“Farouk, a.k.a. the Energizer bunny”

Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Urgup
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Upon arrival after a 12 hr bus from Istanbul the hotel was full but Farouk allowed us to wash up and relax for a bit before heading out for the day. His presence really sets this hotel apart: he is a polyglot, climbs the stairs of the hotel 100+ times a day, and is excited about...everything. The rooms are larger than I expected (being in a cave) and the breakfast is a good start to a day of trekking--the usual fair of tomatoes, olives, cheeses, boiled eggs, some type of pressed meat product, fruits, coffee, juice etc.
The hotel has a family/cozy atmosphere, complete with local children playing out front in the afternoons and wandering in an out of the hotel practically begging to have their pictures taken. It is located less than a five minute walk from the center of town with its many good restaurants (Tera was our favorite) and located on a dead-end-cobbled street. As others have noted, this is not a luxury hotel, but as a base to explore the region it certainly does the trick and the added benefit of great people and spaces for conversation make it highly recommended by this gringo.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
dedelikonak, Owner at Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Thank you for your great review, it did make be laugh to think of Mr Faruk as an "energizer bunny"! We always want the best for our guests and are really happy when we know we have contributed to make their stay a memorable one. I will certainly pass on all your praise to Mr Faruk, I am sure he will appreciate it. I for one am very glad that you enjoyed your stay in our family hotel and that you appreciated the setting.
I do hope you will come and see us again soon,
Best wishes,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is not a luxury hotel, so don't expect it to be. What it is, is a friendly hotel with awesome staff and great food. My room was somewhat spartan (no frills, nowhere comfortable to sit), but, dude, it's carved out of the side of a mountain! What do you expect? There's a great little courtyard/terrace area with seating and Wi-Fi (you may be able to get Wi-Fi in the room, but stone walls are pretty effective at blocking it so enjoy the fresh air instead). I thought the breakfast was good: plenty of variety-- fruit, cheese, meat, borek, etc. Also, I opted to eat at the hotel, and that home-cooked meal was probably the best Turkish meal I had all trip. Overall, this hotel was another thing backpackers Travel did right (they chose the hotel for me).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind review. We always promise to do our best to provide the best service to our guests and make them feel at home and looked-after. You are quite right, we don't pretend to be a luxury hotel, but a family-run, clean and friendly hotel at good value for money. Though we do have a range of rooms from standard to our special honeymoon suite. Thank you for pointing out the lack of comfortable seating in your room. We read our reviews carefully and use them to improve any aspects of our hotel. I hope you'll soon be back will us to see the improvements we have made! And I am very glad you enjoyed your meals, I will be sure to pass on the compliments.
All the best

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We booked our tour package through backpackertravel.com and they have booked us with this Dedeli hotel. We ended up in the Saltan honeymood suite! It has a Jacuzi, shower, sofa. It was really nice. We met the owner of the hotel and his wife, a very nice man. The breakfast was very good also. This hotel is located very close to the center of town with a lot of restaurants and grocery stores, walking distance, less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank runlikeagirl94132
dedelikonak, Owner at Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

How kind of you to take the time to write a review here so soon after getting back - thank you! My wife and I enjoyed very much meeting you and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope you will come and stay with us again, it will be a pleasure to welcome you once more to our hotel.
All our best wishes,

Reviewed 12 May 2012

As long as you know this is a budget hotel and that's what you want, it's ok. The rooms are clean, no frills no amenities. Breakfast is simple and with some fresh fruit, additional cereal and a tea selection, breakfast could be very nice. It is difficult to sleep in on days you don't have a morning tour scheduled because you will hear other guests fooling with the locks on their doors, talking, walking up and down to/from breakfast. It's not a quiet place. The owner is very nice and Ürgüp, the town, is charming.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
dedelikonak, Owner at Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know that you found our hotel clean and good value for money. We provide standard rooms at very good rates and also deluxe rooms for those who want more comfort and are not travelling on a tight budget. I am sorry to hear that you were incovenienced by other guests when you were wanting a lie in, that was unfortunate. I hope you will come to stay with us again and maybe try our deluxe rooms.
Best regards

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed for 2 days at the Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel in Urgup. It was an unique experience and I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the Cappadocia region.
The location of the hotel is charming being in the residential area of Urgup town and one gets a feel of how the locals live when reaching the hotel. The rooms are well furnished and the manager Farukh is ever helpful in ensuring your personal comfort. Be sure to have dinner at least once at the restaurant at the top of the hotel where you will be treated to a delicous meal cooked by his wife. The restaurant located on the top of the hotel also has an amazing view of the surrounding hills and overlooks the city.
The hotel is also a short walk from the city center, where one can sit and enjoy the Baklava with Ice Cream along with Turkish Coffee or Chai.
The hotel is owned by Ibrahim Yilmaz, who also runs a fantastic travel agency based out of Cappadocia. Ibrahim helped me plan our vacation to Turkey and we did not have to worry about anything from the time we landed in Istanbul to the time we reached back at the airport. All local transport, sightseeings, accomodation and local flights were arranged by Ibrahim and his team. He also providing invaluable help when our Kusadasi - Kayseri flight got cancelled at a short notice and rebooked us through alternate airlines.
The Dedeli Konak hotel and Ibrahim's service made our vacation to Cappadocia and the rest of Turkey a truly memorable experience.

Room Tip: Talk to Ibrahim !!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
dedelikonak, Owner at Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel and that everything was perfect for your stay. I always promise to give my best service and it was a pleasure having you as guests in our hotel. I am glad that our arrangements for your Turkey tour made your vacation a memorable experience and I am sure that you take back happy memories to Pune. I hope you will come to visit us again soon and I will be happy to welcome you.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

When we arrived, we were welcomed by a pleasant man and that was the end of our good experience with this hotel. The travel agent had reserved two rooms for us and when we got there the "pleasant man" told us that they had one room for us. After admiting that they had made a mistake, he tried to convince us to stay in the same room, and insisted on showing it to us. When he opened the room's door a terrible smell of insecticide/pesticide/mold came out of the room. We heard that cave hotels rooms smell "different", however, the smell in this one was unbearable. We asked for another hotel and the "pleasant man" called our tour guide who took us to another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank spdaroca

Thank you for writing but, as you said, you did not stay here. Your travel agency unfortunately made a mistake and I can understand that you were disappointed that you could not stay in our hotel but that is not a reason for telling stories that are not true. We immediately made arrangements via your travel agency to find another hotel (which by the way we saw from your review you also did not like) and you were happy to drink tea and cakes which we offered you while you were waiting. I don't understand why you write things about our rooms which you never saw and which we never showed you because we had no availability. As you can see from other reviews from people staying at the same dates as you, they were very happy with their rooms and with our hotel. Sometimes we meet unhappy travelers who are never happy with the hotel or the tour or the guide or anything, I hope you found at least one good thing from your trip to Turkey and are happy to be home.
Regards

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. It is very cozy hotel. The pigeon room we were given had very authentic cave looks and interior. Though the rooms are not excellent but the main plus point of the hotel is friendly and homely atmosphere.

Caretaker Mr. Farooq is very helpful. He will try his best to make you feel at home. During cold and snowy evening he and his wife even cooked for the guests. They specially made vegetarian kebabs for two of us. The food was excellent. Breakfast is basic but delicious.

The owner Mr Ibrahim runs Yuki Tours. He has booked my 10 day tour at Turkey. He was very helpful and cheerful person. The arrangement throught the tour was excellent. The hotels and day tours he booked for me were really good. Unlike some tour operators, no hidden cost involved. All tours included max 20 people.

I will definitely recommend the hotel and Booking tour through him.

Room Tip: Whatever it lacks in decoration is filled in by excellent hospitallity by Mr. Farooq.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
dedelikonak, Owner at Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I appreciate it very much and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do our best to make sure that a visit to Dedeli Konak Cave Hotel is a unique experience and that you will take back happy memories with you.
I am happy to know that you enoyed your tour of Turkey, I always promise to provide my best service. Mr Faruk and everybody here at Dedeli Konak send their greetings and hope to welcome you again in Cappadocia.