiing black diamonds. Staying at Sultan Cave Suites is a bubble bath while nibbling Turkish delight. Our room, #313 was large and well appointed with a fine shower. The staff! The staff are the absolute best. Hassan, Mustafa and the owner Mehmet are there, right there, whenever you need anything, speak excellent English, and are absolutely charming.
The restaurant, Seten,, was delightful enough to keep us at home most every night.
We stayed for five nights in May, 2013, and leave with fond memories of Göreme thanks to this hotel, its staff and excellent restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken C
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Cave temperatures stay fairly constant throughout the year and so no air-con is needed though during our stay there were a couple of times when we’d have preferred it warmer. I had expected bugs, being underground, but saw none! Our cave was nicely appointed though the bathroom was too dark to shave satisfactorily. Beds were comfy and breakfasts excellent!!

Overall, our room 335 wasn’t the best as it was in an annex rather than the main hotel and so we felt a tad cut-off. It was also right beside the cleaners’ store and so was noisy in the mornings, it also had the smallest windows (usually in the front face of the cave) of any of the caves we saw and so needed electric lighting at all times. All the rooms/caves at Sultan Caves have outside space but ours was in a sunken area which seldom got much of the available sun.

We were intrigued by the possibility of staying in a cave and having done so feel that it’s an experience worth having. I would certainly stay at this hotel again as I loved Goreme, but I think I’d go for an ordinary room on an upper level next time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Fantastic experience all around at this wonderful hotel. I really enjoyed my stay and would absolutely come back for another visit. Two thumbs up, five stars, and a bowl of cherries, too!

Room: The room was huge, clean, and well-appointed. The suite had a large sitting room with a fireplace, a pristine bathroom with a walk in shower and a towel rack, and a gigantic bedroom with a king-sized bed, vanity set, storage space, and linen cupboards. It was a great space with lots of included stuff, yummy toiletries, and even a little loofah thingee provided. The floors in the bathroom were even heated! At night, it was so quiet, and I slept beautifully. Lovely stay.

Free breakfast: Super good value. Of course it's a good value b/c it's free, but on top of that, the items provided were numerous and delicious. A big selection of breads, cheeses, hot eggs, hard boiled eggs, dried fruits, cereals, nuts, fresh fruits, and a bunch of things to spread on them.

Staff: So amazing. They were super friendly about everything and always helpful. For example, I seriously went through a box of matches on my own as I tried to start a fire in my fireplace. Finally, I decided to ask Mustafa if he could help me, and he swung by and helped me with no problems at all. Another example - I arrived around 11:15AM-ish, and when Mustafa found out I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, he went down and made sure I could still grab some food even though breakfast ends at 11AM. Another example - I wanted to visit the Goreme Open Air Museum, and they even drove me up to the museum (no charge!).

Location: Wow, well...it's up the hill (hello, cardio!), but it's still walkable to the general Goreme area.

Seriously, I've stayed in some pretty fandamntastic places all over the world, and this hotel ranks up there with them. On top of that, the price is DEFINITELY right. Under 100 Euros for a suite??? Wow. WOW. If you're a solo traveler, then book directly with them via email and you'll be able to get a discounted rate. Additionally, if you pay with cash, you get another discount. So awesome.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
South-Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Sultan Cave Hotel is just a extra bonus in the fairytale region. From arriving to leaving the owner and staff are super helpful and friendly. The rooms are perfect and the view breathtaking. The breakfast is delicious and the restaurant the best in the region. When we return this will be our place to stay..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple