“Beautiful building, indifferent staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Selcuklu Evi
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Urgup
Istanbul, Turkey
“Beautiful building, indifferent staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed here with my son and we each had separate rooms. I reserved two "cave rooms' but they only provided one, I got just a regular room and although they did take the time to show many different rooms available none met my reservation criteria. They provided free transport from the airport and I thought this was a great service but they use it as an opportunity to up-sell the tours that they promote. I did book two days of private tours which were very expensive (around 1200 TL). On the first day we were given a tiny car with no air conditioning in the car. This would not have been so bad if this had been a budget tour or they had provided some big discount, but this was not the case. I complained about this after our tour and was promised a better car the next day (after waiting half an hour to speak to the guy that operated the tours). We did get a bigger car the next day but again no air conditioning. July in Capadocia is quite hot and I would think that they would be used to accommodating Western tastes for air conditioning. In my experiences in Turkey subsequent to this trip, I have come to understand that Turks do not only dislike air conditioning they believe it will make them sick so I know there is a difference in how this is perceived as a necessity. If it had only been this one issue I think I could have given the hotel some leniency for not being responsive to a complaint but in addition the wait staff at breakfast all had an attitude, when the manager did show up - which was not when I had an issue - he would strut around the property announcing to everyone he was the manager - not asking customers how their stay was. Several times when I went to the front desk there was no one in attendance and once when we returned from a tour we waited for ten minutes and finally went around the desk and retrieved our own keys. On check out I tried to let the front desk guy know that I had some issues during my stay and he basically laughed at me. The building itself is beautiful which is the only reason I am giving 3 stars. The restoration was well done, the fittings in the bathroom were all of high quality an it was a cute and comfortable room but I do not think I would ever stay or recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MCT672

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

At a cost of 100 euros we had low expectations of this hotel in a small but charming town in Cappadocia. How wrong we were. We were so enchanted with both the region and this remarkable hotel that we stayed another two days and wished we had more time. Built on the edge of the mountain, some of it's ancient rooms carved out of the luffa cliffs, the hotel sits around a courtyard. Enter the wooden gate and you feel at once the calm and serenity of this place. Service was exceptional. If they forgot to add tea or soap they remedied the situation immediately and with no fuss. They were very helpful arranging transfers to and from the airport as well as excursions far and wide. In addition to the usual balloon ride and fairy chimney excursions we recommend the Iglara valley hike (tho note its closer to 45 minutes than 2 hours and avoid at all costs the restaurants in Belirme).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the unpronounceable (to unilingual North Americans) Selcuklu Evi Hotel in Urgup in September of 2011 on the advice of friends who had stayed there two years previously. We could not have expected anything more and could not have been happier with our stay.

The Selcuklu Evi Cave Hotel is a finely restored Seljuk house. From my limited experience (a typical home handyman type of guy who knows which end of a hammer to hold) the renovations were expertly done and spared no expense. Upkeep since the renovation has obviously been done with very high standards in place because the hotel is quite lovely and an enjoyable place to stay while in Cappadocia. The courtyard of the hotel is postcard worthy.

Our room was quite large by European standards (Urgup is in Asia I realize but our trip had taken us through Italy and Greece) with comfortable bed and bedding, beautiful Turkish carpets, a large bathroom with all current amenities. The hotel is wi-fi equipped for those like myself who just had to log-on and see what was happening in the world. Having said that, travel in the Cappadocia region is a great way to get away from the rest of the world and just enjoy.

The hotel is close to a few good restaurants and is only a 10 – 15 minute walk into the town for more exploring and dining opportunities. The town is downhill so the walk back up to the hotel after a large meal in the village might take a few more minutes. Should you wish to stay at the hotel for dinner the restaurant there is very good, offers many local foods and is certainly worth trying out. We took this opportunity to meet other travelers from around the globe.

There is also a winery right around the corner from the hotel should you feel like sampling local vintages.

We always look for cleanliness and value for money when staying in hotels anywhere. Selcuklu Evi is spotlessly clean inside and out and is good value. The last item I must mention are the people: our hosts Halil and Brigitte were most accommodating and welcoming and helped us make tour arrangements that were also top notch and worth every dime (or Turkish lira). The staff were professional yet warm people who we enjoyed getting to know a little bit during our stay and whom I wish we had more time to spend with.

I would highly recommend Selcuklu Evi Hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in this place between 16-20 November 2010. I have searched around for a while and this come out my choice. It has been refurbished kept to the original features and exquisitely designed to reflect the time it was wonderful to see how much time the owners of the place spent to restore to it's glory.
We stayed in Sedirli oda large room with a sitting room area above which gives you a nice view of the garden. Selcuklu Evi is on the hill away from the high street area and has wonderful views of Urgup and near by the wine maker Tursan which you can go tasting where the local wines produced.
There is an open buffet breakfast which was excellent and they make fresh boreks a lady rolls the dough to make it to your preference it was delicios. The buffet has it all fruit, cereals, cooked breakfast and really good value as it included in the price of the room. Dinner also served in the evening open buffet style and you pay for it the food was excellent we ate all four nights of our stay in here.
While you are in Urgup definetly consider taking the balloon flight which we did was an amazing experience seeing all the fairy chimneys from above. There is also a town called Sinasos (Mustafa Pasa) you can take a mini bus don't need to take a tour for it it's only 15 min away; it is an old Greek town with architectureally beautiful buildings old churches and above the hill you can see all the terrain.
We really enjoyed staying in Selcuklu evi and staff was very helpfull, pleasant. If you want to see and stay in a historical mansion BB place I highly recommend to have the experience in Selculu Evi. It was a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sedirli Oda
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We really enjoyed our trip here. The traditional turkish breakfast in the morning was outstanding. Our room was comfortable and romantic. The traditional turkish carpets in the room were stunning, we even bought a few for a very reasonable price before heading home. The front desk went out of their way to be helpful. We arranged two days of private tours with them, well worth the money. Our tourguide was very knowledgable and spoke fluent english. We would love to return here in the future and highly recomend it to others.

Room Tip: the speciality rooms are great!
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our most enjoyable stay in this hotel started when we were warmly greeted by the owners Halil, his wife Brigitte and their son Selim. It was late when we arrived and they offered us some Mesas and wine to satisfy our appetites after a very long day of travel. We thought that this was very thoughtful indeed. The hospitality continued for the duration of our stay Staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing wa ever too much trouble when it came to making our stay a happy one.. We felt so welcome and all our needs taken care of in the best possible way. The hotel is set in a cave and decorated very tastefully. The room was very comfortable and charming . It was especially nice to have a door open up onto a private balcony where we could sit and rest in the mornings or at the end of a long day of sightseeing. Every attention to detail was taken care of and the food was delious! The hotel is also situated within a short walk to the small town. We loved our stay and can highly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

The Staff were very friendly and welcoming,Food excellent and the Sultans room was superb.A wonderful rug shop is also attached to the Hotel and well worth a look,it has a very good reputation with good prices and efficient shipping service.In fact the rugs arrived back in Australia almost the day after we did!!

Would highly recommend to any traveller.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sara m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urgup
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Divan Cave House
Divan Cave House
#9 of 68 in Goreme
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews

Been to Selcuklu Evi? Share your experiences!