“the best of the best”

Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Urgup
Bhubaneswar, India
“the best of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

had a wonderful stay for 2 nights at cave konak. the host Colleen helped me finding the best ballooning experience and helped me to discover the best of Cappadocia region. would definately recommend this hotel to anybody going to Cappadocia. The hotel has a wonderful location near the main market aswell. Breakfast served is great. Terrace views are awesome

Room Tip: rooms in the basement are typical cave like
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. Our guests typically spend just a couple of nights here and we are always willing to help with suggestions of how to see the best of the best in Cappadocia. Being right next to the town center is an added bonus (so handy for everyday needs), and we are so lucky with the spectacular views from our terrace. Love from all of us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is the perfect place to stay for an incredible visit to Urgup! Our room was a beautiful surprise – the amenities, design, lighting, furnishings, cleanliness all created a superb experience, you are surrounded by ancient authenticity, but in the comfort of new luxury! Such attention to detail! Our favorite spot was outside, up above the rooms, on the terrace for breath-taking views for our morning breakfast, and peaceful sitting after dark with all of the lights in the town. Adnan and Colleen were so helpful in guiding us to the right locations for experiencing all of Cappadocia, and then the perfect spot for our dinners in Urgup. You can walk to everything in town. Their hospitality is over the top – They genuinely express care for their guests in every way! The entire staff is attentive and hospitable. I can not think of anything that could be better !

CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks for your “perfect” review! Our central location and the views from our terrace are certainly an advantage for all our guests. But thank you most of all for appreciating the “ancient authenticity” of our restoration. We definitely feel rewarded by your comments :) Wishing you many happy travels…
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

A beautiful ,clean and friendly small hotel.The eastern hospitality and British standard of cleanliness has made this lovely boutique hotel a success .Right next to town center and surrounded by beautiful scenery .The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated ,matching the feel of this area ,beautiful new bathrooms, good and plenty variety for breakfast. There were 16 of us and all the rooms were fantastic. Great for family and friends travelling in a group.Highly recommend it.Thank you Colleen you were amazing helping with all balloon and great tour leader Senam.

Room Tip: The WiFi is not very good but I think this is every where in this area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review, and for your warmth and friendship. We loved having your group stay with us. You made everything easy for us to arrange so your trip ran smoothly. Love to all of you from all of us :)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I would label myself as a city-dweller that I couldn't stop marveling at this 1000 year old cave hotel! Wow. Wow. Wow. At first glance it was nothing spectacular as I stood in front of the hotel's lobby. But the moment I was led into this seemingly small door, leading me by the narrow stony staircase that goes down down down to my bedroom. I was fascinated.

I couldn't believe that I am living in a real cave, underground! oh my gawd.

At first i felt a bit afraid, thoughts of all the ghostly figures swiped my ignorant head.
When I entered the room, everything changed.

The underground-room i had used to be the wine-making kitchen. As i laid on the bed, i looked up gazing into the narrow tunnel window that led up to the window above at ground level. What amazing architecture! It kept the room at cooling temperature, not too cold, and not warm (obviously).

I traced my fingers against the rocky/stony whatever cave wall, and the puny powders trickling down onto the floors... nothing could be more real. I was having a cave-woman experience!

The toilet was beautiful and spacious. Clean. I got all i needed.

The room was spacious too, albeit the ceiling was considered low. But this is a cave! Forget about high ceiling. You aren't here for that.

Bed is comfortable.

There are lights in the room. So don't worry. But don't expect city-hotel kind of grandeur lights. It is just some standard light bulbs in the room. Sufficient.

Windows? No real windows. We were underground. You'd only see air-vent tunnels that leads up to the level ground above.

Heater is not that warmed-up though. If you are afraid of cold, you may have some problems getting it hot. Otherwise, it's cool.

No Television for the city-freaks though. Zero entertainment. Good news is that you have wi-fi!
So turn on your cell-phone. Bring your phone charger, you need it.

Balcony? Of course! Good views. But rendered kind of useless in cold seasons... the winds are too cold at night to have alfresco time. And they don't really have heaters. We did requested for those mobile heaters though... and they were kind enough to provide. But still too cold! Perhaps if you are used to cold weather, it will be fine for you. I'm a singaporean, tropical weather.

Location of hotel? pretty good. Across the street you have many restaurants and shops. A great place to move about!

Read more of my details @ www.facebook.com/Miss.conneckions

Breakfast within hotel? Not fantastic. But you have lots of choice across the road. Why worry?!

Would I recommend? Of course!

CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you so much – I loved reading your review! I even visited your facebook page – especially after your comment about breakfast. I loved your meal photos. As you obviously love food that is not western or middle-eastern style, I have a question for you: What would you recommend we could add to our breakfast spread? You can drop me a line at our info e-mail at cavekonak. Many thanks and love from all of us :)
Vaitape, French Polynesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a bit less than a week in mid-May. The hotel is located at the bottom of a hill in a cave-like structure in the city of Urgup, Cappadocia. It is run by Colleen, a sweet British lady who has been living in the area for years. Colleen was extremely helpful and responsive from the minute I made the booking up until I checked out. The room I stayed in was one of the best hotel rooms I have been in -- the decor is simple yet very authentic, beds are comfy, and the showers, oh my, the showers! The rooms also have an adjacent living room where you can watch TV and sit on a sofa instead of the bed. Some of the other rooms in the hotel seemed to have a private terrace but even if yours doesn't, there is a wonderful public terrace on the roof which you can access anytime with amazing views of caves and the city in general. The breakfast in the hotel features among others the best homemade strawberry jam and orange cake in addition to a delightful Turkish omelette which you can order as part of the breakfast. All tour companies know where the hotel is so don't worry about booking with companies that are in Goreme which is a few kilometers away. Colleen helped me book a tour on my last day (blue tour with Rock Valley -- highly recommended) while I had already booked tours for the other days on my own, which I recommend that people do to avoid paying large sums of money. The only 2 downsides I could think of although I had no problem with either of them -- there are no closets in the room and there is no way you could decrease the temperature although I was told that the temperature is usually consistent inside these caves but I enjoy the cold, so... Highly recommended hotel in a charming little town.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GMR83Z
CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Many thanks for your charming review. We love to help all our guests. We have many that are traveling alone – it is a good idea to contact us in advance of booking as we can arrange a special singles package. Urgup is an appealing little town, still with its local character it has not become touristville, and I’ve always felt safe walking around here even at night. Wishing you many happy travels!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel is located right in the midst of the Market place and this is a big plus.One can just walk across of a meal and a drink .Ours was a genuine Cave room in the basement which my wife loved.The hotel owners are amiable and helpful.
We found that hotel arranged tours through their own travel agency to be very expensive.One felt that travel agents in the neighbourhood had better deals to offer.Perhaps, it makes sense to connect with them before finalising a tour.
In our experience, the flexibilty and fun of a private tour is preferable to a guided tour.We hired a bike and drove more than 100 kms to see the underground cities-the countryside and mountain view was simply spectacular.It was one of the best journeys ever in our travels.Stop by at a small lake by the side of a dam near Urugup-its a spot with barbeque facilities laid out for picnickers. Even a quad or a self driven car is preferable to see all the sightseeing spots in Urugup and Gerome ( just 5 miles away). A private car with driver are available for about 170TL one might want to choose this option if one does not relish driving ! Do not miss out on Cappadocia's astoundingly flavoured mulberries, strawberries and Cherries ! We commend to you to try the excellent food at Sukuro Gullav restaurant in Urugup market.Their Lentil soup is amazing !

Room Tip: Corner rooms are better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Sir, thank you so much for your review. Please let me clarify one thing.

Our small group tours are not the cheapest nor are they the most expensive – but they do visit more places than both cheaper and more expensive tours. We always recommend our guests the best value for money tours, restaurants, etc.

Private tour rates for 4 and more persons are cheaper than many. In addition we work with the best freelance guides of the region, so the quality of our tours is consistently very high.

However I think you are not referring to any of the above, but simply the driver and vehicle hire which we facilitate. The company we recommend for this includes driver’s lunch and all car parking as well as gas in the price, so there are no extra surprises; for all our guests, your happiness and satisfaction comes first. In addition all vehicles we use have the necessary licenses. Guests taking illegal tours can meet a lot of problems.

I remember that you are a financial expert who likes a bargain, but cheap prices are not the whole story. For all the effort we put into bringing historical treasures back to life and the quality we try to retain in hospitality and services, we kindly request your reconsideration.

We are proud to have helped you enjoy Cappadocia and we wish you both many more wonderful travels together.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

What a lovely team at Cake Konak hotel!

The owners Adnan and Colleen are friendly and helpful, with prompt response to our emails and helping us organize day trips (including extra effort to explain the walking trails to us).

Big thanks to the team for making our stay so enjoyable :) and good luck with the expansion project!

Stayed mid-April 2014, 3 nights in the Nakita room.

* Location –
The hotel is in a handy location in Urgup – close to the busstops, two supermarkets nearby, and also many eating places to choose from.

It is also close to a minaret tower, so that was a cultural experience listening to the prayer calls every day ;)

To get to Goreme from the hotel: there is a bus to Avanos every 2 hours - 10 - 12 - 14 - 16 (the return is the odd hour - last bus 5pm). One of the stops on the way is Goreme.

If I remember correctly, a taxi ride from the hotel to Goreme was about TRL 25, while a bus ride TRL 5.

Airport shuttle bus quite handy, as it was drop-off/pick-up from the hotel that Colleen had organized for us. Shuttle bus one way was EUR 10 per person to Nevsehir.

* Room –
Best thing about the room was the amazing double rain shower/massage showers! It really was a bonus after a long day of hiking through the valleys :)

The hotel was very clean and the room interior unique, and not the typical template hotel room set up.

* Breakfast –
The ladies who made the breakfast every morning were lovely and welcoming. It was also great to eat breakfast outside on the balcony in the sun, with a nice view of the surroundings.

CaveKonak, Owner at Hotel Cave Konak, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for such a useful review – what a lot of information! With regard to countryside walks – they are easy in central Cappadocia and the Red Valley path is in my opinion the best of the whole region. We can always help with trail information. Best wishes from all of us at Cave Konak.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urgup
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Kemerhan Cave Suites
Kemerhan Cave Suites
#1 of 66 in Urgup
Perimasali Cave Hotel - Cappadocia

Been to Hotel Cave Konak? Share your experiences!