“A pleasant stay in an authentic cave”
Review of Assiana House

Assiana House
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Urgup
Old Tappan, NJ
“A pleasant stay in an authentic cave”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We were accommodated here as part of a tour with Package Tours Turkey. The best part was our treatment by the owners, Mevlut and Suna. Suna cooked an excellent dinner and breakfast for us. The room and bath were average. but I think that is what you have to expect when you sleep in a cave. I found the hotel a little remote and would have preferred being in the town of Goreme.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Mevlut and Suna have a wonderful cave hotel at the top of the hill in Urgup. It's got about seven rooms, a great terrace, and a cave dining room with stoves for colder days. They're very accommodating hosts and they put on a great breakfast. Will definitely look them up again when I return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We were with a small tour group. One of our team didn't want to climb the stairs to the top level, so we got an upgraded room. It was nicely decorated and large, with a sitting room. The shower was very large and complicated, and we never quite did figure it out. The staff was friendly and the breakfasts were good. We went to a restaurant that was fairly close and within walking distance. There were a couple good shops with reasonable prices and good merchandise on the way to the restaurant. The hotel would have made us dinner one night, but not at the time that we needed dinner. It sounded like a fun idea to have dinner there and we would have tried it if it worked with our schedule.

Nice view also from the hotel of the surrounding hills etc. Quiet hotel and serene.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank georgierocks
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed one week in Assiana cave house in August with two young children. The room was very very nice and the hosts wonderful. Mevlut and his wife were very kind and help us for everything. The breakfast on the roof terrace is sumptous!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helene C
Montrose, California
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in July (but of 2010). For the first day/night, I was the only guest at the hotel. I arrived very late at night, and the owner's son greeted me and helped me with my bags. The owner, Mevlut, was extremely welcoming as well. He allowed me to use the computer in the office to email my family, letting them know I had arrived safely (I was traveling alone).

The breakfast was AMAZING! The spread was so extravagant considering I was the only guest, and I felt kind of guilty for not eating everything, but it was just impossible, though I did take bread for later.

The cave room was immaculate. It was my favorite hotel in my Turkey trip, so beautiful and unique. I felt like I was a world away.

Which brings me to the hot air balloon ride during my last day there. I was picked up at 4am at the hotel, and when it was time to board the baskets, instead of being crammed in with 15-20 other people, I was moved to a basket with only 5 people. The gentleman who chose me to move said it was because I was a guest at the Assiana House, and Mevlut is, apparently, a very important person in Urgup, so they treated the guests there quite well. Wow. The experience of being in a basket of only 5 people versus 20 was just awesome. I had room to move around to catch different views.

Anyway, staying here made the overall experience in Cappadocia wonderful. I was treated like a VIP.

The only downside is that the hotel is quite a walk from the city center. The walk down was fine, but when I walked back to the hotel, there was a bit of an incline, so it was tiring. Since I was a female walking alone, I did get a little hassled from a driver, but it was never threatening, just a slowing down of the truck, stare, and minor comment in Turkish, and then he drove off. He was probably just being friendly. Still, if you are a female walking back from the city center, make sure there is plenty of day light left.

The relief of arriving back to my cozy room was immense. I didn't want to leave. This was a place where you'd probably rather stay at the hotel and the vicinity rather than venturing far off, though I did take tours to various places in the region. The next time I visit, though, I think I'd just want to sit and take in the scenery.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank wanderingtrtl11
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Quite simply, the Assiana cannot be topped, so look no further!
From the moment I arrived, I was treated royally by Suna, Mevlut and Fatih - they are the reason I will come back to Urgup! It's impossible to find harder-working people committed to your satisfaction.
OK, as for the accommodation itself: he cave room (#7) that I had. Quite possibly the most romantic hotel I've ever seen. The room was cozy, clean and delightfully comfortable...and the views are top-notch.
Bravo, Assiana!

Room Tip: Cave rooms are unforgettable! Do know that there is no wi-fi in the cave rooms, though, the signal...