“Great store”

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great store”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Visited Carpetium during a recent trip of Turkey. They hosted our group, put on a wonderful exhibition of carpet making and showed us an excellent collection of Turkish carpets. While their prices we most certainly not the lowest, their business model was sound and the carpets we purchased were authentic.

4 Thank 288sojourn

Stuart, Florida
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Great education in art of rug making”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Our private tour guide took us here for a magnificent lunch at $10 euro each. We then had a private tour and saw students weaving different rugs, and the silkworm process. We were offered a glass of wine while we were shown samples of rugs. We did not feel pressure to buy, and really enjoyed the whole experience.

2 Thank Stmirli
GM
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice presentation, questionable follow-through”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We bought 3 carpets from this place so apparently we were impressed with the idea of the school and preserving this craft. However, once I computed the assured 40% discount, we found it to be closer to 30%. We had bought one of the carpets for my sister, but when she found out the price, she renegged and we asked for a refund. No, not possible, they said, because it was all done and on the way. Not true. No rug arrived for ages and then sent to her, though they said it would be sent to our address. More problems, since it arrived damaged. They promised us $750 refund and it never appeared on our credit card. Now they have stopped communicating with us. I am now questioning our guide's ethics, a man I thought did a superb job. Apparently the guides pick the stops and of course, most likely get a stipend for bringing people there. I am disappointed tho I like the carpets very much, but believe they are quite over-priced. I would be very hesitant about buying from this group. p.s. We got no free lunch, we paid for it.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank 440Glen
Toronto, Canada
316 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 456 helpful votes
“I am stunned”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We visited this outlet during a tour of Cappadocia organized by Gate1 Travel, We were told that it was an outlet for a large cooperative in the region. We were given a brilliant lecture by a very convincing and fluent executive and shown the staff in action. During a display of what looked to be beautiful carpet covering a large price-range, shapes, origins, and sizes, we were offered a range of beverages and substantial snacks that represented our "free lunch" of the day. Many in our group made purchases, although my wife and I did not. It will be interesting to learn of their subsequent experiences.

1 Thank davidgoldberg1
Tauranga, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Carpetium Turkey”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We too were taken to this carpet factory and given the spiel that it was to help the local carpet makers etc etc. We purchased a rug in May 2013 and asked that it be sent to our home in New Zealand and that it had to arrive in late September or early October. To date nothing has arrived and the emails I have sent to the address on the receipt have either not arrived, ignored, or been returned to sender!
So I am warning other trusting tourists and also tour companies, that this firm is not what it portents to be and it is better that you do not take your tours there or that the tourists be very very careful if they want to buy a rug from this company. So at present I am still waiting to received my "genuine Turkish Wool carpet" if it ever arrives!! Needless to say I have heard nothing further from the company.

Visited May 2013