We stayed in the Yunak Evleri for 8 nights in mid-July 2012, using it as a base for an extended stay in Cappadocia.
The staff is exceptionally friendly and the quality of service is generally high, with a few minor exceptions:
1. Pillows are extremely flat/old. I am usually a two pillow sleeper and needed three here just to barely get close to my normal height that I sleep with. They can definitely use some new, and better quality, pillows.
2. On the rare occasion I wanted to check e-mail, only one of the two laptops they have in their “computer room” was working. Despite numerous requests over four or five days to fix the one that did not work, it was never fixed which meant waiting if others were cued for the remaining laptop. Note: There is free wireless available throughout the common areas of the property if you travel with a pad or laptop or whatever.
Less minor—If, after being out all day touring, you want to eat dinner at the Yunak just for convenience you will pay 25 Euro per person for a four course meal that contains no—or very little—meat of any kind. This is an exorbitant price for roasted or sautéed vegetables, rice, and a bit of cheese… no matter how good it is. Better always to eat at one of the restaurants down in the town center, especially Sömine. Better food, better variety, at a better price.
But I DO recommend the Yunak despite these minor issues. Most people will only be eating breakfast here and then touring for full days, so the best reasons to select this property are as follows:
1. The Yunak itself, and the views from it, are especially beautiful. Sleeping in a cave room is a different and comfortable experience (pillows aside).
2. It is a short, but very steep, walk from the center of the town of Ürgüp where you can enjoy nice walks and great meals and get a better sense of local flavor than in the Yunak.
3. The bus to Neveshir, the town where transfers to all other points in Cappadocia are made, stops directly in front of the Yunak.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Magical Serenity : Yunak Evleri Cappadocia In Cappadocia's magical landscape of fairy chimneys, in the ancient village of Urgup, is a unique cave hotel carved into a mountain cliff, the Yunak Evleri. This hotel includes 7 cave houses, 40 rooms dating back to the 5th and 6th centuries and a 19th century Greek Mansion. Yunak Evleri is an inspiring hotel - an ideal base for exploring Cappadocia's elaborate underground cities, hidden cavernous churches and enchanting rock terrain. A labyrinth of narrow passageways and curved stone stairways lead to unique rooms tastefully decorated in warm traditional style. These exceptional cave houses are renovated and decorated with care and in their own distinct style with strictly respecting the local character. The decor is elegant and personalized with beautiful hand-crafted furnishings and antiques. All rooms have private patios overlooking the Turkish Mesa. With 40 rooms, Yunak Evleri is small enough to be intimate, yet large enough to offer you privacy. Accommodations range from exotic luxury caves to multi-chamber deluxe suites, including family suites. One can find the signs of past times in each room which all have been decorated differently. The elegant decor is prominent wherever you lay your eyes on.Emperador marble floors, handcrafted lace curtains, antique chests and bedside tables, traditional bed covers, old brass bedsteads, old handcrafted writing desks , old kilim carpets and antique lighting have been chosen with care and with simplicity in mind. At the foot of the cliff stands the hotel's main lobby. Housed in a 19th century Greek mansion, the main building exudes a kind of sophisticated charm. Within the stone building, cozy meeting rooms provide a soothing atmosphere for lounging in the evening. Alongside a room with computer and wireless Internet connection, the music room has a wide variety of CDs you can borrow and the TV room is decked out in plush Turkish cushions with a view of the surrounding cliffs. There is a DVD room on the second floor decorated with local handmade pottery accessories, candles, and a lovely furnace. Evenings are characterized by sunset gatherings on soft upholstered Turkish pillows warmed by an outdoor fireplace. Candlelight dining is offered on the adjacent rooftop terrace. We serve local homemade foods for dinner and an open-buffet breakfast. Yunak Evleri opened its doors to its guests in 2000 and since then has hosted around 200,000 travellers from all regions of the world. Listed in various prominent guidebooks' top hotels lists, Yunak Evleri has created a peaceful balance between modern today and traditional past. With its convenient location in the center of Urgup, Yunak Evleri is a perfect base for daily excursions within Cappadocia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Yunak Evleri reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yunak Evleri Urgup
- Yunak Evleri Hotel Urgup
- Yunak Evleri Turkey/Cappadocia - Urgup