“excellent family run hotel”
Review of Sunrise Aya Hotel

Sunrise Aya Hotel
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Pamukkale
“excellent family run hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel during my 2 week holiday in Turkey, and it was one of the cleanest and most comfortable rooms I had stayed in for this peice range. The hotel is literally several minutes walk from the entrance of the sites and main street of the town where all the restaurants are located.

The owner and his Japanese wife are very friendly and helpful. I needed help with bus tickets and they were able to pre-book my ticket without me having to visit the offices of the bus company as well as arranged for pick-up to the coach.

After a nice day walking around the sites of Pamukale, the pool was a nice place to relax and cool down.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We decided to take a one day trip from our base in Bodrum to Pamukkale. Booking through booking.com was simple and the hotel was far better than we were expecting for £36 for a triple room. Situated 300m from the travertines, we couldn't be closer, the room was immaculate, shower and AC were perfect. We decided to eat at the hotel because of their friendly welcome, and we knew we were not going to get hassled. Food was simple, very tasty and reasonably priced. If you are visiting Turkey, don't sit by the pool in your apartment, rent a car and see the other things it has to offer, Pamukkale is a must, my heaven on earth.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We arrived in Pamukkale by bus at 5:30am. Sunrise aya was a short stroll from the main bus stop. We were allowed to sleep on the couch near the reception and then given an early check in time of 9am!

After a quick sleep we were given an excellent briefing by Huseyin regarding the best things to do during our stay. He even dropped us off at the top entrance to the terrace baths so that we didnt have to walk.

When we got back from our sight seeing he offered to take us up to his farm and to show us around his town. We jumped at the offer and boy are we glad that we did. Huseyin firstly took us to his house where we we lucky enough to hand feed a 2 day old calf along with other animals. We were then given Turkish tea and home made Gozleme that his wife had prepared. Yum yum yum! We could not believe the hospitality we were shown and his family were all so welcoming. After our delisious treats we were taken to the village centre 'shop' where all of the Turkish rugs are made. His wife even demonstrated the special weaving technique. We were shown a range of rugs from new to old (one was 100 years old). I know this sounds like he was just trying to sell us something but not once did we feel pressured into buying anything. He explained that half the 'authentic' rugs being sold in parts of Turkey are actually made in China and people also pay ridiculous amounts for the truly authentic rugs.

As a side note, if you are looking for beautiful, hand made, authentic (and fairly priced) Turkish rugs, get in contact with the Huseyin via the hotel.

Our little excursion was such a nice touch to our stay and was definitely the one of the highlights of our trip.

Now back to the hotel. I find it very frustrating when I read comments like the one above because they make it really difficult when trying choose where to stay. The person complained extensively about his negative experience getting to the hotel and with the reception staff. If he had of done his research, he would have known the hotel is a 2 minute walk from the bus stop. It seems as if he was expecting 5 stat service for the price of peanuts.

Our experience at the Sunrise hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are spacious with all the necessary amenities. The pool is amazingly refreshing after sitting in the hot springs. The staff are very generous and welcoming and the facilities were clean and comfortably.

Obviously, our experience with Huseyin made out stay extremely special however nonetheless the hotel was excellent value and comfortable. Thank you for a lovely stay, we will be back.

James and Camille.

• Stayed August 2013
Beijing
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This was absolutely the WORST hotel experience I've ever had in my years of travelling all over the world. My family and I booked this hotel with booking.com. When we arrived in Pamukale, we were approached by street guy who asked us if we had accommodation (let’s call him Mr A, he will appear one more time in later incident). We told him where we were staying, and he insisted on calling the hotel owner to come and collect us from the bus stop. So, we waited 10-15 minutes or so for the promised ride to arrive, but when it didn't we decided to walk to the hotel ourselves. From checking the map beforehand, we knew it was only a couple of minutes walk away. When we arrived at the hotel there was nobody there, but a couple of minutes later the owner arrived on a motor scooter, scowling and looking angry. We guessed he'd just been to collect us. Anyway, we showed him the booking and asked to check in. He snapped back that we had to pay 30 euros cash right this minute. This being the first time I'd used booking.com, I was somewhat surprised, thinking that the charge would already have been placed on my credit card. When I politely asked if this was the case, the owner exploded into a fury - "Have you never stayed in a hotel before? Look at all these other bookings I have! They all pay cash!" he said, waving a sheaf of printouts from booking.com. Accepting that booking.com hadn't charged my card, I paid for the room with a 40 euro note (the only reason we didn’t turn around and walk away was the cancellation policy of booking.com). When we got our 10 euros change, one of my companions, out of habit and as is the custom in Turkey and many other parts of the world, briefly held the note up to the light to check the watermark. Once again, the ill-tempered hotelier was set off - "Why are you checking my money? What’s your problem? I don't want you staying at my hotel. Get out!". I tried in vain to calm him down, and reassure him that no offence was intended, we’ve paid, what we wanted was a room, for only one night, that’s it. but he would have none of it. He returned our 30 euros cash but insisted that he didn't want us to stay at his hotel. Very well then, I offered, we will find somewhere else to stay. But to this he countered "Yes, you stay somewhere else. But I'm calling booking.com and telling them you cancelled the room and that I'm charging the 30 euros to your credit card as a cancellation fee". I laughed and told him he couldn't do that, that we hadn't cancelled but that he had refused as a room. He assured me he would charge for the room, and that it was too bad for us because booking.com would back him. We left and found a better (and cheaper) hotel just down the street, but sure enough within a few minutes my mobile buzzed with a message from my bank saying that 30 euros had been charged to my credit card. I called booking.com straight away, and they said that they'd investigate the matter and get back to me. After speaking with the hotelier (who at that point claimed suddenly not to be able to speak english) the customer service rep form booking.com promised me that they would get back to me via email soon and that I would be refunded. Well, in fact it took over a month and a dozen or so (increasingly angry) emails from me before booking.com finally agreed to refund me. As for the hotelier, I don't know if booking.com accepted the 30 euro refund loss or passed it on to him, so he might have got away laughing with his ill-gotten gains. Looking back on the incident, I think in the beginning he had double booked the rooms in his hotel, and was planning on meeting us at the bus stop and taking us somewhere else. (I concluded this because there are other reviewers being taken to a different hotel, and also later on we met Mr A again, he asked if we’d managed to find the hotel, because he saw us walking away before the owner came, and we went to the wrong direction. The point here was, we didn’t take the wrong way, we walked the exact way to the hotel, so the only reason I could think of him thinking that was, after Mr A called the owner, he was told to keep us there and he expected us to be taken somewhere else.) When we found our own way to the hotel, the owner was unable to do this so decided to simply pick a fight with us and refuse us accommodation. Stealing 30 euros from our credit card was I suppose a crime of opportunity. Anyway, the owner of the Sunrise Aya hotel is not only a very rude and bad tempered man, but also a liar, a cheat and a petty thief. Avoid his scruffy little hotel unless you want to be subjected to abuse and credit card fraud.

p.s. good on them if they change the way of running business, but this was what we have experienced with their hotel, I’d like to get it posted

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank m0912768
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Although this clearly a budget hotel, the service makes it one of my favorites in Turkey. Ismail, the owner's friendly brother, is a whiz at hospitality and always ready to bring you tea or a beer.
The owner drove us, in our car, to the north gate of Pamukkale so that we could walk down the travertine hill without backtracking. We ate both dinners and breakfasts at the hotel - all were great.
The one thing that could use improvement is the bathroom. A shower curtain on a tension rod could really help prevent the bathroom from getting wet while showering.
The best part of staying at Sunrise Aya, however, was the family atmosphere. Everyone was there to talk and help when needed. The baby is adorable too!

Room Tip: We had a triple caning the pool.