“Romantic hideaway”

Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Urgup
Melbourne, Australia
“Romantic hideaway”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A fantastic base from which to explore the local area. Urgup is very pretty and slightly less touristy than neighbouring Goreme. There is a cheap shuttle from Urgup to Goreme. The Urgup hamam (not o be confused with the one in Goreme) is fantastic and a steal. Eren was very helpful in pointing us towards local experiences and organising transport. We decided to do a tour of the local sites (a bit out of character for us) which turned out to be a very convenient way of seeing he sites. On several occasions the staff ran us in to town, which was very generous.

Serinn house was a romantic spot, but would also suit families well. Would definitely stay again and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Deciding where to stay in Cappadocia was difficult. Just narrowing my search down to a city -- when many of the cities possess charm and personality -- was tricky, and then selecting a hotel from a dazzling assortment of properties was an additional challenge.

After spending an entire Sunday afternoon paging through my Lonely Planet, reading traveler reviews and sifting through photos, I finally committed to Serinn House. I don't know what I missed at other properties, but I never regretted my decision to book this one.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
- I received a 25% discount through an i-escape offer
- Eren (the owner) responded quickly to my questions, offered to book a shuttle, provided driving instructions and booked my hot air balloon ride (Butterfly Balloons was excellent)

LOCATION
- Urgup was my favorite city of those I visited. Cute, compact and centrally located
- A 10-minute walk from the region's best restaurant (Ziggy) and a 15-minute walk from the city center
- Con: The property was difficult to find at first due to multiple turn-off choices from the round-about

COMMON AREAS
- Breakfast is served on a deck with a view
- Below, a shaded courtyard provides another area to relax
- Complimentary wi-fi extends to the courtyard
- Parking is easy, close
- The resident dogs (2) will befriend you

ROOMS
- Cool (literally and figuratively) natural and carved stone. Nice, unforced Zen vibe
- The natural setting shows off the contemporary furniture (my room featured a red Ron Arad chair). It's an interesting dichotomy
- Snacks, drinking water, free wi-fi, bottle of wine (part of the i-escape promotion)
- Con: Neighborhood dogs could sometimes be heard barking

SERVICE
- The breakfast buffet table is well-stocked and the staff prepares hot food to order
- Someone is always available to greet you and help (grab your wine from the fridge, provide directions, assist with luggage)
- My rate was further discounted when Eren realized I was traveling solo

VALUE
- You get more than you pay for

Obviously I recommend Serinn House. My time spent researching and agonizing over where to stay in Cappadocia was well-spent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Esme_Travels
singapore
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is awesome. The ultra chic and tasteful deco deserves a place in a designer magazine. The heavenly bed melt away all our tiredness from the day. The even more heavenly breakfast made us look forward to waking up every morning. Eren, the owner, replied to all our questions promptly and patiently even before our arrival. During our stay, she and her wonderful team were obliging to all our requests. They even drove us down the hill for dinner one evening, apparently noticing how tired we were. We stayed in 2 of their rooms, one of which was a cave room (and does not need air-conditioning even in summer, in case anyone was wondering).
Note: this hotel or rather urgup in general is not the place if you are looking for bars and entertainment at your doorstep. But all the tours we booked happily picked us up at our hotel and buses to Goreme are reasonably regular and inexpensive.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I cannot say enough about Serinn. From the first day I contacted Eren about availability via email, until the moment we left Serinn, she was nothing but accomodating and really makes every effort to do whatever she can for you. After I had decided to book a cave room at Serinn for my friends and I, she continued to communicate with me via email, and was like our own personal travel planner. She was able to provide us information about tours that we could take, hot air balloon companies we could book with, and even could help us out with a rental car. We ended having her help us book both a hot air balloon ride, and a tour, which really helped out because it was just one less thing to do.

We arrived in Cappadocia on a late flight, landing around 8:30 pm, and we picked up a rental car and drove out to Serinn. We ended up in the right town, but the GPS couldn't quite find the hotel. So we ended up stopping at another hotel, and they were kind enough to let us call Serinn. So what SErinn do? They told us to wait, came and found us, and then had me I follow them back to Serinn. Now that's service! They helped us unload, and made sure we had everything we needed before settling in for the night.

The next morning, after a good night's sleep, we headed upstairs for breakfast, and what a feast it was! Everything is fresh, home made, and delicious. It isn't the worlds biggest selection, but was more than I could eat in a single meal, and everything was just so good, from the fresh baked pastries, to the made to order eggs. Every morning, they will have something different in store for you. I have to say, breakfast was something we looked forward to every morning.

Another pleasant surprise is how much they offer you! After breakfast, we asked Eren where the closest market was so that we could buy some water, and her immediate response was don't spend your time shopping for things like that! I have plenty of water, and I will give to you. From that moment on, our room was always stocked with more bottles of water than we could drink. She really watches out for you.

Also, she has some great recommendations! She recommended several restaurants, and they were all excellent, even the ones that were in towns an hour away. She also recommended a little hole in the wall jeweler in Ugrup who she said make beautiful jewerly at very affordable prices. We ended up stopping by, and we each ended up buying quite a bit. We liked it so much, we actually went back a second time.

Now, besides the service, the accomodations are great. We stayed in a Cave room, and it was roomy, with a very nice bathroom. Everything was modern, and the beds were comfortable, and the wifi worked great. And one of the great things is that they don't have a lot of rooms, so the place definitely has a family feel. We ended up getting to know a lot of other guests, and it was fun having breakfast with them on the terrace every morning.

Another thing that I'm not sure if they mention or not - but you can do your laundry here too, which is nice if your on the road for awhile.

Room Tip: Cave rooms are really neat to stay in!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bemmybear
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Erin and Gem(I think I keep forgetting his name) were the sweetest hosts, they were incredible!! We felt like we were guests at their home and not a hotel. The rooms were amazing, the breakfast was so good, Erin bakes every morning!! Her blueberry pancakes are to die for. And the local jams, delicious, especially Erin's mom marmalade, she gave me a jar to take back home.Our case was special because I twisted my ankle on the first day (lucky me). They took me to the hospital, drove us eveywhere, made sure we were ok till the day we had to leave. We were very touched by this experience, never have I been treated so well at a hotel, thank you so much Erin and co..

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mimis99
Stuttgart
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Eren made a wonder: the traditional house has been restored with attention to the local material and architecture. However, she did not indulge in traditional Turkish furniture, she upgraded with hip rugs, modern furniture (each room different) and a peaceful atmosphere.
We stayed in the largest room with 3 windows and plenty of space. All the rooms overlook a patio where it is nice to sit for an aperò or a drink. Breakfast is served on the terrace with view (you might be delighted as in learning that there is mokka coffee as in Italy).
The service is very attentive without being intrusive. Eren is a wonderful landlady and takes care of all guests with charme. She is fuent in English and Italian and gave us the feeling to being at home.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed 13 May 2013

If you're going to Cappadocia, plan your trip around being able to get a room in this unique, five-room boutique hotel in Urgup. The same owner of the Evin Elke Cave Hotel across the street, Eren, has gone out on a limb to create a hotel that feels so intimate, you believe from the moment you walk in that this is actually your home away from home. Cem and his family open the gate for you if you arrive late at night (as we did) and show you to your rooms, but don't harass you for your passport if you're exhausted, a relaxed and trusting attitude which is very much appreciated by a weary traveler.

In the morning, you'll wake to stunning views of the Cappadocia landscape and a fresh, organic, local-sourced breakfast that has to be eaten to be believed: fresh cut figs, strawberries and apricots, eggs any way you want, fresh-baked bread (and one morning an apple pie), natural honey dripping from a honeycomb, cheeses, home-made jams and preserves...

The rooms. Carved out of cave rock, decorated by an interior designer, simple, but containing everything you might need during your stay, including water, a hair dryer, toiletries, and paperback novels that other travellers have left behind. The beds. Firm yet soft, clean and welcoming. A courtyard with tables and chairs where you can have tea and play with two sweet dogs who are very friendly. If you want to go on a balloon ride, explore the winery, or just sit still and watch the sunset, everything will be arranged for you at Serinn House, and when it's time for you to go back home, you'll wonder if it was real or all just a beautiful dream.

Room Tip: Any room is equally good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends