“The WORST 'hotel' I have stayed at, in the world”
Review of Vatan Hotel

Vatan Hotel
Ranked #59 of 98 Izmir B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I am not going to give too much detail, but to say this.

Nothing in the room was operational; Hot water, AC, Toilet door, TV, WiFi etc.

There were cockroaches in the bathroom.

The staff were hideous. I stayed 2 nights receiving a total of 3 hours sleep due to a staff member in high heels on a marble floor walking by the lower floor rooms from 1am to 5am every 10 minutes, 2 nights in a row. I can't even explain why to you?

I do not like to provide negative reviews, however when this is the worst hotel I have experienced in more than 150 on 5 continents. I feel it important to provide fellow traveler's with a head's up.

To top it off the desk attendant told me it was 50TL for the airport shuttle, when the day prior I was quoted 40TL, upon learning this he begrudgingly said ok.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Choose any other hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 255103Traveller

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked through EBOOKERS here .Arrive at 11 pm to find NO ROOMS though they recvd booking .They made me wait for 2 hours and then took me to the dingiest and cheapest hotel I have seen .It was a 70 sq ft jail .I had to sleep here that night and then come to Vatan for 2nd night stay .Again they made me wait for 2 hours before I got the room .Useless food and un clean rooms .Bloody frauds these guys

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank rajaraman p
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Izmir seemed to be lacking in hostels, and actual "hotels" are - in my mind - expensive places I can rarely afford to stay. This was not the case with Vatan, which gave us moderately clean rooms, WiFi which was usable in the common areas near reception but not in the room, and hot water which eventually worked after changing rooms and waiting for while. Breakfast was nice, staff pretty friendly, and location is good.

Room Tip: The nearer you are to the reception desk, the greater chance that WiFi will actually work in your ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scortchcjr110
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We checked out other hotels in this area as recommended by lonely planet. We found the other hotels to be over our budget. We passed by Vatan hotel and the receptionist was friendly and helpful. We decided to stay here because of the clean building/room, hot water, working heater and best of all it was within our budget.
Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, we received our 5am morning call.
We also went to local restaurants in this area - delicious and affordable with a local flare (instead of tourist restaurants). We felt safe in the area and to our surprise, the businesses are open till late at night.
We would highly recommend Vatan hotel to our friends and families... and would certainly stay here again.

Saeed & Brigitte

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beezer333
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We chose this place due to price, although we have had chaper and cleaner rooms in Izmir before,- (around the block where Pamukkale Buses have an office).
For us the location was ok - walking distance to the Bazar, the Konak area and the old roman Agora.
The hotel entrance/reception looked fine, the staff was very helpful & friendly.
Free coffe or tea all day long.
WiFi signal too low in room - but working from the cosy lobby with a good signal - there it was ok.
Breakfast: Standard turkish - no plus - no minus.
They had a small patio with tables and a small fountainpool) outside the restaurant/breakfast area where people could enjoy a sigarette and coffe or tea. (It only needed a little tyding up).
Narrow street outside with lots of locals walking by all day.
We enjoyed that part of it, but some others might no do so.....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I'm writing this review hoping it will stop others from making the same mistake we did of staying there. It is easily the worst hotel I have ever been in. First impressions at reception was ok. Unfortunately it was all down hill from there. Dirty room,with a strong smell also.No real window in the room, very high level of street noise and music outside the hotel at night. Air conditioning machine was faulty for our entire stay leaking water onto the floor every time we turned it on and never looked at despite asking the staff several times. The staff I felt were trying to rip us off whenever they got the opportunity. An example of this would be different staff members charging different prices for items they were selling. A bottle of coke could double in price in the matter of a few hours depending who you were dealing with. If I tried to explain this to the staff member he would suddenly be unable to speak english.
Eventually decided to leave and find a new hotel and as other former guests have stated suddenly the hospitality disappeared. The owner of the hotel refused to refund any money even though i was accepting there would be a one night penalty and we had paid cash in advance.He was quite arrogant about the whole situation, we left anyway and decided to pay for two hotels rather than continue to stay there! I could go on but hopefully everyone gets the message by now!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank darker1980
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Looks okay from outside and has a nice foyer but rooms are very small and not comfortable. Furthermore the bathroom in our room was very dirty and was not cleaned during our stay. Try to find better hotels because this one is not worth the money you'll have to spend.

• Stayed: September 2012