“"Caravan Saral"”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$133.88*
and up
Full-Day Cappadocia Tour with Kaymakli Underground City and Traditional Villages
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We did this as a side trip from our tour. The whirling dervishes did seem to be a true religious exercise. It was a positive cultural experience for us. We paid our guide who then paid the attraction. We don't know what his cut was.

1  Thank JohnWard2013
There are newer reviews for Saruhan Exhibition and Culture Center

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were in Turkey with motorhome, we decided to visit this saray because we heard it is restored perfectly and in deed it is. We also visited the show and it is interesting but only once. By my opinion when you see one of those shows that is it. In front of saray there is a big flat parking and we were alowed to stay there over night. The personal is very nice and they visited us and we had long talk and some drinks. If you find yourself in that part of Turkey at least visit the building and admire the arhitecture and have a nice cup of tea.

1  Thank Bob O
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Saruhan Caravanserai is a well-preserved 13th century caravanserai which, of course, was on the Silk Road. It is near Urgup in Cappadocia. We attended a Whirling Dervish ceremony there and it was really wonderful. The ceremony lasted 50 minutes, although it seemed like it was on 15-20 minutes. The dancers and musicians were fine and the setting and atmosphere were really amazing. After the ceremony they did a few minutes more so pictures could be taken. I believe the dancers and musicians all come from Konya and are only there for a week or so before being replaced. I didn't have particularly high expectations for the ceremony but, in fact, enjoyed it very much. Looking at some of the other reviews, that are not at all consistent with our experience, I wonder if the same high quality dancers/musicians may not always be there?

After the ceremony the audience adjourned into the open air part of the caravanserai where tea was served and a brief audiovisual presentation, concerning Cappadocia history/culture, was presented, against the side of the inner wall.

The is a small gift shop near the entrance that had good quality items relating to the dervishes.

Given our experience I would highly recommend this experience.

1  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We went to the show and I must say I was disappointed. It seems that this is trudged through for tourists whilst it may show the ceremony it lacked atmosphere. Also whilst we were told of the show and we went as a couple rather than an organised tour which it appears that this is set up for we were moved to another section as some areas appear to be reserved ( though not signed as such) for the various tours.
Whilst we paid the usual 25 euro for the show I would give it a miss in the future.

1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I visited the Saruhan cervanserai and it was a waste of time and money. Very touristic show, I couldn't see all the stage and the musicians were hidden behind a column. I visited the whirling dervishes in Konya, and that was an amazing experience.