“Elegant dining; delicious, unique food”

Ziggy's Shoppe & Cafe
Ranked #5 of 93 Restaurants in Urgup
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Ziggy Cafe was a wonderful, elegant dining experience, and a real surprise tucked away in this unpretentious little corner of Cappadocia. We visited the restaurant for a late dinner, at our hotel's recommendation (reservations are essential). It was a little bit chilly that night, so we opted to sit inside, which was a great choice, as the dining room was elegant and charming. Each table was set with different chairs, most of them beautiful and antique-looking. Some of the tables had upholstered benches or divans. Ours had charming little regency-style chairs. The decor, artwork, and table settings are very unique --- a good mixture of elegant and playful. The restaurant is named after the owners' dog Ziggy, and whimsical dog accents can be found in subtle places throughout the restaurant, such as the little salt and pepper shakers on the table.
The service was excellent. Many people clearly come here to enjoy wine, but as neither my husband nor I drinks, we only ordered a large bottle of water and were so amused and charmed when the waiter brought out a little colorful Turkish tunic to adorn the bottle of water. What a neat, playful touch!
The atmosphere and service would be enough to bring me back to Ziggy, but it's the food that really knocks it out of the ballpark. This was one of the very best meals we ate in Turkey, and it was a nice break from the standard Turkish fare (although we love that! But it's nice to have at least one night of something different). For our starter we ordered the potato salad, which was absolutely scrumptious. It came tossed in "Ziggy Sauce" that was out of this world. We couldn't stop eating it, and we both agreed they were some of the best potatoes we have ever had in our lives. The Ziggy Sauce is completely addictive and would be tasty on pretty much anything! For my entree, I ordered the Beef Tortellini, which came in a parmesan cream sauce. I don't usually care for tortellini, but this was to-die-for. The flavorful cheese was sprinkled on top, and there was lots of it. The cream sauce was rich, but not overly decadent. It was fabulous and perfectly complemented the delicate tortellini. My husband ordered pasta that came topped with a traditional Cappadocian red sauce, which contained seasoned dried beef. It was truly unique and he loved it. Both plates were beautifully garnished with vegetable "flowers" and other lovely, tasty accoutrements. For dessert, my husband took a break from his usual rice pudding and tried one of the restaurant's special puddings which was flavored with extract of the gum tree. He really liked it!
There is absolutely nothing to fault about this restaurant and plenty to praise. They go above and beyond in service, style, charm, and food. We will definitely be eating at Ziggy again next time we find ourselves in Urgup!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

One of the best meals we had in Turkey.
Cutest restaurant
Very nice staff and owners.

We totally recommend it!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Turkish food becomes a little repetitive, so it was delightful to find Ziggy's. Great alfresco 3 tiered restaurant, with a giftshop attached, with jewellary made by the owner. Our lovely meal was washed down with a Marlborough Sav Blanc. Recommend for a lovely night out

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

In urgup's most beautiful cafe we had the best time: amazing food, amazing views, great people and great art. What a find!!! Just amazing. Don't miss it!!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

i've been in Turkey for the past 11 months and I can say this was THE only best food I have ever eaten all this time. the owners of the place were very helpful and super friendly. we were a big group-18 and we were served on time without any minute of delay the most yummilicious food I've ever tasted so far in Turkey. keep up the good food and keeping the place so cosy, clean and friendly. I will absolutely come for another visit!

1  Thank DianaOhi