“Neat Hotel and Friendly Staff”
Review of Sultan Cave Suites

Sultan Cave Suites
Ranked #17 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Norwalk, CT
“Neat Hotel and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

One of the coolest hotels that we've stayed in. The entire city is really picturesque and charming. We splurged for a cave room, junior suite (it was actually a complimentary upgrade since we were on their off-season and it was noted for our honeymoon). We were also given complimentary access to the hamam (Turkish bath) and spa. It was very nice, modern take on a Turkish bath. Their restaurant was very good and sourced local food. Musafta, hotel manager, was very hospitable and accommodating. He helped arrange several tours, offered a 10% off their restaurant, and advice on things to do in the area.

Room Tip: Opt to stay in a cave room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kal818

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I really liked the Sultan Cave Suites. The staff were great and my room was comfy. It was cool to live in a cave, and there was a fireplace as well. The breakfasts were also really good! Oh - and the view of Cappadocia was amazing! I loved being on the balcony and terraces and looking out at the city. My only advice though would be not to pick room 308 if you like a roomy bathroom. My bathroom was tiny and I hit my arm on the door going in and out a million times. From the pictures, I think other rooms might be better. Having said that, I still liked my room and thought the hotel was awesome!!!

Room Tip: Room 308 has a very small bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Sultan Caves was our first of ten Turkish hotels and our best breakfast by far! The hotel itself is quite beautiful with the terraces and "still life" artistic arrangements in nooks and crannies - a picture at every turn. We were met with sincere hospitality. We were booked for 3 nights, with another 3 at a location further up the valley. Turns out that Google Earth or something had the location wrong - our second location was Koza Caves - right next door! We had booked a larger room at Koza but it was a fair bit more expensive and the breakfast was a couple of levels below the Sultan Caves. The terraces at Sultan mostly face east and those at Koza mostly west, if that might make a difference for you. As we were always walking by, the Sultan staff continued to recognize us and saying hello and they made it clear that we were welcome at their establishment - once you are our guest, you are always our guest - not exactly the quote but close.
Also - best towels - anywhere - and a towel warmer!
As for whether to "do the cave"? Do it. I was hooked with the feeling of snugness, hard but womblike(?), and solid. Fun, funky, great.

Room Tip: We had a small room with a big terrace at the far end and it was fine. The towel warmer was a wee bi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HungryHill72
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have to say this is the best place in cappadocia. We went with a group of 16 americans and all wanted to stay in the Sultan Cave suites, unfortunately it was all booked but they helped us book other local places in the area. We were scatted in Mitra (next door), Sultan Cave Suites, Kelebek Cave suites. The staff went ABOVE and beyond anything you would expect from ANY hotel staff. Not to sound pretentious or snobby but I've stayed at hotels from motel 6 to the ritz carlton, four seasons, and etc and the staff at Sultan Cave Suites outperformed any hotel staff I have ever encountered. The Four Season and the Ritz Carlton have nothing on the staff at the Sultan Cave Suites. They helped us book EVERY single excursion, recommended great places to dine, exchanged money, and more. I cant rave how amazing these people were. We definitely caused them a lot of headaches and were extremely demanding/obnoxious americans but they handled it with ease and patience.

Mehmet and Mustafa were the best. We promised them beers but never got a chance to hang out with them. I highly encourage everyone to take a chance to get to know these amazing owners. They speak english extremely well and are the nicest people on this earth. Thanks again for the hospitality and great memories. I will always and forever recommend Sultan Cave Suites.

I highly recommend staying at the Kelebek and Mitra (i think owned by Sultan too but i maybe wrong)

The breakfast was unbeatable!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I could not believe our room when we got there- it was absolutely wonderful. The cave like feel of the rooms, the huge bathroom with hamam, shower, and jacuzzi were amazing. The design of the place was beautifully simple. Amazing views from our room!! Excellent customer service (booked all of our tours with them), and delicious restaurant. Loved this place, would only stay here or their sister hotel (Kelebek) if we went back. The prices for these rooms are unbeatable- and the biggest, most amazing breakfast I have ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 12 May 2013

İstanbul can be, well, too tightly wrapped. Driving in Turkey at times is like skiing black diamonds. Staying at Sultan Cave Suites is a bubble bath while nibbling Turkish delight. Our room, #313 was large and well appointed with a fine shower. The staff! The staff are the absolute best. Hassan, Mustafa and the owner Mehmet are there, right there, whenever you need anything, speak excellent English, and are absolutely charming.
The restaurant, Seten,, was delightful enough to keep us at home most every night.
We stayed for five nights in May, 2013, and leave with fond memories of Göreme thanks to this hotel, its staff and excellent restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken C
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Cave temperatures stay fairly constant throughout the year and so no air-con is needed though during our stay there were a couple of times when we’d have preferred it warmer. I had expected bugs, being underground, but saw none! Our cave was nicely appointed though the bathroom was too dark to shave satisfactorily. Beds were comfy and breakfasts excellent!!

Overall, our room 335 wasn’t the best as it was in an annex rather than the main hotel and so we felt a tad cut-off. It was also right beside the cleaners’ store and so was noisy in the mornings, it also had the smallest windows (usually in the front face of the cave) of any of the caves we saw and so needed electric lighting at all times. All the rooms/caves at Sultan Caves have outside space but ours was in a sunken area which seldom got much of the available sun.

We were intrigued by the possibility of staying in a cave and having done so feel that it’s an experience worth having. I would certainly stay at this hotel again as I loved Goreme, but I think I’d go for an ordinary room on an upper level next time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Grand Cave Suites
Grand Cave Suites
#11 of 77 in Goreme
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia

Been to Sultan Cave Suites? Share your experiences!