“Context matters...”

Plaza Hotel Diyarbakir
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Diyarbakir
Reviewed 18 November 2012

... specifically when you are in Diyarbakır, where "access" matters! I stayed at this hotel, again, on a business trip and I must repeat my usual sentence in all reviews: I did not pay for my accommodation at this hotel. Although I stayed for only 1 night, I definitely have an impression. I checked the price now and it seems quite reasonable in terms of value.

First of all, it is nearly impossible to find a hotel this good in small cities of Turkey. Especially for people like me who have to find good spots for international guests, this hotel is a gem. It is quite close to the city and allows you to go sightseeing or, as the habit goes, to taste the wonderfully spicy and ample food offered by this historic city.

Secondly, the staff were quite helpful and friendly - except for one occasion, which I will explain in a minute. As an example, I couldn't catch breakfast and seeing that, one of the waiters was kind enough to wrap up something for the road for me.

The breakfast buffet was quite rich and served in an uncrowded, large room. Everything looked quite delicious.

The room I stayed in was surprisingly a suite and one of the most spacious ones I have ever stayed at - no balcony but a living room with TV, a bar for complimentary coffee and tea, a separate closet area! I wished I could stay there longer. Everything was prettly clean.

Now, negatives... Firstly, when I entered the room, there was a stench coming from the coffee and tea bar and when I checked it, I saw that the kettle has not been cleaned since the last guest! It was really an unbearable smell and I had to clean it myself.

Second negative point is a bit about problem solving. I had trouble at check-out and although the staff were quite nice at the beginning, I ended up feeling like a person who was trying to evade payment, which is definitely not right.

In any case, if I go back to Diyarbakır, I will (in a way, have to) stay at this hotel. But they can work on their people skills a bit.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with your family, the suites might work for you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Mustafa E, General Manager at Plaza Hotel Diyarbakir, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Ms.Frozenapple ;
First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience at the Dedeman Diyarbakir Hotel whilst staying us.
We do appreciate your positive and negative feedback and we continue to thrive to improve our standard of service at all times.
Your comments have been shared with our Team members accordingly and we are looking forward to Welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.
Kind regards,
M.MUSTAFA ERYILMAZ
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is strike two for this hotel chain. I can't think of even one favorable thing to say. Totally lackluster and uncaring. Rack rates posted are over 190 euros. And the town only has one great tourist feature. Not worth the drive. Stay in MIdyat at a great boutique hotel for half the price. At this location the deadman was filthy, worn down, no AC, forgot wake up call, bland unattractive overlooked buffet. Maybe if you are doing business in the town, it could be okay. My advice here is stay away.

Room Tip: Don't let anyone book this hotel for you unless you are desperate and don't care. Don't...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cstrum
Mustafa E, General Manager at Plaza Hotel Diyarbakir, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your less than enjoyable experience at the Dedeman Diyarbakir Hotel.
We are extremely sorry about the unsatisfactory level of service that you experienced during your stay with us, we do take each and every Guest/s comments very seriously and we can assure that the appropriate measure have been in place in order to avoid a re-occurrence of this sort.
We do hope that we will be in a position to Welcome you back at the Diyarbakir Hotel and redeem ourselves.
Once again, thank you very much for bringing your dissatisfaction with the levels of service to our attention.
Kind Regards,

M.MUSTAFA ERYILMAZ
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Dedeman hotel in Dyarbarkir is no more than an old-fashionned business hotel as you can't find anywhere on the planet. The furnishing is 80's, the bathroom is 80's, the AC is 80's... This place does not deserve a 4 stars rating,a little 3 stars rating in western standards.
The pool is only opened from 10 am to 4 pm, exatly when you don't want to bath, the AC takes hours to cool down an over-warm room and brings smooky smell into your room.
The three only goods things about this place are: a professional staff, a 24/7 wtached parking (not a luxury in Diyarbakir) and a good breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank French G
Reviewed 22 August 2012

At Dedeman Diyarbakir, the staff is professional staff in this business-oriented hotel. The hotel is reasonably close to the city centre, yet not in the centre itself. Wifi was very fast. Breakfast buffet was varied, and the 3 minutes eggs cooked to perfection. In a city which overall feels unsafe, Dedeman Diyarbakir is a haven of security and has 24/7 car park security.

The hotel is in urgent need of a thorough refurbishment. When you step out of the elevator, you travel back to the 80s. The A/C system is pretty ineffecient and blows smoke from smokers rooms even in the non-smoking floors. It is a shame that a hotel priced at over €100 a night equips its rooms with such small TV screens. In the midst of summer the pool has ridiculous opening times from 10am to 4pm -precisely when you don't want to bathe because it's too hot!

My adivice: don't stay there until it's refurbished, and stay at this hotel for business purposes only.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here for one night during a very emotional trip to Diyarbekir (old Dikranagert) which was the home of my Armenian ancestors until 1915. The hotel is located within 5-8 minutes walking distance to the Harput gate of the old city, and to several local restaurants. The area was modern and appeared safe, with hotel located within a few hundred feet off the main road.

The staff was very personable and helpful, spoke sufficient English for us to get by, and the rooms were of modest size, clean and had free WiFi access. The hotel had two functioning elevators.

The traditional Turkish breakfast buffet was plentiful with fresh and dried fruits, boiled eggs, breads, cheeses, olives, jams, tea, coffee and juices.

I would recommend this hotel for tourists visiting this city and staying for a night or two.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stay there last march with my girlfriend have to said very good service and very friendly staff.. Just tell them what u need they will do anything for u.. Was feel like a king. Deffinetly go back. Recommend to everybody...

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Fuat K
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Clean, comfortable and perfecy for business! I recommend this hotel for every sort of travel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business